Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Cinco Sauces    261

Is anyone paying attention to R Leonis these days? Data in the AAVSO site indicates it is about mag 9 and around midway through the raising phase. With a raising time of about 4 1/2 months, I recon that we may have a chance of observing the maximum in about two months, or mid May.

In my case (at latitude 59.4) that would be more or less at our "light limit" after which we will not have any real darkness until August, so I understand that I will possibly miss the maximum. Nevertheless, the prospect of getting some better weather during the spring and observing the star increasing its magnitude is in itself a gladdening thought. That would definitely bring some joy to me since we had a dismal cloudy winter here.

Look at the charts below, R Leonis is very easy to find and will surely be fun to follow.

Cheers!

screenshot.png.6472627c77434d0429199628d6821ffc.png

screenshot.png.316ffcd3bafdca8ddffd6b4fb085e87c.png

• Like 5

SilverAstro    2,092

Thanks for the reminder, but rain then trees got in the way this evening,

However R CrB is still presenting nice in binos at 2am local, and so was a consolation :)

• Like 1

Gasman    318

Nice charts which software did you use for those please?

Steve

Gasman    318

Got it `Stellarium` thanks

Cinco Sauces    261
4 hours ago, Gasman said:

Got it `Stellarium` thanks

Yes, it is Stellarium. The upper chart is made using Light Curve Generator, an online tool in AAVSO site.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cinco Sauces
      Late May and Sun barely 9.8 degrees below horizon at midnight, with attending twilight on top of the light pollution. Hopeless? Not at all!
      It was clear and calm, and with staggering +8°C it was mandatory to get out. Stars up to mag 3 were visible with effortless naked eye, mag 4 with a bit of effort. Picked my 15x70 binos and sat in the garden. Spotted R CrB and could estimate it at mag 7.6. The mag 7.4 star to the west was very clear, as was the 8.1. one to the west of comp 7.4.
      Missed R Leo behind the forest and looked in vain for comet C/2015 V2 Johnson, but M13 and Y CVn provided additional joys in this balmy summer night.
      Clearly, one can observe interesting (and bright) variable stars even in the midst of northern summer twilight. A joy I will make sure to appreciate often this summer.
      Cheers!
    • By Cinco Sauces
      Today we had some light snow. Yes, that happens in latitudes like these, no matter if flowers are already in bloom and it was +17 degrees C a week ago. The point is that the cold front cleared the sky and by 21 it was obvious that it will be a goood night.
      A young son and me stopped playing monopoly and promptly setup our scope in the light polluted backyard. We enjoyed Jupiter and catched washed up views of some Messier objects (51, 65, 66 and 3). The young companion then left me alone due to cold and exhaustion.
      I spent the rest of the night catching variable stars. Among them R Leo and Y CVn left me particularly impressed. Their red color is otherworldly. I have seen them before, but this night they were just fantastic. Perhaps the sky was particularly clean today, perhaps it was just me. Who knows? Nights like this are rare, and having the fortune of being able to watch the sky is perhaps sufficient reason to make our brains perceive colours in a more joyous way.
      Hope you also enjoy clear skies (and redder stars too)!
      Cheers
    • By Cinco Sauces
      Just a friendly reminder to have a watch at the recurrent nova T CrB, now that we are approaching its season. As discussed last year, T CrB may possibly be approaching the time of its next outburst. See this fine article in Sky & Telescope. T CrB has been increasing its brightness somewhat since 2015, in a manner that is reminiscent from its behavior in 1938, just 8 years before the 1946 outburst. Do not miss the chance to assist to this great show! Get an eye on this star. It is easy to find and, who knows, she may give us a lovely surprise "soon".
      I just wrote a commentary on this in my astro blog, if you are interested you may have a look here.
      Cheers!
      /H.

• By Cinco Sauces
      Just to tell everyone interested that the cataclismic variable SS Cyg is in outburst right now and since about a day or so and still raising!
      Cheers and enjoy!

• By Cinco Sauces
      Just to chime that the long period (Mira type) variable star Chi Cygni is now above mag 9 and therefore well within the reach of a variety of binoculars. I spotted it a couple of nights ago with my 15x70, at estimated ~8.7 +/- 0.2 mag. May be some of you might want to watch it creep slowly upwards in the coming months, hopefully reaching naked-eye visibility before it sets for the season. Cheers and clear skies!