Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

Knighty2112

Celestron Nexstar 6/8SE Goto mount first light

Knighty2112    2,219
11 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Yep, check the slew limits as Ian says Gus. I set max alt to 60° when using the ST120. You can clear the limits if you're using the 4SE or any other scope that won't hit the base.

Hi Jon. I did a factory reset of the mount when I got home, and checked that the max altitude was indeed set to 90 degrees, which it was. Maybe something in the app settings that I need to change, so I'll have a good poke around and update this next time I get to use the mount. :) 

• Like 1

Knighty2112    2,219

As the skies were nice and clear tonight, after sunset I set up the mount outside and fitted my new Opticstar AS90S to the mount to test it out also. I connected up my Skyportal wifi also to be able to use my iPhone 6+ to command the mount. After doing a 3 star alignment which worked first time, I then used my Baader Morpheus 14mm to give some nice widefield views. The following objects were seen below;

M41 - Open cluster in Canis Major. Saw well.

M47- Open cluster in Puppis. Saw well.

M46 - Open cluster in Puppis. Not seen, but in the right area. Not sure why it wasn't seen?

NGC2392 - Eskimo nebula in Gemini. Seen OK. Small, best seen with averted vision.

M44 - Praesepe/Beehive open cluster in Cancer. Seen well.

M67 - Open cluster in Cancer. Seen well. 

NGC2683 - Spiral galaxy in Lynx. Pretty sure I saw this with averted vision. Small. Definitely in the correct area.

M81 & M82 - The two Bode's galaxies. Beautiful view with both easily seen in the same view. 

NGC2264 - Christmas tree open cluster in Monoceros. Beautiful sight in the eyepiece.

NGC2244 - Open cluster in Monoceros. Seen well.

NGC2232 - Open cluster in Monoceros. Seen well.

NGC1647 - Open cluster in Taurus. Seen well.

M35 - Open cluster in Gemini. This was a beautiful sight. Nicest view of the night I think.

M37 - Open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

M36 - Pinwheel open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

M38 - Starfish open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

NGC1893 - Open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

NGC1342 - Open cluster in Perseus. Seen well.

NGC1545 - Open cluster in Perseus. Seen well.

At this point my iPhone 6+ battery had died, so as I was by this time pretty chilly I called it a night. All in all all objects viewed tonight were viewed well within the fov of the eyepiece used, so extremely pleased with that. I never once (apart from when I moved the scope to view both M81 & M82 in the same fov) had to move the scope to tune it into an object as all fell easily inside the view in the EP. 

If skies are still clear later on I may go out for round two! :) 

• Like 1

parallaxerr    544

Got any pics of the AR90S mounted to the SE Gus? I was tempted by the same scope, interested to know how it worked out.

Knighty2112    2,219
44 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Got any pics of the AR90S mounted to the SE Gus? I was tempted by the same scope, interested to know how it worked out.

Works out very well Jon on the mount. Very pleased with it so far. Great for widefield views especially.

IMG_2295.thumb.JPG.332cc50865a7dedbc7b56eaae8f68bda.JPG

IMG_2296.thumb.JPG.3d55485973807e3d2cf230cb02e93276.JPG

IMG_2299.thumb.JPG.257c722a5ad01a425d1dd1122aa2ba0f.JPG

IMG_2297.thumb.JPG.51e0606e69c6eeb642f6ccd6a07059f8.JPG

IMG_2300.thumb.JPG.99e3b0c8ce7059288fab94e9b656f90d.JPG

IMG_2309.thumb.JPG.e90271346f86137f66ed73880b1f19fa.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Soleil
      Hi everyone!
      I am looking for a good beginner’s telescope that we could enjoy for years to come. My 10-year old son has wanted a telescope forever and is constantly reading up on the sky in encyclopaedias. 
      For my tight single-mom budget, I have found two options that seem appealing (I am enclined to go with a Dobsonian over a refractor, following comments on better image clarity):
      1. Skywatcher 130mm/f650 with EQ mount (2nd hand for CA$125) including 25 wide angle, 10mm and 3.6mm.
      2. Celestron PowerSeeker 127 EQ (new for CA$200 including taxes) including 20mm, 4mm and 3x Barlow lenses, The Sky software and a 2-year warranty (and although the website calls it a "refractor" telescope, I’m pretty sure it is a Dob).
      Could you please advise me on these two options? 
      Thank you 😊

