• Last Reply

favorite telescope rev- 8"Dob

-favorite accessories-telrad

-favorite planet-jupiter

-favorite star-beetlejuice

-favorite galaxy-m81/82

-favorite cluster-double cluster

-favorite observing site-east lothian

favorite telescope - I have 2 and love them both, they're my favourites, except the more expensive ones I hope to buy in the future of course.

favorite planet - Saturn, it's magical

favorite star - Ours, nothing gives us a better view of how they work

favorite Nebula - The Crab, first saw a Hubble image a number of years ago, it's what got me interested in astronomy again as an adult after not really doing anything since I was a boy.

favorite galaxy - GN-z11, it existed just 400 million years after the big bang. 

favorite cluster - M45, Seven Sisters, Pleiades. Gramps showed it to me when I was a boy, it blew my mind to think that there were many stars where I'd only seen one.

favorite observing site - Little spot near Mullion Cove in Cornwall, dark skies, pretty location during the day, sea nearby, just beautiful.

favourite observing buddy - Jess, my 10 yo niece.

favourite astro mag - Astronomy Now, S@N is ok, love the show but the mag just doesn't have the same substance as AN as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Have you seen it yet ?

Even with binoculars it's rather nice :icon_biggrin:

Yep, seen it. It's actually the first thing I look at every night.

I have a picture of it but I can't post it because it's a tiff file, and I'm to lazy to convert it. :happy7:

Favourite lunar feature - Plato, a circular, lava-filled crater with craterlets on its flat, smooth floor.  (This could start a flood of posts!)

And if I may add something that none of us will ever see......

Favourite asteroid - Sylvia.  These mainly spud-shaped rocks fascinate me, more so because some actually have moons.  Sylvia has two!  (Romulus and Remus.)

Doug.

-favourite telescope: SW 200P dob

-favourite planet: Saturn

-favourite star: Castor

-favourite nebula: M97

-favourite galaxy: M33

-favourite cluster: Hyades

-favourite observing site: Back garden

-favourite target: At the moment, tight doubles

Favourite astronomer, Tom O'Donoghue.

Favourite mount, Mesu 200.

Favourite scope, TEC 140.

Favourite activity: (indoor) processing really good image data. (Outdoor) aimlessly cruising the Milky Way in binoculars.

Least favourite activity: missing Per Frejvall and Alan Longstaff.

Olly

Favourite telescope, daytime 150mm PST mod, night 16" SCT (UK) 8"SCT (Tenerife)

Favourite observing location Kelling Heath

Favourite accessory binoviewers

Favourite occupation telescope making

Favourite star Vega

Favourite planet Jupiter

Favourite cluster Double Cluster

Favourite galaxy Milky Way

Favourite astro forum SGL   :icon_biggrin:

Favorite star - vega

Favorite galaxy- Leo trio

Favorite scope - c14

Favorite planet - Saturn 

Favorite nebula - dumbell

Favorite observation area-western ghats

Favorite cluster - Omega centauri 

Favorite constellation- Scorpio 

favorite telescope: vx14 - always have a good time with this, never wish for anything else.

-favorite accessories: Delos eyepieces - very easy going and good quality.

-favorite planet: Jupiter - the first planet I saw through a scope.

-favorite star: Deneb - the beast!

-favorite Nebula: M1 - the first time I saw this I was looking right at it for some time before my brain clocked it, and then it looked like a spooky ghost and gave me the heebeejeebees.

-favorite galaxy: BL Lacerate - not seen yet but this is one of my top targets to spot sometime. Nothing much to look at but amazing to think about and know what you're looking at.

-favorite cluster: NGC188 - always check this out after seeing up on polaris so very familiar.

-favorite observing site: Back garden - not good for light pollution and not good for low horizons but I can relax and take it easy without worrying about driving, or encountering night time dodginess of any description. 

8 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Favorite star - vega

Favorite galaxy- Leo trio

Favorite scope - c14

Favorite planet - Saturn 

Favorite nebula - dumbell

Favorite observation area-western ghats

Favorite cluster - Omega centauri 

Favorite constellation- Scorpio 

I havn't seem omega Centauri yet. But I hope to soon!

So, taking your exact list:

-favorite telescope : my old 60mm Prinz refractor from Dixon's. I discovered the Universe with that 40 odd years ago. No other scope will ever come near! 

-favorite accessories : Goto, I got lazy :):)

-favorite planet : Earth, I've studied it since my earliest thoughts and I still don't know it.

-favorite star : Albireo, the first time I saw it through that 60mm frac taught me everything I know about star colour.

-favorite Nebula : M1 The Crab. Took years to find it but when I did it was the best. Not impressive but the best!

-favorite galaxy : I don't know. That one there!..no that one there...no, hold on...

-favorite cluster : M13. Incomprehensible.

-favorite observing site : My dark site in Cumbria that is sadly being eaten away at by the urban sprawl of Penrith :(

I'll add another:

-favourite astronomical event : Total solar eclipse. Seen two in perfect conditions. The ultimate human experience?

4 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I havn't seem omega Centauri yet. But I hope to soon!

This cluster beats M13 and the others. It's a jewel of the South. Luckily I get both sky's being close to the equator. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived