Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

domstar

AZ 4 help

Hi, I've just tried to assemble my new AZ 4 mount and I have a couple of issues. When the mount head screws into the tripod there is a notch on the tripod which fits into a depression on the head. The problem is that it doesn't fit snugly so when the head rotates left or right the whole head moves the first 5mm before it moves normally. It doesn't look like a manufacturing error but I find it a bit strange. So my question is whether this is normal or am I doing something wrong? Do AZ 4 users have the same issue and do you just put a bit of chewing gum up there to stop the knocking?

Also, has anybody had a problem screwing the control handle into the the mount head? I know nobody can help me on this but I wondered if it was a common problem when the screw and thread don't quite match?

Here's a  terrible picture of the notch that I mentioned.

Thanks for any insights.

P3180173.JPG

I've had the same two issues with every AZ4 I've owned. The movement of the head on the tripod is really an on going manufacturing fault.  It can be easily overcome by packing the hole under the mount head, or as in my case, excessively tightening the head onto the tripod. I chose to over tighten my AZ4 head as I never remove it from the tripod as there's no need to. There is no movement in my AZ4 head against The tripod top. The mount is still easily transportable! ( You could fill the hole with milliput or plastic padding, then fix the head onto the tripod and let the milliput or plastic padding harden. There'll be no movement after that).

The arm screws in at an angle and if the angle of the arm isn't lined up accurately, you could find it difficult to get the thread started. Also, I have come across instances where burr is clogging the thread, so a careful examination of  the thread may reveal some debris that can be scraped away. You don't of course have to use the arm if your scope is of reasonable length. I just use my scope as the lever and I manage to keep relatively fine control of the movement. I observed Mars throughout last year using this mount and at times powers up to X296, so the mount is smooth and solid, though my mount is on a wider spread Vixen tripod.

Mike 

2017-03-18 08.40.45.jpg

20170315_140804.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight

As Mike says, just tighten up the bolt nice and firm, regards the tilt handle, no need to use this with a 100ED, i used to just move the scope by pushing on the focuser housing

3 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I've had the same two issues with every AZ4 I've owned. The movement of the head on the tripod is really an on going manufacturing fault.  It can be easily overcome by packing the hole under the mount head, or as in my case, excessively tightening the head onto the tripod. I chose to over tighten my AZ4 head as I never remove it from the tripod as there's no need to. There is no movement in my AZ4 head against The tripod top. The mount is still easily transportable! ( You could fill the hole with milliput or plastic padding, then fix the head onto the tripod and let the milliput or plastic padding harden. There'll be no movement after that).

The arm screws in at an angle and if the angle of the arm isn't lined up accurately, you could find it difficult to get the thread started. Also, I have come across instances where burr is clogging the thread, so a careful examination of  the thread may reveal some debris that can be scraped away. You don't of course have to use the arm if your scope is of reasonable length. I just use my scope as the lever and I manage to keep relatively fine control of the movement. I observed Mars throughout last year using this mount and at times powers up to X296, so the mount is smooth and solid, though my mount is on a wider spread Vixen tripod.

Mike 

Thanks for your help again Mike. Not sure about the picture though.:happy11:.Give me ONE day before I start dreaming of a new scope. I haven't even used mine yet. I expected clouds but I must admit I was surprised about the snow.

• Like 1

Exactly the same with mine. I just tighten the centre bolt up as well. The handled does attach at an odd angle, so getting the thread started can be a bit awkward. The AZ4 is a nice mount though :) 

• Like 1

I had the same with my AZ-4 - I just tightened the head down onto the tripod hub as much as I could. I found the panning handle got in the way with my scopes so I didn't use it. Otherwise a nice, solid, and reasonably priced mount.

Agreed - over tightening the centre bolt fixes the excess head movement.

As for the handle, I really struggled with that too - it seems to need to go in at an angle. The handle can be fitted in 2 positions...the second one should have a little black screw filling the hole. I found it easier to take the screw out and see what angle it wanted to go back in at....then go back to the hole you want and line the handle up at the same angle. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Wow. It works. I've tightened it up and I've even screwed the handle in. I'm really chuffed. Thanks to you all.

• Like 2

On 18/03/2017 at 08:39, mikeDnight said:

2017-03-18 08.40.45.jpg

20170315_140804.jpg

An az4 with a nice colour coordinated paint scheme!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 11:23, domstar said:

Wow. It works. I've tightened it up and I've even screwed the handle in. I'm really chuffed. Thanks to you all.

Good job :thumbsup: glad you got it sorted. Now it's time to enjoy!

Mine hasn't given me the issues being described here. I keep the bolt below tightened out of standard practice. And the top I adjust so it gives me free rotation with no struggles - just smooth and fluidic motion.

But mine is branded through Orion, the US version thereof. And they call it a "VersaGo II" - for what it's worth. I just call it an AZ-4 as that's what it really is by design. But maybe Orion had the bugs ironed-out in production in China? I don't know.

Dave

764825-2.jpg.845e02aafc463c2670c9d9f877523845.jpg

Edited by Dave In Vermont
Added Image