Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

dweller25

Help me choose my retirement setup

38 posts in this topic

Shortly I will buy a CFF 250mm F/20 Cassegrain plus a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount and a scope buggy to move the whole lot around without having to break it all down (I have a bad back).

Once I have bought the CFF I want to thin my current herd down - all of which I use on a Vixen GP-DX eq head plus Berlebach tripod :

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor

Takahashi FS 128 refractor

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options.

I am a visual/planetary observer.

Which would you keep, which would you sell and why ?

well I'd sell those Taks....people will be falling over themselves to buy them. Keep the dob because of the bang for bucks.

2 people like this

If you do sell the Taks I would be interested in both, especially the fs128.

The Intes & one Tak would defo have to go if the choice was mine.

1 person likes this

yer anything what starts with T, wish I had one to beable to think about it, the 128 would be my dream scope. charl.

1 person likes this

Have a think about a trip to the "light side" ?

All those days sitting around at home, plenty of chances to pop out to view our star :)

A nice Lunt or a quark may be a worthy addiition to your list?

1 person likes this

As retirement scopes I'd stick to the Tak 102 and 128 and let the rest go and forget a big, heavy, slow to cool cassegrain alltogether :icon_biggrin:

Either that or sell all but the 8" OO and go on a nice world tour !

I'm finding that I want easy to use and fine image quality more and more these days, as I get older :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
4 people like this

I would keep the Taks.

2 people like this

When I retired I only had one scope, now I've got 8, LOL

Dave

4 people like this

I can't get my head around the potential weight of a 250mm cas plus the tripod to take it. Unless it lived on the buggy to both move and observe it doesn't shout useable for our infrequent observing opportunities.

Edit: quick conversion and 8 inches sounds a lot less weighty.

I'd keep at least one of your quality refractors I'm going for the 102mm as hopefully very easy to move and setup and grab and go sessions.

Edited by happy-kat
1 person likes this

250mm f/20 is 5 metre fl. According to the CFF site it weighs in at 13kg. TBH I'm not sure an AZ-EQ6 will be happy with that on it. It's not the weight so much as the fl.

Are you going to be running it in EQ or AZ mode? The fact that you're thinking of trollying it around the garden suggests the latter, as you'd be constantly re-aligning it.

Although not currently a planetary observer, I have done some in the past, and I'd be thinking of a much better mount (GM1000 min) on a pier.

I think out of all your 'scopes the one I'd keep is the Tak128.

1 person likes this

Keep the Taks, dispose of the rest.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor -  KEEP/SELL -  if you ever travel then this might be an easier option to put in the car and could be your 'widest field' scope for those occasions you want a 'wander'. But if you want to go to just two then I'd sell this.

Takahashi FS 128 refractor - KEEP - when seeing is not so great or you want a wider field then this will be a far better option than the newt and presumably optically excellent.

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov - SELL -  I'd definitely sell this as it's really unlikely to be used assuming conditions are good enough for the 10"

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options. - SELL -  I'd sell this as there seems little point given comments about and your observing preferences

The above leaves you with a trio(or duo) of excellent scopes for a number of purposes.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Shortly I will buy a CFF 250mm F/20 Cassegrain plus a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount and a scope buggy to move the whole lot around without having to break it all down (I have a bad back).

Once I have bought the CFF I want to thin my current herd down - all of which I use on a Vixen GP-DX eq head plus Berlebach tripod :

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor

Takahashi FS 128 refractor

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options.

I am a visual/planetary observer.

Which would you keep, which would you sell and why ?

if it was me. i would keep 1 tak, which would make a great finder or counterbalance

and probably keep the dob for quick easy set up

then like john go on a nice holiday

2 people like this

Keep the TSA102, smaller scope easy to set up, and light weight

1 person likes this

My, that CFF 250 is a thing of beauty! I'd like one myself :smile:

Apart from your new scope, keep the Tak 128. It's the highest quality scope there.

All the rest can go - they are just repeating what you already have for no gain.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, estwing said:

well I'd sell those Taks....people will be falling over themselves to buy them. Keep the dob because of the bang for bucks.

Thanks - in theory I totally agree but this scope give me the worst back ache of all - a shame as it gives the best planetary views and it's best on deep sky.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Plantins said:

If you do sell the Taks I would be interested in both, especially the fs128.

The Intes & one Tak would defo have to go if the choice was mine.

Thanks  - the Intes is actually a superb scope but gives views very similar to the FS 128

23 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Thanks - in theory I totally agree but this scope give me the worst back ache of all - a shame as it gives the best planetary views and it's best on deep sky.

You really should try an observation chair 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Have a think about a trip to the "light side" ?

All those days sitting around at home, plenty of chances to pop out to view our star :)

A nice Lunt or a quark may be a worthy addiition to your list?

Actually I did have a Lunt but let it go !!!

5 hours ago, John said:

As retirement scopes I'd stick to the Tak 102 and 128 and let the rest go and forget a big, heavy, slow to cool cassegrain alltogether :icon_biggrin:

Either that or sell all but the 8" OO and go on a nice world tour !

I'm finding that I want easy to use and fine image quality more and more these days, as I get older :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John - I have noticed the trend in easier to use setups......

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

When I retired I only had one scope, now I've got 8, LOL

Dave

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: - why not ?  :headbang:

I would keep the Intes 180 if it is easier to mount and use than the Tak 128mm. A nice, light portable scope is a great asset and priority,IMHO.

Great scopes BTW David!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Keep the TSA102, smaller scope easy to set up, and light weight

Yes Jules - I think the TSA is the one on the keep list

2 people like this

1 minute ago, dweller25 said:

Yes Jules - I think the TSA is the one on the keep list

If your set on the CFF 250 then with the 102 TSA you would have all bases covered

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

If your set on the CFF 250 then with the 102 TSA you would have all bases covered

You are right, but I really like the FS128 and the IM715 !!!!!!! :help: