SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first light with my nifty fifty

There is so much wrong with this image that I am hesitant to share it but its an interesting and challenging learning curve!

I am very happy with my first capture of at least some of Barnards loop.

I was surprised at small the FOV was.

Im not sure whether the focus is soft or if it is coma?.....and I need to work on my tracking skills.

Barn door tracker. Canon 40D (modded). 50mm prime lens. ISO 800. 60X1min lights, 10X1 min darks. stacked in DSS and a quick process in photoshop.

all critique is very welcomed.

nifty fifty 1.jpg

I suppose it is very hard to tell if you have pin sharp focus with a 50mm lens..... there is no such thing as a Bahtinov mask for a camera lens..... is there ???

You have spurred me into having a go at this feature.

I'm liking the scale and the star colours.  How did you prevent the bright stars in Orions belt from not over exposing and swamping the image ??

Just now, Craney said:

I suppose it is very hard to tell if you have pin sharp focus with a 50mm lens..... there is no such thing as a Bahtinov mask for a camera lens..... is there ???

There is for a 135mm lens, I use the one from my Star71 - but that only gets you 95% of the way. Any tweaks after that are by eye.

11 minutes ago, Craney said:

Sure is, Starsharp2, not cheap but fits most filter holders, I have the 85mm one that fits my Cokin holder.

Archived