Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

Galen Gilmore

Favorite everything?

Recommended Posts

Galen Gilmore    455

What are your favorite things in astronomy?

You can say anything such as:

-favorite telescope

-favorite accessories

-favorite planet

-favorite star

-favorite Nebula 

-favorite galaxy

-favorite cluster

-favorite observing site

I'll start.

-favorite telescope: Celestron C11

-favorite planet: Saturn

-favorite star: Antares 

-favorite Nebula: lagoon Nebula 

-favorite galaxy: whirlpool galaxy

-favorite cluster: the double cluster

-favorite observing site: Brommelsiek park (a local astronomy park)

 

Im just wondering (being a newbie) what fellow stargazer sfavorite things are :)

Edited by Galen Gilmore
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pig    4,818

Here we go, but I had to spell favourite the correct way :happy8:

-favourite telescope: Starwave 110mm

-favourite planet: Jupiter

-favourite star: Our sun

-favourite nebula: Orion Nebula 

-favourite galaxy: Milky Way

-favourite cluster: The double cluster

-favourite observing site: Its confidential so I cant say

-favourite target: The Moon

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xtreemchaos    9,833

telescope- 200p for vis, for imaging ed80, favorite accessories- everything I use too many to name. favorite planet- Saturn.

favorite star- betelgauste.  favorite Nebula-  the great orion neb.  favorite cluster- M5. favorite observing site- home its very dark here in south wales, the rats carry flickknifes and the bats wear headlamps :icon_biggrin:

clear skys, charl..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galen Gilmore    455
6 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

telescope- 200p for vis, for imaging ed80, favorite accessories- everything I use too many to name. favorite planet- Saturn.

favorite star- betelgauste.  favorite Nebula-  the great orion neb.  favorite cluster- M5. favorite observing site- home its very dark here in south wales, the rats carry flickknifes and the bats wear headlamps :icon_biggrin:

clear skys, charl..

Your a lucky man charl! 😛

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien 13    3,552

This is my list.

-favourite telescope: Canon 70-200 mm lens or 90 mm Mak

-favourite planet: Pluto

-favourite star: Betelgeuse

-favourite nebula: Orion Nebula 

-favourite galaxy: Milky Way

-favourite cluster: The double cluster

-favourite observing site: Back garden

-favourite target: Clouds

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pondus    585

Favorite telescope :  hopefully the Next one

Favorite accessory :  Telrad

Favorite planet        : Mars at opposition / Jupiter

Favorite open cluster : ehhh  probably the  Trapezium in Orion,

                                then Hyades, double cluster, the Auriga clusters (M36,37,38), M35, M44, IC4665 ('summer beehive',  although a bit difficult from up here) plus lots lots more...

Favorite globular  : M5

Favorite small asterism : kembles cascade

Object I`ve spend most hours observing :  The moon

 

Rune

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galen Gilmore    455
2 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Favorite telescope :  hopefully the Next one

Favorite accessory :  Telrad

Favorite planet        : Mars at opposition / Jupiter

Favorite open cluster : ehhh  probably the  Trapezium in Orion,

                                then Hyades, double cluster, the Auriga clusters (M36,37,38), M35, M44, IC4665 ('summer beehive',  although a bit difficult from up here) plus lots lots more...

Favorite globular  : M5

Favorite small asterism : kembles cascade

Object I`ve spend most hours observing :  The moon

 

Rune

 

I had never heard of kembles cascade before this. Looked it up and it seemed really cool. You learn something everyday! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cloudsweeper    2,053
1 hour ago, Galen Gilmore said:

What are your favourite things in astronomy?

You can say anything such as:

-favourite telescope                       8SE - not too bulky, good aperture, and GoTo

-favourite accessories                    GPS Module - makes alignment process much quicker;  fur-lined boots;  Stellarium on a laptop in the shed

-favourite planet                           Jupiter - largely because of his moons

-favourite star                               Sol

-favourite Nebula                          nebulosity in M45; M42

-favourite galaxy                           Milky Way - The Orion Spur of The Sagittarius Arm (our home) - the others I've seen are fuzz, albeit interesting fuzz

-favourite cluster                           Double Cluster - but basically all of the dense ones and globulars

-favourite observing site                A dark one that I've yet to visit!            

 

Galen - answers are within the quote.

Doug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    17,555

Ok, lets give this a go:

-favourite telescope: It depends (I have 5 to choose from and I love them all !)

-favourite accessory: Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas (my DSO tally has come on in leaps and bounds since my Mum gave me this a few birthdays back)

-favourite planet: Jupiter (always something going on there, changes while you observe it)

-favourite star: Sirius (it's close to us, very very obvious and has a rather challenging to see companion)

-favourite nebula: The Veil (it has a number of componant parts and all my scopes show it really well, with an O-III filter)

-favourite galaxy: Messier 82 (great supernova in that one not so long ago, brightest and longest lasting that I've observed. Fascinating galaxy too.)

