Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

Rusted

DIY rotating Nissen Hut or Pulsar 2.7m?

Rusted    84

I'm afraid it's all looking a bit like a bomb site:

I have been lifting and moving massive boulders for days.

These were buried in the ground as a retaining wall for the shed's foundations.

Below the 2' [10cu.m. or 20tons] of sand and gravel I had just wheel-barrowed in.

The octagon of cast concrete footings are at last lined up at the correct radius.

Though still with variable level yet to be fixed with more digging.

What doesn't kill you just makes you exhausted. :unsure:

P1270679 rsz 500.JPG

Rusted    84

Using cord to run stretched lines across the octagon of footings helped confirm placement.

I could then back-fill all the gravel dug out for the footings and boulder removal.

Still need more gravel. Including some to back-fill the pier pipe around four concrete anchors.

P1270685 rsz 500.JPG

Rusted    84

After sorting out the spacing and levels of the concrete footings I made a test gauge with the miter saw.

Two off-cut stumps of the 100x100mm main posts attached at 22.5° to a 108cm x 45mm x 145mm board.

I can now start mass producing cross braces to support the eight 12' [4m] high posts of the 2-storey 3m [10'] diameter octagon.

There will be three cross braces per side to act as perimeter joists fixed by two 100mm screws each.

Ground floor, obs.floor @ 2.6m high and dome ring @ 4m.

The image shows the test gauge resting on two [height adjustable] footing brackets.

The real posts will be 12' high to reach the dome ring.

Gravel chippings will be laid over the self compacting sand&gravel for neatness.

P1270748 rsz 500.JPG

Rusted    84

An image of the planned observatory..

octagon arched dome 4 rsz 600 txt.jpg

• Like 1

Rusted    84

Trial erection of my first two 4m [12'] posts to check safety and working methods using lashed stepladders.

Each new post is raised and leaned against the ladders' top cross brace until it can be brought upright and tied to the ladder.

Then I will add the 2" x 6" perimeter joists to tie the octagon together.

Then the ladders are moved onto the next post and the addition of joists repeated.

Timber braces will aid the stability of the structure until it is completed.

P1270811 rsz 600.JPG

Rusted    84

Despite the hot weather [66F] I managed to raise five more posts and brace them with the perimeter joists. 

Now seven: View from upstairs window:

P1270838 rsz 600.JPG

• Like 1

Rusted    84

All eight vertical posts and perimeter joists completed.

It is remarkably stiff considering it is just an outline shell.

No problem supporting a ladder on any upper component.

Now to add some more joists. :thumbsup:

P1270881 rsz 600.JPG

• Like 3

Rusted    84

Just an update: I have temporarily fitted my first, doubled 2"x8" beams onto their timber brackets.

I still need to glue and bolt the brackets into place. Presently researching a suitable "glue".

P1270944 rsz 600.JPG

Rusted    84

Progress continuing: Main structure almost complete.

Now fitting larch floorboards.

The view is amazing! :thumbsup:

P1280130 rsz 600.JPG

• Like 2

Rusted    84

Just another progress update:

My isolated 12' high pier is now a four sided pyramid of timber 100x100mm [4x4s] bolted to carport concrete anchors/footings.

The top part will be sheathed in plywood and timber braces down below for extra stiffness.

My Jumbo 'warehouse/stores' obs. access ladder has arrived.

All aluminium, with stainless steel handrails extending 1m above the top tread at obs. floor level for easy transition.

The top tread is exactly at obs. floor level. Solid as a rock, it will eventually be resting on large paving slabs.

Now I have the ladder I can start fixing the 125mm [5"] planed, larch floorboards to the obs. floor.

The pyramidal pier required re-siting some of the original obs. floor joists.

P1280355 rsz 600.JPG

P1280385 rsz 600.jpg

Rusted    84

Hi

Just another update:

I have the DIY heavy mounting up on the 12' pier and the 7" f/12 refractor mounted.

Busy cladding the pyramidal pier with plywood for extra stiffness.

Working alone, I had to use opposed builder's stepladders to lift the massive 250lb mounting into place.

P1280751 rsz.JPG

P1280762 rsz 600.JPG

P1280725 rsz 600.JPG

• Like 2

Demon Barber    627

The mind boggles!!!!!!!!!!!! What a thing of beauty ,i applaud your vision,just love it.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

ollypenrice    17,361

New to this thread, but loving it!

Olly

• Like 1

Star101    157

Very interesting.

• Like 1

Rusted    84

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in my project. It all helps to keep me going. :smile:

Here's another image taken yesterday after I trimmed and fixed the obs. floor.

