Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

6 posts in this topic

I have the Celestron Newtonian reflector which has a 5.1" mirror so I was hoping y'all could give me some beginner, intermediate, and advanced things to find and look at during the spring and summer (besides the moon). As well as what magnification would be best to observe and see closely with plenty of detail. 

Thanks

I'm certain you'll get plenty of different and very good replies here - but I'll start you off with the DSO Browser. This is an excellent website to bookmark and visit at your leisure for images & descriptions of many different objects viewable from your personal location. You can program it to show the types of things you like best - which you can change anytime. Have the link:

https://dso-browser.com/

And, of course, it's totally free.

More will be on the way, and many more tomorrow I'm sure. Do keep in mind the time differences,

Dave

3 people like this

Jupiter will be visible throughout spring, and Saturn comes around late spring/summer :).

1 person likes this

As above Jupiter at say 60x to 100x and Saturn at 100x to 150x - all depending if the scope can clearly deliver these.

DSO's are more difficult, M3 now, later in the year M13, M92 and M57. There is the Leo triplet, will depend on how dark the sky is. Standards are M45,  The Hyades cluster, the double cluster. M31 is always a target but use binoculars for all of it a scope will show the central core only. Aim at Auriga and get M36, M37, M38.

Search out a few good double stars, Alberio, Almaak and others.

I find that a simple option is to load Stellarium, set your location then press F4 and set the DSO magnitude to 6 or 8 and see what is left as visible

1 person likes this

As above Jupiter is a sight to behold! After that the easiest things to find are probably star clusters- have a look at the 'double cluster' in Perseus for something really breathtaking!

Not sure what you are using to find targets but recommend you get a star atlas or possibly the most recommended book in astronomy which is 'Turn left at Orion'-once you have that you will never be short of ideas of what to look at!!

As for magnification just try and see would be my advice!

P.s when selecting targets to aim at you get the best views of targets that are higher in the sky.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By doinurmop
      Yo yo! Ti's my first time posting here, but it seems like a good place to ask such a question. Recently I've been getting into astronomy, really interesting stuff imo. And I've been considering getting a telescope (if the weather clears up within the next few months). Currently I'm just viewing by the naked eye, but since it's been a full moon I was unable to see as many stars as I would otherwise. But I'll stop rambling and get to my question.
      Basically, I've always really accosiated the view of telescopes being just, unclear and blurry. Mainly because I always saw it as strange towards if you can really get a good view, that of course isnt too blurry, just by zooming in and focusing a bit with a telescope. Is that just a misconception of mine? or are telescopes usually rather blurry? Sorry for my newbie question, ahah.
      My second question is where exactly I should look for a telescope if I do decide to buy one. I'm in the UK by the way.
      That should be all for now. Any and all replies are appreciated.
      Thank you~ 

• By The-MathMog
      So guys, I would like to know what objects you guys think, are a good place to start when getting into astrophotography, others than the obvious ones of course. By those I mean the Planets, Orion Nebula, Pleidies, The Andromeda Galaxy. Not that they are necessarily easy, as you could keep improving on them and pull out more data. Just that they are the well know obvious go-to ones.

I've just acquired my first equatorial mount, a Celestron AVX mount, and I will be doing a lot of practice, getting used to the mount, the sky, and my limitations in terms of visibility, before I go deeper into actually doing guided shots.

I am not necessarily looking for objects that will look great at short exposures, but probably more in the vain of being able to distinguish them. Star trails to some extend doesn't bother me.
      So instead of me just trying a lot of different objects that might actually be "out of my league", and not knowing if I have them actually centered in the image, or simple not long enough exposed.

Sure I could keep shooting at the ones that I KNOW I can at least catch to some extend, and improve on those, but I fell that I would rather experience more parts of the sky

Right now the OTA I am using is the Celestron 130SLT OTA, with the 1.3x barlow element from a Baader to achieve focus (Waiting on some screws and bolts, to make a modification that allows for proper prime focus). So anything that will fit in a focal length around 850. Any globular clusters you guys are fond of, or some high surface brightness galaxies? So far I've managed to get the "Black Eye Galaxy" on the sensor (Which was with my SLT mount), so ones with characteristics like that would be of interest too

Cheers!

-Mathias

• By harveywalker2000
      I recently bought a Celestron AstroMaster 76EQ as the man at Maplin recommended after watching a video showing the basic setup tutorial. It says in the video and on the box it has an attached finder-scope. However, when opened I found there was no attached finder-scope and instead a Star Pointer finder-scope (link: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/accessories/navigation/star-pointer-finderscope) with no instructions on installation, just a directed PDF about brackets which were not in the box. What shall I do? Has anybody else had the same problem?
    • By jordan
      I've recently (from the jolly fat man) gotten a Celestron astro master 130eq as my beginner telescope going to be learning to use it correctly over the next how ever long it takes but is there any must haves, extras, attachments that i will use full and will help me along the way

cheers
    • By StarL
      Which telescope would be good for a complete beginner please? It's all too daunting for me and it's got to be something suitable for an 8 year old?
      I have narrowed down to the Meade lightbridge 82 or the skywatcher 707 az2
      Any advice please?