Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In exile!

Rusted

Welcome to SGL sir.
You sound as though you could be around my age if you have spent 60 years in Telescope making.
Your description on wrestling with the Farmers Dome suggests it was an old Silo Top, and If so, I know what you mean
when you described it's size and weight. I found out on the grapevine, that  local farmer had disposed of a Silo top, and had chucked dismantled it into
a disused quarry. I drove out to have a look at it, and decided I could make a good dome from it, If I could reduce it's dimensions somewhat.

So full of excitement, I borrowed a tractor and trailer from a Farmer I knew well, and drove the 10 miles to the said quarry, where I proceeded to drag each section
up and out of the place, almost killing myself in the process.  The leafs of the silo, were fibre glass, set in individual frames, and no lightweights.
however, I managed to get it all onto the trailer, and got It home, unloaded, and into my back garden with the help of a neighbour.
After about a month of cutting sawing, and trying in vain to construct a dome of suitable size to go atop the extended part of my garage,
which was to be my Observatory, I gave up on the project as it became obvious it was not going to cooperate. My engineering skills were no great shakes.

Quite simply I gave up. Although I did make dome eventually, after  local light engineering firm  made me support track for grooved wheels, a superstructure for
the dome skins, which I cut from galvanised sheeting, and got the whole thing up and running inside a month.
Trouble was, the ring was bolted  onto  L brackets extending from each brick wall, which meant the roof had to conform to the circular ring,. and keeping
it permanently sealed was almost impossible. The dome was quite heavy, it caused flexure in the roof, and the seal would fail, and when it rained, it leaked.
the only solution was to suspend ducting from the ring internally, and catch the water as it leaked in. I was able to pipe it out through the Obs. wall into a drain.
that worked very well. 

I enjoyed the dome, obviously,  it was the right environment for Observing, or Imaging, and no  stray light getting in.
It got a bit scruffy in time though, not aesthetic like the modern construction are, and the wife moaning on led to it having to come down.
I have Roll Off Roof one now, still does a good job though.
Enjoy your experience of this forum, we have loads of fine members, who are very helpful, cooperative, and loads of experience and knowledge
which they are happy to share.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Doug, and all the others who kindly responded with a welcome.

I have searched for silo domes for most of my life but never found one for sale.

They never looked easy to convert, either. So well done for taking so much trouble.

The great advantage of my latest, calf shelter, dome idea is easily manageable weight.

Plus it has only three components.  A few nuts and bolts and it is complete and waterproof.

The up and over shutter will need to be constructed and the center segment cut out.

Rotation requires a laminated plywood ring and rubber wheels for support and centering.

I have just cycled 18 miles round trip to a calf-rearer who has an assortment of "igloos" including the domed variety.

I would have liked to take one of the calves home, they were so curious and sweet.

Probably Jerseys, with beautiful coats and great big eyes and eyelashes.

It's hard to see the animals for fencing and I was really trying to capture the dome, not them.

This dome has seen years of rough farm use and is still holding together.

The black line is just a mark not a crack.

P1270204 rsz 500.JPG

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

Hi Doug, and all the others who kindly responded with a welcome.

I have searched for silo domes for most of my life but never found one for sale.

They never looked easy to convert, either. So well done for taking so much trouble.

The great advantage of my latest, calf shelter, dome idea is easily manageable weight.

Plus it has only three components.  A few nuts and bolts and it is complete and waterproof.

The up and over shutter will need to be constructed and the center segment cut out.

Rotation requires a laminated plywood ring and rubber wheels for support and centering.

I have just cycled 18 miles round trip to a calf-rearer who has an assortment of "igloos" including the domed variety.

I would have liked to take one of the calves home, they were so curious and sweet.

Probably Jerseys, with beautiful coats and great big eyes and eyelashes.

It's hard to see the animals for fencing and I was really trying to capture the dome, not them.

This dome has seen years of rough farm use and is still holding together.

The black line is just a mark not a crack.

P1270204 rsz 500.JPG

Ah!  Sorry, I misunderstood you, Calf domes look a  better proposition as an Astro Dome.                                                    I'm going to use my name after each post I make,  too many replies are calling  me  Doug. for some reason.  

My name  is Ron. ?

8 minutes ago, barkis said:

Ah!  Sorry, I misunderstood you, Calf domes look a  better proposition as an Astro Dome.                                                    I'm going to use my name after each post I make,  too many replies are calling  me  Doug. for some reason.  

My name  is Ron. ?

Doug Larson. :icon_biggrin:

Dave

55 minutes ago, barkis said:

My name  is Ron. ?

Hi Ron

Sincere apologies.

Have you seen Doug?  :wink2:

5 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Hi Ron

Sincere apologies.

Have you seen Doug?  :wink2:

The only Doug I know of, is SGL Member  Cloud buster, I think there was a a mall glitch with the forum software at some point, which did something to screw up the Quote function,  I may be wrong, but I think the confusion  arose from that.          It's no big deal, not sure If Doug gets my name popping up from time to time. ?

2 minutes ago, barkis said:

The only Doug I know of, is SGL Member  Cloud buster, I think there was a a mall glitch with the forum software at some point, which did something to screw up the Quote function,  I may be wrong, but I think the confusion  arose from that.          It's no big deal, not sure If Doug gets my name popping up from time to time. ?

Perhaps you should move "Doug Larson "  nearer to the quote Ron ?

Dave

Archived