SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Nebula I should be able to view with my Skywatcher Explorer 130m?

pblackwell

Hi all,

Sadly the Orion Nebula is drifting westwards and soon to disappear until next year....

What other Nebula should I be able to view with my telescope? Especially around this time of year.

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130m, a Nebular filter, and sadly light pollution as I'm on the outskirts of London :(

Thanks guys!

Paul

1 hour ago, pblackwell said:

Thanks guys, so I should be able to see the  Owl Nebula M97 and comet 41p with my telescope yes?

I reckon so. M97 does benefit a lot from a filter such as an O-III or a UHC - either of these will make the nebula stand out quite a bit more. The comet and the nearby galaxy M108 won't be helped at all by the filter though so try both with it and filterless.

Note: these objects are quite a bit more challenging to find and observe than M42 !

As John has commented, potentially yes, perhaps dependent on the extent of light pollution and aim to get dark adapted as far as observing circumstances permit. The Globular's are coming, look out for M3, M5 M53 M13 and M92, filter not required.

15 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but would any standard planetary and lunar filters help?  I have these but hardly bother with them. 

IMG_2127.thumb.PNG.ff3562d68b307606063bf64b6dad400f.PNG

Not useful for deep sky objects really. Some find them useful to enhance planetary and lunar features though.

53 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but would any standard planetary and lunar filters help?  I have these but hardly bother with them. 

IMG_2127.thumb.PNG.ff3562d68b307606063bf64b6dad400f.PNG

But I would try them if you're giving them away! ?

Most beginning astronomers wind up buying the colour-filters you have there. And 20 years later - they are still in a case - somewhere - usually collecting dust. Not always - but most often-case scenario! :D

But not so with narrowband "nebula" filters like the UHC & OIII. A filter-nut - like yours' truly - named David Knisely, of the Prairie Astronomy Club in the US, has written-up some excellent papers on these filters and the best objects to use them with. So allow me to add one such document to your arsenal of knowledge:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

And I've turned the above into a Pdf. to keep and use for reference:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae - by Dave Knisely.pdf

Thank you, David Knisely!

Enjoy,

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Most beginning astronomers wind up buying the colour-filters you have there. And 20 years later - they are still in a case - somewhere - usually collecting dust. Not always - but most often-case scenario! :D

yup...have a set myself!

On 21/03/2017 at 13:48, pblackwell said:

Hi all,

Sadly the Orion Nebula is drifting westwards and soon to disappear until next year....

What other Nebula should I be able to view with my telescope? Especially around this time of year.

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130m, a Nebular filter, and sadly light pollution as I'm on the outskirts of London :(

Thanks guys!

Paul

A good target and a bit of a challenge is NGC 6543, the Cat's Eye Nebula in Draco, a little low'ish but worth hunting out if you have clear skies.

https://freestarcharts.com/ngc-6543

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 06:36, Dave In Vermont said:

Most beginning astronomers wind up buying the colour-filters you have there. And 20 years later - they are still in a case - somewhere - usually collecting dust. Not always - but most often-case scenario!

Given what I have bought I have actually missed out on the colour filter experiment.  I don't feel the need for them either, I have for a O-III and a UHC though, although these are only Skywatcher ones.  What I need is a working telescope and some clear skies to try them.

Archived