Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

Knighty2112

Celestron Nexstar 6/8SE Goto mount first light

29 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Yep, check the slew limits as Ian says Gus. I set max alt to 60° when using the ST120. You can clear the limits if you're using the 4SE or any other scope that won't hit the base.

Hi Jon. I did a factory reset of the mount when I got home, and checked that the max altitude was indeed set to 90 degrees, which it was. Maybe something in the app settings that I need to change, so I'll have a good poke around and update this next time I get to use the mount. :) 

1 person likes this

As the skies were nice and clear tonight, after sunset I set up the mount outside and fitted my new Opticstar AS90S to the mount to test it out also. I connected up my Skyportal wifi also to be able to use my iPhone 6+ to command the mount. After doing a 3 star alignment which worked first time, I then used my Baader Morpheus 14mm to give some nice widefield views. The following objects were seen below;

M41 - Open cluster in Canis Major. Saw well.

M47- Open cluster in Puppis. Saw well.

M46 - Open cluster in Puppis. Not seen, but in the right area. Not sure why it wasn't seen?

NGC2392 - Eskimo nebula in Gemini. Seen OK. Small, best seen with averted vision.

M44 - Praesepe/Beehive open cluster in Cancer. Seen well.

M67 - Open cluster in Cancer. Seen well. 

NGC2683 - Spiral galaxy in Lynx. Pretty sure I saw this with averted vision. Small. Definitely in the correct area.

M81 & M82 - The two Bode's galaxies. Beautiful view with both easily seen in the same view. 

NGC2264 - Christmas tree open cluster in Monoceros. Beautiful sight in the eyepiece.

NGC2244 - Open cluster in Monoceros. Seen well.

NGC2232 - Open cluster in Monoceros. Seen well.

NGC1647 - Open cluster in Taurus. Seen well.

M35 - Open cluster in Gemini. This was a beautiful sight. Nicest view of the night I think.

M37 - Open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

M36 - Pinwheel open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

M38 - Starfish open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

NGC1893 - Open cluster in Auriga. Seen well.

NGC1342 - Open cluster in Perseus. Seen well.

NGC1545 - Open cluster in Perseus. Seen well.

At this point my iPhone 6+ battery had died, so as I was by this time pretty chilly I called it a night. All in all all objects viewed tonight were viewed well within the fov of the eyepiece used, so extremely pleased with that. I never once (apart from when I moved the scope to view both M81 & M82 in the same fov) had to move the scope to tune it into an object as all fell easily inside the view in the EP. 

If skies are still clear later on I may go out for round two! :) 

1 person likes this

Got any pics of the AR90S mounted to the SE Gus? I was tempted by the same scope, interested to know how it worked out.

44 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Got any pics of the AR90S mounted to the SE Gus? I was tempted by the same scope, interested to know how it worked out.

Works out very well Jon on the mount. Very pleased with it so far. Great for widefield views especially.

IMG_2295.thumb.JPG.332cc50865a7dedbc7b56eaae8f68bda.JPG

IMG_2296.thumb.JPG.3d55485973807e3d2cf230cb02e93276.JPG

IMG_2299.thumb.JPG.257c722a5ad01a425d1dd1122aa2ba0f.JPG

IMG_2297.thumb.JPG.51e0606e69c6eeb642f6ccd6a07059f8.JPG

IMG_2300.thumb.JPG.99e3b0c8ce7059288fab94e9b656f90d.JPG

IMG_2309.thumb.JPG.e90271346f86137f66ed73880b1f19fa.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanwestlake
      Hi,
      First post - so I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I wonder if anyone can help? I've got an EQ3 synscan mount which sits on top of a concrete pillar. Despite the Rigid Pillar and good Polar alignment I get terrible Goto's and Tracking. I wonder if upgrading to an EQ5 might solve some of the problems. It seems, from the reviews, to be a much more accurate mechanism. But if I did that is there any way I could buy the basic EQ5 and use my current EQ3 Synscan motors/handset with it. Buying the whole EQ5 with synscan is horribly expensive, and having already got the synscan unit would seem a waste. 