I had to be careful to isolate the 12' tall 4x4 pyramidal pier posts from the floor.

Boarding the veranda is next. Each section will run parallel with the octagon sides.

Then I shall need outer railings for safety. And a dome, or rotating roof, of course.

P1280865 rsz 600.JPG

• Like 1

Rusted    84

Still progressing with the build:

Veranda now planked with larch boards.

Tried various mock-ups of potential rotating roofs/domes to ensure telescope clearance.

598f3f3b8a6b1_P1290055rsz600.JPG.ddde5d138a8b1c1d515eb41e6012b6f9.JPG

Rusted    84

Hi

Just another heads up to say that dome rib production is well underway.

These will be reinforced with sandwich battens on their outer edges.

Then clad with trapezoid, plywood panels rather than conventional gores.

The idea is to break up the dome's outline with facets to present a [hopefully] smaller "blot."

Paul Robinson's Geo-Dome.Co.UK website may inspire: 

Trapezium Dome calculation tools

P1300084 rsz 500.JPG

• Like 1

Rusted    84

Another update: Dome progress: Halfway:

P1300239 rsz 500.JPG

Rusted    84

Still making progress on 16 sided, trapezium dome:

P1300594 rsz 500.JPG

• Like 3

Peter Drew    5,446

Rotating Nissen hut type observatory for a 8.5" refractor.

127.JPG

127.JPG

Rusted    84

Thanks, Peter.  :thumbsup: 

The half cylinder really has lots going for it.

Unfortunately I couldn't get your design past the "planning committee."

Geodesic was considered a bit too demanding and perhaps a bit fussy.

So we finally settled on a 16 sided trapezium dome as a multifaceted compromise.

The hope was to break up the outline against the background trees so it wasn't so [blindingly] obvious from the main road.

I set up a half hoop of white conduit as a full scale dome outline and it could be seen for miles! 

We don't want people falling off the road while rubber necking my modest, rural carbuncle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By maxchess
      Just starting my build and found advice of others really helpful. Appreciate views of others on my build before I get too far. I am building the Observatory for My HEQ5 with a short fast refractor for imaging and my LX90 SCT mainly for viewing, so my pier  must allow me to easily swap scopes if necessary.
      Design principles and interesting features:
      Basic design: Concrete Plinth + Altair Steel Pier + Off-the Peg Shed
      Pier: I chose the Altos pier because it looked sturdy and allowed some final leveling and North orientation after installation. It has a variety of fixing options and adapters, plus I might move and could take it with me. https://www.altairastro.com/altair-skyshed-8-observatory-pier.html
      Shed: Went for a 10 x 6 shed. Intend to build just a 6x6 roof, which will slide over the other 4 foot bit + 2 foot more. The four foot section will be the warm room with a flat roof. I can build the internal partition after the shed is erected. Wanted a Shed that could be easily adapted and found the "Rowlinson Premier Shiplap Apex Shed 6X10"  Price: £514.99  inc delivery This is good quality, but the real bonus is that the apex sections are separate. You build the four walls at level height and then the two apexes go on the ends. This will allow me to then easily adapt the design by attaching rails to the bottom box section and then wheels to the roof bit. The shed sides are also slightly taller than a standard shed at 172cms giving me some welcome headroom. The roof comes in sections, so building just the 6 foot bit looks straight forward (In theory). It is worth shopping around for sheds as the same model can be different prices on different sites.
      Wheels and Rail:    I think this bit is neat, I am using a wooden slotted fence posts as the rails.  Wheels: B&Q  TENTE FIXED CASTOR 45MM    product code 3700001799978 price £2.14 each  rated as 40kg each and I am using 8 of them for a 6 foot roof   Rails: B&Q NEVA HALF WOODEN FENCE POST 70X35X1800MM    product  3663602942825  £7 each and I am using two on each side for a total length of just under 12 foot. I looked at Aluminium rails but during a wander round B@Q I found these wood posts with grooves in them. I tried the wheels in store and it looks fine. Added advantage that they can also form part of my Obs structure. 
      Pier base: As per Altair instructions a very large hole in the ground filled with concrete. However my base is a plinth that protrudes 35cm above the base level. I calculated the height needed to elevate the pier so that my tallest mount (The LX90) would just fit under the closing roof. If I had mounted the pier at ground level I would have reduced my min elevation angle to 60 degrees for my shortest scope/mount combination. With the extra height I get down to 25 degrees, less if I raise the pier head. The pier also has a narrow central hole, so I have run a cable in a 12mm pipe through the concrete block and up through the middle of the pier.
      Shed Base: Paving stones laid after the pier is installed. I will run a 40mm pipe under the slabs to carry all the other cables to the pier.
      Today I completed the first stage and poured the concrete for the pier base and plinth as per the instructions on the altair web site.  The concrete goes  80cm below the ground and 45cm above, with a 10cm base that leaves a 35cm plinth. I used a wooden former to contain the concrete above ground. I made it of 9mm ply with screws every few inches. On top I attached a template holding the fixing bolts which were pressed into the soft concrete. Even so the weight of the concrete nearly burst the mold and I had to reinforce with paving slabs. See picture, but it looks fine now. See pictures)
      I should add that I employed a local garden handyman to dig the hole and pour the concrete. 
      The next stage is to lay the slabs for the base. Any comments most welcome, especially as they could save me from an imminent disaster, but so far so good.
      Max

