Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I gave a Cannon T5, a setting  much have gotten changed. It now takes forever for the camera to save the shot. Any ideas? I could set the shutter speed to 15 seconds and triggertrap to 16 seconds. Now it takes almost 17 seconds to save the picture. The result is 1/2 as many pics. :(

Edited by ItMayMakeYouSmile
Spelling

19 minutes ago, ItMayMakeYouSmile said:

I gave a Cannon T5, a setting  much have gotten changed. It now takes forever for the camera to save the shot. Any ideas? I could set the shutter speed to 15 seconds and triggertrap to 16 seconds. Now it takes almost 17 seconds to save the picture. The result is 1/2 as many pics. :(

Hello and welcome to SGL. Somewhere in the menus or custom menus will be an option to turn on/off noise reduction. If the function is set to ON the camera will automatically take a second shot, without firing the shutter, which is then subtracted from the first exposure, doubling the capture time. If the function is set to OFF the camera does not take the second shot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. Somewhere in the menus or custom menus will be an option to turn on/off noise reduction. If the function is set to ON the camera will automatically take a second shot, without firing the shutter, which is then subtracted from the first exposure, doubling the capture time. If the function is set to OFF the camera does not take the second shot.

Yes. Exactly this. 'Long exposure noise reduction' is enabled. If you are taking singe exposures, you may as well leave it on if it gives good results. If you are taking multiple exposures and stacking them. Turn it off and take a set of dark frames at the end of your run.

As above it sounds like the NR option is On. It takes a second exposure of the same duration as the "normal" exposure then subtracts one from the other then saves it all. If I recall the NR is done whenever the exposure is greater then 1 second unless disabled.

If you leave it On then your "exposure" is in effect twice as long = Normal+NR, this also carries through to the sensor heating as the full exposure time is now doubled, so if you have a period for cooling then you have to extend this.

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. I have found that the noise reduction function does not improve the images significantly, so have disabled it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.