Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which image processing software?

gazza

Hi,

I've been dabbling in CCD imaging for years - dabbling because work, weather and finances didn't allow me the time or equipment to really produce satisfying images.

My current state of play is a copy of Photoshop cs5, Astroart and Nebulosity. These have been enough for the quick and dirty processing I've done in the past - mostly calibration, a bit of DDP and maybe a bit of sharpening.

I'm now retired and have placed an order for a Mesu 200... to justify this to myself, I now have to do some "real" image processing. The question is:

Do I really need to shell out 230 euros for Pixinsight? Or is what I've got enough. I've never really delved into complex processing, so I've got some learning ahead of me.

Would appreciate some advice on whether Pixnsight is really better than what I have..or is it just different?

cheers

gary

I cannot comment on the other programs. However, PixInsight is designed as a Astrophotography tool. Not any old imaging software. Personally I find it amazing, the amount of detail it can bring out in the images of DSO's. PixInsight have ( almost? ) fully functioning Trial Version ...I think it comes with a 3 month licence. Why not give it a try and see for yourself!

Good Luck in what ever you chose.

Dave.

I use CS5 for processing and Maxim for calibrating - I VERY occasionally touch Pixinsight. In my opinion there is no one software out there that does it all well. There's no harm in jumping between a number of applications to get you to where you want to be. Will Photoshop be your limiting factor? I would say absolutely not. It has been used by the greats in astro imaging (such as Robert Gendler, Adam Block etc) for years........ Were their images lacking? You decide!!

In my opinion if you spent time honing your skills in Photoshop you'd get great images......

I think it's mostly personal choice - I like PixInsight and consider it excellent value for money but I wouldn't give it 10 out of 10 as I don't like its nomenclature.  Very capable and extensive software though :)  Can do everything in one package (if you want to).

As someone else mentioned download the PixInsight demo as it is fully functional. (I think is valid for 45 days though) Just be prepared to learn new skills and techniques.  I toyed with different post processing software and came to the conclusion that PI met all of my requirements. That said I did / do have to work at it. The Warren Keller Inside PixInsight is a great purchase as well as some other well known websites Light Vortex and Harrys Astro Shed videos, these will get you going.

I am thinking of cancelling my monthly subscription to Adobe for PS cloud as I still have an old copy of PS. I really find that I do need to do much processing in PS after I have been through PI.

Good luck.

Firstly I'd just say, 'Reflect on the cost of your hardware.'  Are you really going to compromise the quality of your images for a bit of software costing 230 euros? That's 230 euros out of how much???

:crybaby2:

There is nothing at all wrong with what you have. (I use CS3, not even CS5) but PI is very important for me in just one area: after colour combining at equal weighting in AstroArt I crop the edges and then run my linear RGB through Dynamic Background Extraction in PI. This is an incredible routine. If you could by an anti-gradient filter for 230 euros that did the same you'd buy it. Anybody would! I then take this back into Ps where I'm more comfortable but the deed is done. I now have a perfectly neutral backround sky and superb colour balance from here on in. And keep in mind the fact that my gradients are mild since my site is SQM 21.3 to 21.9.

If DBE were a glass filter you'd buy it. You really would.

Olly

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Firstly I'd just say, 'Reflect on the cost of your hardware.'  Are you really going to compromise the quality of your images for a bit of software costing 230 euros? That's 230 euros out of how much???

:crybaby2:

There is nothing at all wrong with what you have. (I use CS3, not even CS5) but PI is very important for me in just one area: after colour combining at equal weighting in AstroArt I crop the edges and then run my linear RGB through Dynamic Background Extraction in PI. This is an incredible routine. If you could by an anti-gradient filter for 230 euros that did the same you'd buy it. Anybody would! I then take this back into Ps where I'm more comfortable but the deed is done. I now have a perfectly neutral backround sky and superb colour balance from here on in. And keep in mind the fact that my gradients are mild since my site is SQM 21.3 to 21.9.

If DBE were a glass filter you'd buy it. You really would.

Olly

Hi Olly,

valid points about how much I've already spent - especially on the Mesu ! I also have some other software that is not publicly available that is fabulous for narrow band imaging (which is what I am intending to do as I am 1 km from the centre of a city of 250k people) that may take the place of some of Piinsight. I'll probably buy it, as I have already purchased Warren Keller book on it, and as far as SWMBO, I might as well be slaughtered for the whole carcass as for a leg :-)

Please check your PM's

cheers

Gary

9 hours ago, gazza said:

Hi Olly,

valid points about how much I've already spent - especially on the Mesu ! I also have some other software that is not publicly available that is fabulous for narrow band imaging (which is what I am intending to do as I am 1 km from the centre of a city of 250k people) that may take the place of some of Piinsight. I'll probably buy it, as I have already purchased Warren Keller book on it, and as far as SWMBO, I might as well be slaughtered for the whole carcass as for a leg :-)

Please check your PM's

cheers

Gary

Ah, for NB I think DBE is less important. I never use ot on NB data myself.

Olly

Archived