Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble with wide field nightscapes.

Infinity on lenses is not necessarily infinity.. I use a bahnitov mask from my 80mm frac to focus on a bright near by star than frame the shot... it is always little before or after the infinity marker on the lens.

If you are using the infinity mark on the lens then more or less ignore that, it will be a good indication only, used to have the same on an old manual camera.

Actually for a 12mm I would have thought that a distant tree or hill would have been sufficent, distant being a mile or so. Your other realistic option is pick a bright star - Sirius, Capella - and get the best focus you can on that then don't move the lens. If the moon is out at all use that for focus then go point at the wide field you really want.

Don't think the milky way will be overly useful (depends if you can see it) although the view should alter from sort of blurred to a better indication of lots of points.

Yep, as Olly says, switch on live view and use the zoom feature at 10x (on a Canon) and pick a bright star. Focus to get the smallest image of the star on your camera screen. Leave the focus at that point.

I did see a cute gizmo that you attached to the focus ring and the body of the lens. It was effectively a big sticking out pointer that you could use to get a finer adjustment than turning the focus ring directly. I seem to recall being able to lock the pointer against the backing ring to "lock" the focus.

Found it (or at least something similar): http://focusmaker.com/

Archived