• By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      My girlfriend and I have just come back from Sardinia island in Italy. One thing we did down there was to visit an amateur observatory. We did didn't plan to do this in advance so we just go up there to see if we could find anyone there. No luck with that but we got a very beautiful view from the summit.

Here are a couple of photos from the place:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/sardinia-observatory/sardinia-observatory.html

What a dream, 1100 meters altitude!

There is also a link to the astronomy club, if you plan a visit in advance you maybe will get a chance to have the guided tour, I think they have one every Friday with clear sky.

A very nice place, visit it if you are nearby!

/Lars
    • By MikeODay
      No doubt many of you already know about this but I came accross this free ebook and I thought some of you might be interested ...

The book has 188 pages and includes around 70 odd black and white images of nebulae and clusters captured in the few years at the end of the 1800s and early 1900s.

One example is plate 55, the Trifid Nebula

The ebook can be downloaded for free from :  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36470

• By Astrofriend
      To have all the needed equipment easy to use and functional is important out there in the dark. I have earlier built an astroserver and put it in a box with wheels together with a car battery. That was in mind of to be portable. The astroserver work as a standalone unit and I control it remotly. As I see it it's a lot of advantages to have it like that when doing astrophotography.

You can read about the details here:
      http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit.html

But now when I'm ready to start to use my new observatory there is some different needs that the astroserver and it's power unit must be corrected for. My old astroserver works very well so I will keep most of the parts but remove the battery from it and have the battery stationary in the observatory. There are some other details that I have corrected too.

As usual I have taken some photos and written text to it so you can follow my work:
      http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit-ver2.html

I hope you find something you can use, or at least one little small detail.

/Lars
    • By AKB
      New everything... observatory, mount, Hyperstar, ... it was also rather novel having a clear sky on the night of August 10, between about 11pm and 1am.  On the down side, there was quite a bright moon.  Still, you can't have everything.
      This was a shake-down session with all the new gear, so nothing really adjusted or tweaked to any great extent, and I wasn't expecting anything special.  As usual, I just set the exposure to 60 seconds (except for M51 where I got it wrong) and pointed at a few things.  Came to an end as the laptop ran out of power (mains power since connected!)  Some findings from the session:
      Observatory:
      What a joy not to have to set everything up (or break it down again.) Mount:
      I'd done a rough PA on an earlier night, but checked it again with SharpCap (which says it got me to within  ~45") My previous mount (HEQ-5 with belt mod) was OK, but this one (Avalon M-Uno) is spectacular in stability, pointing accuracy, and zero backlash. Didn't bother with guiding Hyperstar:
      I checked the collimation on Altair, and without any adjustment it looked fine focused with a Bahtinov mask - so easy to get spot on the with Avalon FOCS focuser drive controlled by the mount made no attempt to route the camera cable neatly (something for later) need to improve my fixing of a dew shield (think it led to some vignetting) Here's a few processed images from the night.  Not very good - much room for improvement - I think I've remembered to do the left-right flip in each case.  When I checked everything in the morning, I was appalled to see how much grime was on the corrector plate (there was a heavy dew by the end of the session - need to investigate options to remove this).  All this with an Ultrastar mono camera and no filters (with bad pixel map, bias, but obviously no flats!)
      M51, 22x 30s. ... because I know what it looks like from previous equipment M101, 11x 60s. ... ditto M13, 5x 60s. ... lots of stars Pelican nebula, 11x 60s ... I had no idea what to expect here: quite pleased with the result.  Ha filter next time! Anyway, it's a start.  Stars are not great - especially the bright ones - but adjustments yet to be done.