SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY rotating Nissen Hut or Pulsar 2.7m?

Rusted

On 22/07/2018 at 11:20, Whistlin Bob said:

Wow! What a brilliant project!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Here's some more progress:

Building clad in 1/2" grooved ply.

Doorway to come onto the veranda at top left [West] and on the ground floor facing South.

P1330753 rsz 600.JPG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You'll have to start renting it out to the local Astro society \ University ....

I don't know of any and I don't think they know I exist.  :wink2:

• 2 months later...

Yet another update:

Primed, painted and now working on veranda handrails.

For those of you who have followed my build "in another place" I have been banned for mentioning home built, H-alpha telescopes.

More details than you ever wanted continue to pour down on my Fullerscopes blog. :wink2:

P1350013 rsz 600.JPG

P1340982 rsz 600.JPG

Hi James,

Thanks. It must be getting quite close now.

I have been so busy with the build that I haven't really thought about using the observatory yet.

I just had my first rain test of the newly painted dome.

A couple of small leaks high up. If I can get a second coat of paint on before winter they might just disappear. No drips though.

Lots of fun yet to be had dragging the telescope(s) "upstairs" and bunging them onto my big DIY Goto mounting on its 14' tall pier.

I have my 7" f/12 DIY refractor in straight and folded form. The 6" [120mm equiv] H-a DIY refractor and a 10" f/8 mirror I still need to mount properly.

Now I need some dim, red LEDs to find my way about in there without banging my head on the counterweights or falling through the open trapdoor.  :wink2:

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

My 20' tall, 3m/10' birch plywood observatory is finally, very close to finished.

Though there is always more to do.

Presently housing my 7" f/12 and 6" f/8 refractors. The latter is for solar H-a.

Both mounted on my home made GEM with 50mm stainless steel shafts on its 14'6" pier.

Now running ASCOM-AWR Gotos thanks to the latest Platform update.  

P1350064 rsz.JPG

P1350091 rsz.JPG

P1350041 rsz.JPG

Thank you all for your encouragement. :thumbsup:

The long tube 7" refractor was rather too bulky for the 10' dome.

So I swapped it for the more compact folded version today.

I'll add the solar refractor and a 'finder' tomorrow.

It is clear here tonight so I'm off to have look at Mars before it changes its mind. 

P1350169 rsz 600.JPG

Archived