Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

dweller25

Help me choose my retirement setup

Recommended Posts

dweller25    867

Shortly I will buy a CFF 250mm F/20 Cassegrain plus a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount and a scope buggy to move the whole lot around without having to break it all down (I have a bad back).

Once I have bought the CFF I want to thin my current herd down - all of which I use on a Vixen GP-DX eq head plus Berlebach tripod :

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor

Takahashi FS 128 refractor

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options.

I am a visual/planetary observer.

Which would you keep, which would you sell and why ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
estwing    4,493

well I'd sell those Taks....people will be falling over themselves to buy them. Keep the dob because of the bang for bucks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantins    32

If you do sell the Taks I would be interested in both, especially the fs128.

The Intes & one Tak would defo have to go if the choice was mine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xtreemchaos    9,833

yer anything what starts with T, wish I had one to beable to think about it, the 128 would be my dream scope. charl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alanjgreen    865

Have a think about a trip to the "light side" ?

All those days sitting around at home, plenty of chances to pop out to view our star :)

A nice Lunt or a quark may be a worthy addiition to your list?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    17,555

As retirement scopes I'd stick to the Tak 102 and 128 and let the rest go and forget a big, heavy, slow to cool cassegrain alltogether :icon_biggrin:

Either that or sell all but the 8" OO and go on a nice world tour !

I'm finding that I want easy to use and fine image quality more and more these days, as I get older :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davey-T    9,261

When I retired I only had one scope, now I've got 8, LOL

Dave

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
happy-kat    3,076

I can't get my head around the potential weight of a 250mm cas plus the tripod to take it. Unless it lived on the buggy to both move and observe it doesn't shout useable for our infrequent observing opportunities.

Edit: quick conversion and 8 inches sounds a lot less weighty.

I'd keep at least one of your quality refractors I'm going for the 102mm as hopefully very easy to move and setup and grab and go sessions.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveS    2,424

250mm f/20 is 5 metre fl. According to the CFF site it weighs in at 13kg. TBH I'm not sure an AZ-EQ6 will be happy with that on it. It's not the weight so much as the fl.

Are you going to be running it in EQ or AZ mode? The fact that you're thinking of trollying it around the garden suggests the latter, as you'd be constantly re-aligning it.

Although not currently a planetary observer, I have done some in the past, and I'd be thinking of a much better mount (GM1000 min) on a pier.

I think out of all your 'scopes the one I'd keep is the Tak128.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    9,980
3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor -  KEEP/SELL -  if you ever travel then this might be an easier option to put in the car and could be your 'widest field' scope for those occasions you want a 'wander'. But if you want to go to just two then I'd sell this.

Takahashi FS 128 refractor - KEEP - when seeing is not so great or you want a wider field then this will be a far better option than the newt and presumably optically excellent.

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov - SELL -  I'd definitely sell this as it's really unlikely to be used assuming conditions are good enough for the 10"

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options. - SELL -  I'd sell this as there seems little point given comments about and your observing preferences

The above leaves you with a trio(or duo) of excellent scopes for a number of purposes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faulksy    3,282
3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Shortly I will buy a CFF 250mm F/20 Cassegrain plus a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount and a scope buggy to move the whole lot around without having to break it all down (I have a bad back).

Once I have bought the CFF I want to thin my current herd down - all of which I use on a Vixen GP-DX eq head plus Berlebach tripod :

Takahashi TSA 102 refractor

Takahashi FS 128 refractor

Intes Micro 180mm Maksutov

Orion optics 200mm F/6 Newtonian - dob and eq mounting options.

I am a visual/planetary observer.

Which would you keep, which would you sell and why ?

if it was me. i would keep 1 tak, which would make a great finder or counterbalance

and probably keep the dob for quick easy set up

then like john go on a nice holiday

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nightfisher    6,513

Keep the TSA102, smaller scope easy to set up, and light weight

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Spock    5,065

My, that CFF 250 is a thing of beauty! I'd like one myself :smile:

Apart from your new scope, keep the Tak 128. It's the highest quality scope there.

All the rest can go - they are just repeating what you already have for no gain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
5 hours ago, estwing said:

well I'd sell those Taks....people will be falling over themselves to buy them. Keep the dob because of the bang for bucks.

Thanks - in theory I totally agree but this scope give me the worst back ache of all - a shame as it gives the best planetary views and it's best on deep sky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
5 hours ago, Plantins said:

If you do sell the Taks I would be interested in both, especially the fs128.

The Intes & one Tak would defo have to go if the choice was mine.

Thanks  - the Intes is actually a superb scope but gives views very similar to the FS 128

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
estwing    4,493
23 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Thanks - in theory I totally agree but this scope give me the worst back ache of all - a shame as it gives the best planetary views and it's best on deep sky.

You really should try an observation chair 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
4 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Have a think about a trip to the "light side" ?

All those days sitting around at home, plenty of chances to pop out to view our star :)

A nice Lunt or a quark may be a worthy addiition to your list?

Actually I did have a Lunt but let it go !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
5 hours ago, John said:

As retirement scopes I'd stick to the Tak 102 and 128 and let the rest go and forget a big, heavy, slow to cool cassegrain alltogether :icon_biggrin:

Either that or sell all but the 8" OO and go on a nice world tour !

I'm finding that I want easy to use and fine image quality more and more these days, as I get older :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John - I have noticed the trend in easier to use setups......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

When I retired I only had one scope, now I've got 8, LOL

Dave

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: - why not ?  :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jetstream    4,076

I would keep the Intes 180 if it is easier to mount and use than the Tak 128mm. A nice, light portable scope is a great asset and priority,IMHO.

Great scopes BTW David!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Keep the TSA102, smaller scope easy to set up, and light weight

Yes Jules - I think the TSA is the one on the keep list

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nightfisher    6,513
1 minute ago, dweller25 said:

Yes Jules - I think the TSA is the one on the keep list

If your set on the CFF 250 then with the 102 TSA you would have all bases covered

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dweller25    867
3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

If your set on the CFF 250 then with the 102 TSA you would have all bases covered

You are right, but I really like the FS128 and the IM715 !!!!!!! :help:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×