Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I buy an old eq6 or a new eq5

Petar b

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Petar b said:

Why?

Because I have an old black EQ6 and a EQ5 and I far prefer the stability of the 6. If the one you are considering is at a good price, works properly and is manageable for you IMO it's the better bet. Something adequate to use whilst you are saving for the ideal mount and you would likely see your investment back at that point.  :icon_biggrin:

I don't know exactly as it was donated but must be several years old. It does have an on-off switch. I have had 5 black EQ6's over the years with no problems, they have been replaced by EQ6 PRO's as obviously they are an upgrade.  :icon_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Petar b said:

The problem with mine is that it dosen't have a on/off switch

That's a surprise as all the ones I've owned have had an on-off switch as far as I remember. It shouldn't be a problem as the power supply should have potential for an on-off switch.  :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Because I have an old black EQ6 and a EQ5 and I far prefer the stability of the 6. If the one you are considering is at a good price, works properly and is manageable for you IMO it's the better bet. Something adequate to use whilst you are saving for the ideal mount and you would likely see your investment back at that point.  :icon_biggrin:

Out those particular two I'd pick the EQ6 too. Reasons; I've owned 1x eq5 and eq3 with add on motors, and 2 black HEQ5's which have the same integrated motors as the black eq6. Not only are the black HEQ5's/eq6's more stable for a big wind sail like a 200p, their mechanics allow for much longer exposures.

I struggled to get 40sec exposures without star trails with my eq5 but I get several minutes unguided with the black HEQ5's..this is @200-400mm focal lengths. 

I have the eq6 at my house beucase it is from my uncle.

The mount is in pretty good shape and next night I'm going to try to take some photos with the mount and skywatcher mak 102-1300

If i want to buy an used eq6 where should i look

:confused4: Now I really am confused. You said you have the EQ6 mount at home and it's your uncles but then say if you buy used you want to see the mount working?????

If you can trust anyone should it not be your own family? That said can't you just ask him all the history behind the mount and how well it's been looked after. Also if you have the mount and a scope at home can't you see / try for yourself anyway??? :icon_scratch:

4 hours ago, Petar b said:

I meant is that if I am going to buy of ebay or this site http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/.

I will try it for myself but i don't what is the diffrece between black eq6 and new eq5

The black EQ6 is nothing like the standard EQ5. It's a different shape, much larger and heavier and will support a much heavier or longer telescope.  :icon_biggrin:

I had the same dilemma - looked at used ones - 8" newt and used heq5. At the end bought both new 200pds and neq6 pro... As far as I could see on discussions here, heq5 would be strained if used with  8" tube, both weight-wise and if used anywhere with any wind, especially if imaging, which 200pds is supposedly designed for. With some of the reputable suppliers currently out of stock for neq6, maybe sawing for that bit longer would be an option? You would future proof yourself in case of further upgrades..

Archived