SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New scope

gonzostar

It will certainly give you a richer, wider field view and will hopefully deliver some laser etched views of the Moon and planets, but the SCT will give great views of galaxies and globulars. They should complement eachother nicely.

I've not yet had chance to use an Explore Scientific ED but they seem to get some good reviews. Enjoy it! ?

Mike

17 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It will certainly give you a richer, wider field view and will hopefully deliver some laser etched views of the Moon and planets, but the SCT will give great views of galaxies and globulars. They should complement eachother nicely.

I've not yet had chance to use an Explore Scientific ED but they seem to get some good reviews. Enjoy it! ?

Mike

We are in Imaging here Mike, so I'm guessing the focal length on the SCT was perhaps challenging?

Yes i am looking forward to using the new scope. As mentioned i am looking forward to the widefield images. Also the sct will be used for lunar and planetry. The ED has focal length  at F7 so still maybe a challenge? 

I have taken images of DSO's with the SCT at F6.3. unguided ang guided(ish) Looking forward  to comparisons. 

Hopefully the the new scope will be "easier" to guide?

Cheers

Dean

1 hour ago, gonzostar said:

Cheers cant wait to use it. I am still waiting for the finder bracket to put in my guidescope.

What scope are you getting?

Dean

Nothing as good as your Explore Scientific ED scope, but just wanting a very portable small 'frac for quick grab and go stuff, in my Goto mount and when I'm away for work too. Saw this from Opticstar and ticked all the boxes; small, light, good quality etc so pressed the button on Monday. :) 

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_62

18 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

No plans as yet,  but later in the year I may get a ZWO colour camera to try some lunar and planetary imaging perhaps. 

Will look forward to seeing your images, and hopefully more clear skies soon!

Dean

23 hours ago, gonzostar said:

Yes i am looking forward to using the new scope. As mentioned i am looking forward to the widefield images. Also the sct will be used for lunar and planetry. The ED has focal length  at F7 so still maybe a challenge? 

I have taken images of DSO's with the SCT at F6.3. unguided ang guided(ish) Looking forward  to comparisons. 

Hopefully the the new scope will be "easier" to guide?

Cheers

Dean

The focal length is 7x102 = 714mm (F ratio x aperture) which is a lot shorter than the SCT even with reducer, so guiding will be easier. (A dedicated flattener is available. I don't know if you'll need this with the DSLR.) This will mean you are imaging at 1.5 arcsecs per pixel with the new scope as opposed to 0.85"PP with the reduced SCT. The good news is that, almost certainly, you will get at least the same real resolution of detail in the wider field image because 0.85 "PP is probably not possible without incredibly good guiding and incredibly good seeing (stable air.) In a nutshell you were trying to do the impossible with the SCT/camera combination whereas you will now be trying to do the possible!

Olly

Thanks Olly 

Very clear explanation as usual thankyou. I am slowly getting there with guiding and using PHD2. Using the astronomy tools indeed it looks more possible in theory with this combination.  I am now very much looking forward to doing the possible! :) 

Cheers

Dean

Archived