Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloud cover frustration.

At the risk of sounding boring.I am seriously thinking of selling my telescopes and just having one "quick to set up" scope for stargazing. What I mean is , since early January and due to continuous cloud cover I have used my Evolution and C8 twice.I have used my 80mm Equinox countless times for those quick sessions between the clouds. I am thinking of getting a 100 mm ED f9 refractor for ease of use and quick setup.This will not have the light gathering power of the 8 inch.But will be used more often I can tell you.Having that kit just laying around is horrible.Perhaps a cheaper 8 inch Newtonian for those DSO's.

I went through all this, i got the 120ED thinking "just one scope" but then got the 102 Maksutov as i decided i needed a grab an go...........so now i dont use the 120ED as the Mak lives in out building and is always ready

A 100Ed would be a great scope, and yes the weather is a royal pain in the lower area

Whilst we are in rant mode, one thing which is even more annoying is the diffusity  (...is that a word ?)  of the cloud.

A nice fluffy delineated cumulus, that has a precise edge....OK.     But this incessant creeping haze of vapour that sneaks up on you as you polar align....horrid.

How many times have I had that upbeat  "ummmm....gonna be clear tonight..."  feeling,

only to witness 8/8ths mank-out....  in that steady , unstoppable , all encompassing , 360' wide sludge of orange tinted condensation......arghhh!!!!

< " Nurse, Craney needs sedating !!">

1 hour ago, Craney said:

... But this incessant creeping haze of vapour ... that steady , unstoppable , all encompassing , 360' wide sludge ...

I call it the Army blanket. But, then again, I'm old.

Archived