• By jRaskell
      After having used my Meade Infinity 102 several times now, the piece that has been the biggest impediment to observing is the mount.  The main issue has been with altitude adjustment, both course and fine.
      There's some play in the course adjustment, about 1-2º worth, and the fine adjustment is a bit on the rough side.  The azimuth control is ok in both course and fine adjustment.
      There's also the fact that the fine adjustments have a limited range which requires re-centering them about a few times every hour or so.
      I've tried various tweaks to the mount to no avail.  At this point I'm not really inclined to put any more effort into improving the mount.  It is usable and if I stick with this and am still observing a couple months from now, then I'll be looking for an upgrade.  I want to stick with the alt-az design.  I don't want to pay for goto capabilities. I'm currently not interested in imaging.  Would the Vixen Mini Porta be too small for this scope?  Would the Vixen Porta II be a more appropriate mount for this scope?  Any other options I should consider?
    • By Lobo Cielo
      Hello to all,
      I have got a chance of going for a IOptron CEM25P that I want to use in my back garden. I also would like to take it on my travels around the UK and possibly abroad. I have organised a deal for this mount together with an 80 mm triplet refractor and guide scope.
      I can order the mount with 1.5” or 2” legs; weight difference is about 3kg for the heavier version, extra cost about £100. 
      I just wondered if anyone could advise if the 1.5” legs would be good enough and stay stable in the wind? Does anyone own this mount and have either of the two sizes of legs? I would love to hear your experiences before I finally put in the order.
      May I thank you in advance if you can offer any help.
      Cheers!
    • By Sunshine
      Hello! i am seeking the help of those with experience in refractors please!!
      I have been an amateur since i was just a wee lad, i have always owned catadioptric and reflectors of many types, unfortunately short of my current Lunt LS60PT and the department store pea shooter i had as a 12 year old and my which spent way more time peering through windows in the apartment complex across the street than gazing at the sky i have NO experience with refractors. 
      This is where forums like this come in, ok this is what id like to do, my budget is around US1,200, for this i would be looking at a doublet no doubt, i would like it to be in the F5-F7 range? this would offer some flexibility for both visual and future basic AP dabbling.
      I mainly would like this refractor for planetary, lunar and double star observing, i do hear that nothing beats a refractor for these objects and I'm itching to see for myself.
      I realize that this budget will not get me an NP101 or any other triplet for that matter, but i would like the best for that price in the 100mm range preferably since id love to stretch its legs on lunar and planetary. i also own a 12" lightbridge but this is definitely not a grab and go scope which is what id love to have now, CA would be an issue not so much for visual but future photo work id like something that performs reasonably well in the CA department. 
      if anyone out there has had much experience with refractors id love to hear from you! 
      Thank you all!!!

• By Astrofriend
      Now when I have started to use my observatory I face a new problem, meridian flip. Earlier at my balcony I didn't have any problem because I only had a free view to East.
      Can that problem be solved and still have a German equtorial mount? After have googled on it I found some people who have solved it, not exactly how I want it but close.
      I have collected my information on my homepage and a first simple drawing how I think will be a good solution for me who live at latitude 59 degrees:
      http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-eq-mount-with-no-meridian-flip/project-eq-mount-with-no-meridian-flip.html
      I'm a bit angry at myself that I didn't think about this before I built the pier and observatory, it had been much easier if I had been built it alreday from the beginning.
      Tell me if you have done any attempt to solve this, maybe better ideas then my own.
      /Lars