SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium phone an hour out from Stellarium laptop

Davey-T

Just been trying to find comet 41P/Tuttle-G-K using the co-ords shown by Stellarium on my phone with no luck so checking with laptop and Sky Safari. Stellarium on the phone says RA 9 something and Dec 43 something but Stellarium on laptop says RA 10 something and Dec 53 something, both show the same actual time so what's going on ?

Just going to have another go now with the right co-ords.

Dave

I read on one of the Stellarium update threads here that Stellarium and Stellarium mobile are totally independent entities now. So functionality is not comparable. They may use different sources or update frequency for comet orbital elements.

Which one of the positions is correct I don't know but if either agrees with SkySafari I'd trust that one.

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Just been trying to find comet 41P/Tuttle-G-K using the co-ords shown by Stellarium on my phone with no luck so checking with laptop and Sky Safari. Stellarium on the phone says RA 9 something and Dec 43 something but Stellarium on laptop says RA 10 something and Dec 53 something, both show the same actual time so what's going on ?

Just going to have another go now with the right co-ords.

Dave

I fear mobile edition never updating orbital elements of asteroids/comets by automatic. Detailed explanation can give Guillaume Chereau - maintainer of Stellarium Mobile.

5 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I used to find that Stellarium was always about 12 mins different to every other app when looking for Polaris hour angle for polar alignment never trusted it since.

A 12 minutes? Apparently you have wrong time zone settings.

The US changed to DST about a week ago, we change next week. There is a 2 or 3 weeks period when the US is on DST and we are not. I assume that this is the problem. It sounds as if the mobile version has changed when the US alters.

The same happens at the other end, the US returns to non-DST at a different time then we do.

Archived