SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

As title says,any help on imaging comets .do i take long exposure or short exposures..i tried a couple of weeks ago on catalina from my light polluted house..next time in going to try from a dark site..some colour and a tail would be nice..

im imaging with a 8 sct..

Similar principle to other DSOs.  You will need to experiment with exposures as comets and their tails vary quite a bit in apparent size and magnitude.  There is a difference when you come to stack your subs. I use DSS and the software contains options just designed for stacking images of comets.  Personally i am not keen on the 'star trailing' effect it gives but that is purely a personal choice. My Catalina (21st Dec 2015 in Virgo) image is a stack of 40 subs each at 120 seconds and ISO1600; f/7.  Your 8 SCT would benefit from a reducer unless your target is very small and bright.

23647155350_d0198e18b3_o.thumb.jpg.bfacf44117eb98d16201b9be57d12bd5.jpg

Archived