1.25" Diagonal with 4" Tak Frac

4 minutes ago, John said:

Other designs have that stop as well Dave (though not the Baader Zeiss T2 but thats a modular unit). The TV Everbright has it machined into the barrel but it is nowhere near as thick as WO (and the clones) use, so no vignetting.

I like WO diagonals but I was annoyed that I could not benefit from the full FoV of my longer focal length 1.25" eyepieces, thats all :smiley:

I don't know why they made them so thick. Perhaps I'll (or someone?) write them a letter and ask them about it - citing this thread & discussion.

You never know where the road may lead...

Dave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, iPeace said:

You can use a T-2 spacer ("extension tube") between the prism and the eyepiece clamp to keep your longest 1.25" eyepieces off the glass. They come in 7.5mm and 15mm.

Thanks - good advice - especially if using a Nagler zoom 

22 hours ago, Stu said:

Very wise too, I know to my cost having scratched the surface of a Zeiss Prism before!!!

23 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Thanks - good advice - especially if using a Nagler zoom 

Is this possible with the Nagler Zoom & Tak prism ? 

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

Is this possible with the Nagler Zoom & Tak prism ? 

The prism is tough but repeated contact may in time harm the coatings. I use a binoviewer with a barlow attached to its nose, which comes into contact with the prism. To prevent contact I've rolled rubber O rings over the binoviewer to prevent full insertion and protect the prism surface. You can buy metal spacer rings but they are relatively expensive where as the O rings cost pennies. Also, using rubber O rings means there is no metal to metal contact with the diagonal locking mechanism.

Mike

2017-03-21 23.03.01.jpg

20170321_230028.jpg

10 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

How brilliant is this thread? What we're discussing may be of no interest to all but a billionth of the world's population (or to be more precise about 7.49 people), but for the 7.49 of us, it's been about as enlightening as life gets.

Sounds about right, I'm the 0.49.

Archived