Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Dkblow

EQ5 Synscan Allignment way out, Pole Perfect

Hi Guys,

Desperately need help here. I have recently got a setup Skywatcher 200 with EQ5 so a newbiee me. Anyway I am setting up Polar alignment perfect. Using compas, mount bolts and lat is spot on. GPS and time is also spot on. Using 3 star alignment as well as 2 star alignment. Synscan goes to the first star which is not even in FOV of the finder scope, Then I use hand held to get it in view and alligned. Second star nearly is on target and with handheld I align using the handheld. 3 rd star is also way out. Once aligned I go to an object  which does not center at all and is in the top left of the FOV. I have to keep re-aligning every 15 min to see anything. However Polaris remains where it should be using polar alignment scope. What am I missing? Pls help 

Welcome to SGL. Polar alignment of your mount and GoTo alignment of your scope are separate matters. If your 3 star alignment is putting your object in the FOVat all  then it is very closely aligned in GoTo. If the object is drifting from your FOV over a period of time then it is likely that your polar alignment is not correct. A compass is not ideal because that will not identify true North. 

• Like 1

When you GoTo the first object, undo the clutches and manually move the scope to aligne the first star, then tighten the clutches and use GoTo for the next Star and any other Stars, Getting the Polar Alignment so Polaris is on the 1' circle will make a big difference.... 

• Like 1

The polar alignment is for the mount and has nothing to do with the goto (3/2 star alignment) unfortunately they use the word alignment in both and often they appear to be the same. I notice that you do not mention "polarscope" ??

For Malta it seems that the compass will be 3 degrees out to start with, that is the difference between magnetic Norh and True North. If you are setting Latitude by the dial then the mount has to be level - likely it is but the dial on the side is set relevant to levelling of the mount. Is the data correct? That is a common problem as we talk of Lat and Long and if I recall those mounts want Longitude first then Latitude. You need to set the timezone up also, they often have a default in them of US West Coast so Pacific Time.

Owing to the small angles concerned you will have to put Polaris in view at least in the polar scope (NOT the 200P that bit is irrelevant at this stage). At least Malta should not cause much trouble with the two bolts - you are in effect 36N and 14 East.

Once the mount is set up with Polaris in the polar scope (settle for in the middle for now) you can start of the goto alignment. Is the finder and main scope aligned?

With the scope on the mount set the scope up to any defined start position - may be Horizontal and North, but not overly sure of the EQ5 Synscan requirements. They seem to evolve with different SW releases.

The going to of the first star is wholly deendant on the set up of the mount and the n the initial position of the scope. The first star is moved to by the scope making the presumption that the mount is perfect and the scope start position is perfect, as well as the data.

If the scope is not a problem to put on the mount I would suggest thinking of doing the Polar alignment without the scope, take a good few minutes and get the polar alignment right. then have a break - coffee and get the scope and carefully attach that. Put the scope into the starrt position, have a look around the sky by eye to just remind yourself where the stars are then select the alignment method - 2 star seems quicker - and get that done.

I know people say release the clutches to get the first star central but not sure how correct that is. I can see that it may bypass the determination of correction that needs to be applied. It depends at which stage the software starts the determination and I can see either option.

• Like 1

The other thing to add to the above (Salk good advice) is make sure you're entering the date in the right format- mm/dd/yyyy, not dd first. 

If I get strange goto I generally park the scope in home position and make sure it is pointing up to Polaris etc. If not de clutch and adjust and then do star alignment. Also is the finder scope aligned to the main scope, sometimes best to double check. Just to be sure about the tracking, is the mount in sidereal mode.

1. If the scope slews to the second star OK, then the issues is not related to the data you have input into the handset (time, date, latitude, longitude, altitude, inside leg measurement) - but that is assuming the second star is the same star which is named on the handset; it is easy to centre on a bright star but it is not the same star the mount was expecting.

2. Assuming you have addressed part 1 above, then if the third star is way out either you did something wrong with the first two stars (centred on the wrong star(s)), you have serious cone error, the set up isn't well balance or the clutches slipping, power issues, kit too heavy for the mount... etc. 

3. Who fitted the motors to the mount? What power source are you using?

4. How far out (in degrees) is the third star?

5. Are the first two stars on the same side of the meridian, and the third star on the opposite side?

James

I had a hole load of trouble with my EQ5 it was the latitude bolt slipping under the lug (peter Drew) kindly fixed that for me. Check your polar scope during the day time to make sure that is right mine was way off, make sure your in the park position when starting 2/3 star alignment Weights down scope up First star is usually well out second and third should be nearly there remember to use right and up on handset last (for backlash) also pick stars halfway up the sky makes alignment better.

