Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Second Hand Canon DSLR - £250 budget

Hi all

I’m just looking for some advice please regarding the best modded Canon DSLR to buy second hand, probably within a £250 budget ?

I have just started with basic astrophotography through a telescope using my existing non modded Canons (6D and 7D). I’ve been sussing out the process and getting some results so I’m now looking to learn more and slowly invest in more gear including a modded DSLR.

My current kit is HEQ5 pro with a 130 PDS and a 200 PDS. I’m looking to do mainly DSOs and in time will also invest in guiding equipment.

I’m just wondering if people have any views on the best camera(s) to go for within this £250 price range ? Money is tight (just spent a fortune on the mount !) but if something substantially better can be had for just a little extra please tell me !

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a 1100d on here for £200 recently. 

However I think you might be better spending the budget on a guiding setup. I went from non modded to modded DSLR, but the biggest jump was from unguided to guided subs. Something to think about. I guided with a Philips toucam webcam and it worked a treat on my EQ6. You could get set up for under £250. 

Thanks all.

I guess my question is which camera should I be aiming for ? Which has the best features and highest spec for my astrophotography needs ?

I can see all these cameras for sale but I'm not clear which is considered the most useful/best for the job ? There seem to be a number of models people use and I'm guessing they all have different features like tilting screen or different sensor specs etc, and some may be  older than others. Just wondering which are most used and why ? Maybe there's a top 3 in this sort of price range I should be looking for ?

1 minute ago, newbie alert said:

If you are use to the performance of a 6d then a crop framed camera might not do it for you..or..

Swap my modded 100d for your 6d..??

I've actually got 2 x 6Ds ! Amazing low light performance for landscape astrophotography, use em a lot for milky way and aurora shots. I've used the 7D too so I'm happy enough using crop sensors ta.

Will you be using the camera attached to a laptop. If you do then a swivel screen is less important.

Research if you are considering ff, crop sensors do have an advantage not many telescopes fill a ff something Olly had said perhaps research Olly's posts.

I feel I'm in a reasonable position to comment as I've imaged on a budget too, with non modded 400d and 40d and modded 300d and 1000d.

What sort of sub lengths are you taking? Are you considering autoguiding?

Thanks all

Good point about the titling screen/laptop !

I'm currently unguided and am playing at 25 - 45 secs with some results. Further down the line I am certainly looking to autoguide but tbh I still have lots to learn and it could be a little while before I could afford that kit. I'm currently very basic, I don't link up to a laptop but I will at some point soon I'm sure. Next purchase will be a budget 2nd hand DSLR so crop sensor certainly. Once that is sorted I will be digging out my old laptop and saving up for some auto guiding.

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There was a 1100d on here for £200 recently. 

However I think you might be better spending the budget on a guiding setup. I went from non modded to modded DSLR, but the biggest jump was from unguided to guided subs. Something to think about. I guided with a Philips toucam webcam and it worked a treat on my EQ6. You could get set up for under £250. 

Sorry I overlooked this reply.  I totaly get what you are saying about investing in autoguiding instead of a modded DSLR, just a little nervous, I'm a complete beginner with a lot to learn and don't want to run before I can walk, so autoguiding at this stage scares me ! Modded DSLRs don't scare me !

Ok I have listened to the voice of experience and have decided to divert my money towards building an autoguiding set up at this stage instead of buying a modded DSLR !

I am still very interested in a modded crop sensor DSLR and further down the line when funds allow I will be investing, so if anyone has any opinions on the most useful model(s) to aim for please let me know.

I went through a similar process recently, do I get my 7D modded or go for a modded cheaper DSLR. I had a very interesting conversation with Juan at Cheap Astro and he said any of the modern cameras he does are more than capable, but his favourite is probably the 600D because of the swivel screen and very low noise. Guess what I bought shortly afterwards ;).

I'm now desperately saving for a guiding setup, with hindsight I would probably have done that first so I think you have made a wise choice.

21 hours ago, edarter said:

I went through a similar process recently, do I get my 7D modded or go for a modded cheaper DSLR. I had a very interesting conversation with Juan at Cheap Astro and he said any of the modern cameras he does are more than capable, but his favourite is probably the 600D because of the swivel screen and very low noise. Guess what I bought shortly afterwards ;).

I'm now desperately saving for a guiding setup, with hindsight I would probably have done that first so I think you have made a wise choice.

Thanks for this, very helpful, so does the 600D have better low light/noise performance than the other models then ?

Have a look on the cheap astro photography website:

http://www.cheapastrophotography.com/

Juan details the performance of each of the cameras. They are all very good tbh so it really depends on what you want. The crop video function, flip out screen, very good quantum efficiency and my budget constraints along with Juans comments are what tipped me in favour of the 600. Of course the brand new 6D he does would have been nice but then again its £1600 and that gets you a good CCD!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just thought I’d update you in case anyone else is in the same boat and considering jumping up to a modded DSLR.

I took the advice of Adam (tooth_dr) on here and diverted my money towards building an autoguiding rig instead of going for the camera. Adam made the very good point that a modded camera probably won’t improve my images by much if I am still only achieving short exposures. He also very kindly helped me with lots of advice to build my own autoguider and early results are encouraging. I’ve jumped from 30-40 second subs to 10 minute subs !   

The image below is my first ever attempt at using long long exposures, it was created by stacking 7x 10 minute subs in DSS. OK it is far from perfect but I’m a complete beginner with astrophotography, DSS and processing etc ! I’m just delighted to be getting long exposures like this, I now appreciate that this was definitely a step in the right direction, it encourages me to learn more and save up for a modded camera next.

A big thank you to Adam who not only very kindly sent me a free webcam to use but also walked me through the process of building the autoguider, answering all of my stupid questions along the way !  

m51.jpg

1 hour ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Just thought I’d update you in case anyone else is in the same boat and considering jumping up to a modded DSLR.

I took the advice of Adam (tooth_dr) on here and diverted my money towards building an autoguiding rig instead of going for the camera. Adam made the very good point that a modded camera probably won’t improve my images by much if I am still only achieving short exposures. He also very kindly helped me with lots of advice to build my own autoguider and early results are encouraging. I’ve jumped from 30-40 second subs to 10 minute subs !   

The image below is my first ever attempt at using long long exposures, it was created by stacking 7x 10 minute subs in DSS. OK it is far from perfect but I’m a complete beginner with astrophotography, DSS and processing etc ! I’m just delighted to be getting long exposures like this, I now appreciate that this was definitely a step in the right direction, it encourages me to learn more and save up for a modded camera next.

A big thank you to Adam who not only very kindly sent me a free webcam to use but also walked me through the process of building the autoguider, answering all of my stupid questions along the way !  

m51.jpg

Most people would be envious of that effort and even more that you can actually do 10 minute subs without being light polluted out! 

For me 10 min subs are pushing it even when using a CLS filter. That is really very good only 7 subs too. 

Modding wont really help you much at the moment as most of the targets available at this time of year are galaxies, although modding will let you pick up the h-a regions. 

Seriously just take a look at the instructional videos on you tube and save a tone of money by modding a camera your self the 450D and 1100D in particular are very easy cameras to modify. 

Modding a 1100d was incredibly easy - just make sure you follow the tutorials properly. I didn't and therefore ended up with a full spectrum mod instead of just the IR glass, so cost me another £40 on top for an IR UV filter!

There's a seller on eBay who often sells faulty dSLRs, mine had a faulty autofocus so only cost £70. There's bargains around if you can spot them!

Archived