Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Minimum apperture for colors

M42 looks green in the clubs 25yr old 8inch f10 reflector. Only sometimes. But I saw the Color 3yrs ago when I was younger tho. Ghost of Jupiter appears little greenish in the c14. I'll try few more PN. I'll observe ring for a more time this star party and see if I can spot a little green. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a top up to my earlier comments, after DIYPSP....

I looked M42 in the C925 and Tak under good conditions in the Saturday night. In the SCT the Nebula was so green I had to double check I did not have my UHC or OIII filter in! Really lovely view, Bat's wings and the Fish's mouth very clear.

Also though, at lower power (30 ish) in the Tak, the green colour was still very evident. More of a greyish green, but still noticeable.

In summary, I believe it should be quite evident in most scopes under the right conditions. I don't believe my eyes are particularly sensitive to colour so do give it a go!

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

As a top up to my earlier comments, after DIYPSP....

I looked M42 in the C925 and Tak under good conditions in the Saturday night. In the SCT the Nebula was so green I had to double check I did not have my UHC or OIII filter in! Really lovely view, Bat's wings and the Fish's mouth very clear.

Also though, at lower power (30 ish) in the Tak, the green colour was still very evident. More of a greyish green, but still noticeable.

In summary, I believe it should be quite evident in most scopes under the right conditions. I don't believe my eyes are particularly sensitive to colour so do give it a go!

looks like you had a good night! looks like no star party for me this april. monsoon has come earlier than expected . very cloudy ..end of astronomy season perhaps.

im designing a manual mount for a c14 from iron . im sure it will resolve color.

18 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

im designing a manual mount for a c14 from iron . im sure it will resolve color.

Excellent! Look forward to seeing it.

Yep, C14 will definitely show you some colour!!

Archived