20161222_235209.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CrystalFox
      Hello guys,
      I recently got into astronomy so I bought my first telescope. I've read through several articles and the recommendation for a beginner's telescope (value/price) was Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD. I bought this from someone who was not really using it and it is in a very good condition. Prior to actually purchasing this, I've watched countless videos on how the telescope works, what needs to be done - latitude, RA/DEC alignment, polar alignment, etc..
      After reading through all available manuals and videos, I finally brought it home from the seller (they've had it for around 5 years but it wasn't used much). After setting up the tripod, mounting the telescope and familiarising myself with all the different knobs, I pointed the mount/telescope towards north. The first thing I had to do was setting up the latitude. Since I am based in London, the latitude is around 52 degrees. Afterwards, I had to align the declination axis so the telescope can be balanced. As I understand it, you should be able to move it to any position on the axis and it should stay in that position. If the front or rear was heavier, I would either pushing or pulling the telescope after unlocking the brackets holding it together. This is where the issues began, I could balance the telescope so it doesn't move while in the horizontal position, however, when pointing it towards north, it would exclusively lean towards one direction - to the left. If the telescope was pointing to north, north-east or east, it would pull towards the west all the time. It is probably easier to show it in the video. I've spent three days trying to balance the telescope by using different methods and it just would not work. 
      I've also tried balancing the RA axis first. This could be somehow done, but the declination axis would still pull the telescope to the left.
      It is extremely frustrating as I don't know what could be causing this. Balancing the telescope should be relatively easy from what I have heard - either push it or pull it depending on where the weight is. However, I have been really struggling to get it set-up.
      I would be thankful for any suggestions and please feel free to ask any questions so I can help with finding out what is wrong.

Thank you.
      VID_20190918_202940.mp4

• By Carboncrazy
      Can anyone help? I'm pretty much a novice at this astronomy stuff but loving the steep learning curve. I started by using camera lenses modified to use an eyepiece but after much debate, deliberation and saving up, I have finally bought my first proper telescope. Unfortunately I now have a problem.
      Last year I bought a second hand Synscan EQ5 mount which has worked perfectly each time I have used it. I  used it about a month ago for the first time with the new scope (last time we had a clear sky). Everything worked as it should. At 2 am I parked the scope, dismantled everything and put it away. Nothing was dropped, snagged or got wet.
      The forecast said we might get a clear sky last night. Anticipating this I got the mount on the bench, stripped, cleaned, polished and greased the DEC axis plain bearings (hoping this might help with guiding). When finished I connected the motor controller and handset and switched on. I was greeted with the following messages: INITIALISING then CAUTION BOTH AXES NO RESPONSE. If I press enter and carry on through the menus, then everything appears to be as it should except no motors run. I have tried everything I can think of and would be very grateful of advise or suggestions. These are things I have tried, so far:
      Factory reset
      Different power supply. I have been using a motorbike battery which is giving 13.5V constantly when I switch on. I have tried two other batteries with a 2A charger connected.
      Continuity tested the cables from the plugs that go onto the motherboard of the controller all the way to the motors.
      I made up the  RJ45 and RJ12 diagnostic cables suggested in the manual and the handset appears to be ok.
      Removed the motors from the mount to make sure that they turn freely.
      Replaced the RJ45 cable from the handset to the controller.
      Examined the motherboard for dry joints and damaged components.
      Assembled everything in the tripod to make sure that the earthing tab on the controller made no difference.
      I now feel that the problem is the controller motherboard but logic tells me that it was the mount I disassembled, so the fault should lie there. Is there anyone who has had the same problem or who has the same system that could help me diagnose the problem. I'm in North Shropshire but happy to travel to anyone who could help. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the same mount.

• By ARP1954
      Hi
      The older Celestron CG5 mount had 3 retaining screws that allowed the polar finder scope to be rotated 360 deg when mounted. Newer finders are screw fit but what to do if once the finder scope is inserted and tightened only to find that the vertical axis of the finder display is not at 90deg from horizontal plane?
      The 3 screws only allow for centering the reticule and I would need to disassemble the finder to rotate the reticule holder but how can I be sure that when put back together it will be correctly aligned?
      I am referring to the skywatcher HM5 for the EQ3/5 mount.
      Thanks in advance

• By Bigwings
      I need my garage back so am selling my excess mounts.
      1. EQ5 motorised on both axis.
      No tripod this was mounted ony pier. Tracks well. 
      £100 Collect only because of weight .
      2. An older type Skywatcher AZ goto mount that came with my SkyMax 127. Good condition .
      £100 Collect please but might be able to send if you arrange courier.
      SOLDto Pitbull ...thanks
      3. AZ GTi  goto in excellent condition . Still have the box so can send at cost.
      The pic shows it with a telescope on it which is not included.
      £200
      Location just north of Newark on A1
      Clear Skies.
      Thanks for looking
      All Sold.
      mods VB please move

• By Phillips6549
      Complete beginner question regarding using this mount.
      When I have tried to set up and align the mount , the goto targeting is off by many degrees.  Here's what I do - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong!?

With the power off:
      Align the tripod and mount to North and, with the clutches released, set the declination to my latitude (52deg 28' N). and the mount in the weights-down home position.
      Lock the clutches and fine tune the alignment on Polaris using the mechanical adjustments on the mount.

Turn the power on:
      Set up the date, time and location, elevation etc. in the handset (noting the American Date format and Longitude first (set to W 1deg 48')
      DST = Yes
      Select 1 Star align
      Pick a star, I usually try Procyon or Betelguese depending on the time.
      The scope slews to vaguely the right direction but actually nowhere near.  It can take 2 or 3 minutes of manual slewing to centre the star in the eyepiece.  Finishing, of course, with an up and right movement.
      Finally, press Enter to complete the alignment ==> Alignment Successful says the handset optimistically.  
      Now from the object menu pick another target.  Try, say, Polaris which was where I started and ... nowhere near it.   It's the same regardless of the selected target.

I have tried 2 star alignment and 3 star alignment, a factory reset before starting,  but nothing seems to work.   Once i'm lined up on a target the mount tracks nicely - it just won't go where I want it to!
      Not yet at my wits end but - Help!  
      Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.