• By BobNJD87
      Hi all,
      I bought a Astromaster 130EQ two years ago and bought separately a celestron xcell barlow 2x and a Xcell LX 25mm. I now use my iphone to take photo's with a adapter.
      However, I have trouble finding and specially tracking objects. Will an Goto system make this much easier? The next question is, should i stay with my astromaster 130 mm newt. telescope and invest in a goto mount like the skywatcher eq5 with synscan or can i better take an Nexstar 5SE? I am open for other suggestions
      I want to make planetary pictures with my cannon camera (moon / mars / jupiter) if possible deep sky. However there is severe light pollution in my area. 
      Thanks in advance
    • By Skaikru
      Hello All,
      I am new to this forum and find this forum extremely useful. I have gone through almost all the threads requesting advice on the binoculars for stargazing and hopefully I will not frustrate someone for this additional thread.
      I live near San Francisco, CA, USA and in my early 30s. I am planning a trip to Bryce Canyon in 2 months. That place is supposed have very less light pollution and is recommended for Astronomy/Stargazing. I have bought the Sky Safari 5 android app to get me started into astronomy and hopefully I will continue this as a hobby for a long time to come. 
      I have decided to buy 10x50 bins and have found few of these below that are in my sub $99.99 range. I am looking for the best value for the $$ in this range. I will be carrying them in flight and will not be able to baby sit them.
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421389-REG/Bushnell_120150_10x50_Legacy_WP_Binocular.html  - $84.99 - BaK-4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917674-REG/celestron_71424_10x50_cavalry_binocular.html - $89.95 - BaK-4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof - Nitrogen Filled https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086598-REG/celestron_71362_10x50_landscout_binocular.html - $74.95 - BAK4 - Fully Multi Coated - Waterproof - Fogproof - Nitrogen Filled http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/binoculars/trooper-10-x-50-dps.html - $69.99 -($20 coupon) - BK-7  http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Astronomy-Binoculars/Orion-Scenix-10x50-Wide-Angle-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/72/p/9333.uts - $102.99 - BAK-4 - Multi Coated (Considering because I read some reviews about quality optics and wider field of view) Please let me know your recommendations, if you have any.
      Thanks a lot
    • By artoleus
      The struggles of a beginner learning how to use the equipment.  :-)
      Pointed mount North and Levelled EQ6 pro mount 8:30 pm Attached wireless release, 2" nose and UHC filter to Nikon DSLR Attached scope and camera, balanced scope for camera use Collimated the telescope -took 40 minutes of messing around Waited until dark.  Took the dogs for a walk around the field to pass the time Polar aligned using the mobile app and sighting against Ursa major. Rebalanced DEC for eyepiece rather than camera 3 star alignment. 1st star was way off and took ages to get it in the eyepiece Restarted 3 star alignment. - Selected a star behind a house. Restarted 3 star alignment -complete. Checked collimation using a bright star - perfect (should bloody be after 40 minutes!)  Tried to fine adjust polar alignment using a method discovered online (not drift- I don't think I have the patience.)  Didn't work. Restarted 3 star alignment then used the polar alignment on SynScan Took a look at Jupiter was great to look at but not what I set out to do, I want DS images... Attached camera Used live view (LV) to try to focus stars Pointed the scope at M3 and took a 2 minute exposure Tried again with a 4 minute exposure SD card failed.  Lost some family pics, grrr Now I have to explain to my partner that it wasn't because of Astronomy, these things just happen.  Replaced SD card Took some cautious 1 minute exposures of M90 expecting the camera to explode Pictures were faint so moved to 4 minute with a little more confidence telling myself SD card failures can just happen. Noticed star trails Located a bright star Decided to give PEC training a try.  Couldn't do it with an eyepiece. Tried with the camera in LV but noticed some gradual movement in the DEC axis. Hoped PEC training would sort this.   Moved onto the Spiral Galaxy Took some 2 minute exposures of the whirlpool galaxy.  Wireless timer worked flawlessly. Still a little faint so up'd the ISO and took some more.  More detail but more noise. Took some darks with the same settings. Packed away while the camera did its thing. Viewed the pics briefly on laptop. There was star trails (DEC axis again and blurring) Went to bed 1:30 am  
      Summary:
      So what have I learned?  Well DEC error was probably due to the balance of the scope being off.  I never did re-balance for the camera. I've also learnt today that I should bias the balance slightly East so the gears engage better.
      PEC training is a waste of time without an illuminated reticule which I don't have the desire to buy.   I'd rather save for a guide scope and guide camera.   I've learned I can refine the polar alignment after the 3 start alignment process. 
      I've also read on forums that perhaps I should manually move the scope to the first alignment start then continue with the usual process. I've also seen that two star may be the way forward for EQ6.  So perhaps next time I'll start with a 2 star, polar align using the SynScan handset then back to 3 star with the first manual adjustment.
      I should also purchase a few SD cards that are dedicated for Astrophotography and upload them ASAP after the session.
      The Astronomik UHC Deep Sky Filter worked wonders with the images for where I live.  I can now take longer exposures.  Assuming I sort out DEC errors and invest in guiding rig. 

• By C-Sparkes
      Hello
      I have recently brought my first telescope and am looking to upgrade the eye pieces. 
      I have a celestron powerseeker 127eq and was wondering which eyepiece set would best suit the telescope for planets and galaxies.
      Thanks.