Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me choose my retirement setup

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David........whats your gut feeling on this? (not the wife swapping :grin:)

your looking at getting a really nice scope and i am on the verge of calling it a day

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Thanks - in theory I totally agree but this scope give me the worst back ache of all - a shame as it gives the best planetary views and it's best on deep sky.

Interesting comment re the planetary views!

9 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Shortly I will buy a CFF 250mm F/20 Cassegrain plus a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount and a scope buggy to move the whole lot around without having to break it all down (I have a bad back).

Once I have bought the CFF I want to thin my current herd down - all of which I use on a Vixen GP-DX eq head plus Berlebach tripod :

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor

Takahashi FS 128 refractor

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options.

I am a visual/planetary observer.

Which would you keep, which would you sell and why ?

just looked at the cff on ts optics sight. very nice mate

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

A good idea Peter - the wife said the same thing :icon_biggrin:

Definitely the way to go if the wife has given you the thumbs up. She has your best interests at heart! Just imagine no more heavy mount set-up and dismantling. That's what put me off using my FS152, it was too much hassle to set up quickly. I now have a very comfortable observatory and wish I still had the 152. Your 128 in an observatory will be a dream, all you'd have to do is bring the tube in after use. The TSA102 is a great grab and go. 

Mike

I run a Takahashi rescue centre, where unwanted Takahashi telescopes can come and stay free of charge.They'd receive all the love and attention they'd need and get taken out for regular observing sessions, or at least they would do if anyone ever took me up on my kind offer. Of course, if you did send any of your Taks to my rescue centre, you'd still be able to visit them. :happy11:

Mike

On 20/03/2017 at 19:59, nightfisher said:

David........whats your gut feeling on this? (not the wife swapping :grin:)

your looking at getting a really nice scope and i am on the verge of calling it a day

Hi Jules,

My thoughts so far are keep the two Taks, sell the Mak and the Newt and buy the 10" CFF and a Pulsar observatory........

I would not call it a day Jules - astronomy is all about the long game - we have just have some really clear nights - hope you managed to try out the 120ED ?

Archived