-favourite cluster: The double cluster (simply stunning through virtually any optical instrument)

-favourite observing site: Back garden (convenient, close to warmth, coffee and shiraz)

-favourite target: What ever is well placed in the sky (higher means that I get a better view)

-favourite forum: The Stargazers Lounge (of course !!!)

:icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nightfisher    6,513

favourite scope>Skymax 102

favourite mount>EQ5 with drives

favourite ep>Antares 9mm HD ortho

favourite target>Moon

favourite planet>Jupiter

favourite DSO>none

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPeace    2,212

* scope: the TV85 always wins in the end

* bins: Canon IS 15x50

* mount: Losmandy AZ8

* accessory: dew strap

* planet: Saturn, very closely followed by Jupiter

* star: Mirphak

* nebula: M42 in Orion

* galaxy: M31 Andromeda Galaxy

* cluster: M45 Pleiades

* asterism: "The Ray". 4 Cas is the tip of one of its "wings".

* target: NGC 457

* site: Aegean hotel room balcony

:happy11:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galen Gilmore    455
20 minutes ago, John said:

Ok, lets give this a go:

-favourite telescope: It depends (I have 5 to choose from and I love them all !)

-favourite accessory: Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas (my DSO tally has come on in leaps and bounds since my Mum gave me this a few birthdays back)

-favourite planet: Jupiter (always something going on there, changes while you observe it)

-favourite star: Sirius (it's close to us, very very obvious and has a rather challenging to see companion)

-favourite nebula: The Veil (it has a number of componant parts and all my scopes show it really well, with an O-III filter)

-favourite galaxy: Messier 82 (great supernova in that one not so long ago, brightest and longest lasting that I've observed. Fascinating galaxy too.)

-favourite cluster: The double cluster (simply stunning through virtually any optical instrument)

-favourite observing site: Back garden (convenient, close to warmth, coffee and shiraz)

-favourite target: What ever is well placed in the sky (higher means that I get a better view)

-favourite forum: The Stargazers Lounge (of course !!!)

:icon_biggrin:

Of all the forums I've been in, this is the best! (Has the friendlest people)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien 13    3,552

A few more from me.

Favorite mount: EQ3 with single axis drive.

Favorite accessory: Camera ball head.

Favorite software: Photoshop with PIPP a close second.

Favorite technology: DSLR with WiFi control and remote viewing.

Favorite computer manufacturer: Alienware.

Alan

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N3ptune    951

Favorite: When I complete a sketch of something at the eyepiece, because it requires a lot of efforts to accomplish.

Favorite: When I can see a new Nebula which I thought was simply invisible.

Favorite: The smell of the Celestron Xcel LX eyepieces, I believe it's the rubber cup but this smell is associated with all my observations.

Favorite: When I find a new calm observation spot to enjoy the sky. :laugh:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galen Gilmore    455
1 minute ago, N3ptune said:

Favorite: When I complete a sketch of something at the eyepiece, because it requires a lot of efforts to accomplish.

Favorite: When I can see a new Nebula which I thought was simply invisible.

Favorite: The smell of the Celestron Xcel LX eyepieces, I believe it's the rubber cup but this smell is associated with all my observations.

Favorite: When I find a new calm observation spot to enjoy the sky. :laugh:

 

 

Nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    17,555

You don't get smell mentioned much in astronomy but I'm sure it's there and plays a part in the whole experience :icon_biggrin:

The folks from ESA who ran the Rosetta mission have produced a scratch and sniff post card which apparently reproduces the smell of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko as detected by the Philae lander (it did manage to beam back some good data before finding it's dark place). I've tried one and it definitely smelled very comet-like :icon_biggrin:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iPeace    2,212

* neighbour: the one who didn't pay his electricity bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Galen Gilmore    455

Every Friday at bromelsiek park, the St. Louis astronomical society gets together for a small but neat little star party :) The sound of the go-to mounts slewing every which direction is so satisfying. Plus the slightly deeper sound of the go-to equatorial of the huge 16" cassegrain in the shed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DirkSteele    1,177

-favorite telescope: Should probably say my APM LZOS 180mm triplet but because it can travel abroad to really dark places, the Takahashi FC-76 DCU.

-favourite accessory: Delos 10mm

-favorite planet: Saturn

-favorite star: Vega (Alpha Lyrae, hardly surprising)

-favorite Nebula: Tarantula Nebula

-favorite galaxy: Centaurus A (NGC 5128)

-favorite cluster: Double Cluster

-favorite observing site: Sossusvlei in Namibia. More locally, i.e the U.K., Brecon Beacons.

Edited by DirkSteele
Missed out accessory
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveS    2,424

Favourite scope: 130 Photoline triplet

Favourote mount: DDM60, utterly silent perfection

Favourite planet: the one we're on

Favourite nebula: the Rosette

 

May add more later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×