Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New range of ES 62* LER eyepieces

Chris

I'm not sure if these have been spoken about already? Spotted these whilst surfing the Bresser.eu site and I must say they do look interesting :) Delite's could have competition in the long eye relief high spec 62* sector?...I'll start the ball rolling on that discussion ;) 

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/62-LER-Eyepiece-9mm-Ar.html

Just now, Moonshane said:

These look excellent although with eye relief at 12mm not sure they will be popular with glasses wearers?

Oh I thought they would have had more than 12mm, that's not great then. Let me check out the others in the range because to quote "excellent viewing position for people with glasses"... but maybe not if they just have 12mm ER.

• Excellent viewing position for people with glasses

In the spec for the 9mm model it says 12mm for the minimum interpupilar distance, I don't know if they actually mean IPD or ER?

5.5mm EP = 13mm IPD

14mm EP = 11mm IPD ?

20mm EP = 15mm IPD

26mm EP = 20mm IPD

32mm EP =22mm IPD

Just now, Moonshane said:

They look very interesting but I think I'd prefer the Vixen SLVs (or my current Delites) for the time being.

Me too if the ER is that little, I've been eyeing up going back to SLV's for shorter focal lengths prior to seeing these, they have 20mm ER throughout the range as far as I know. 

I'm a bit baffled by these :icon_scratch:

Their AFoV is 62 degrees but they struggle to offer as much eye relief as most 100 degree eyepieces. Different markets I know but I would have thought that 20mm of ER was easily achieveable these days in a 62 degree AFoV while maintaining excellent optical performance ?

I guess if they deliver optical performance to rival a really good abbe ortho then they might be onto something.

59 minutes ago, John said:

I'm a bit baffled by these :icon_scratch:

Their AFoV is 62 degrees but they struggle to offer as much eye relief as most 100 degree eyepieces. Different markets I know but I would have thought that 20mm of ER was easily achieveable these days in a 62 degree AFoV while maintaining excellent optical performance ?

I guess if they deliver optical performance to rival a really good abbe ortho then they might be onto something.

And they are advertising eye relief as one of the big selling points of the range. No doubt they will be good eyepieces but not the best choice for people who observe with glasses

Chatter "across the pond" has mentioned that these might be a re-vamp of the Meade HD 60 eyepieces. I've no idea if this is correct but the rumour seems to be gaining some traction, as they say.

I like how the description states "blackened lens edges to avoid reflexes" :happy8: Am I missing something ? I guess the spell checker got them.

They do look like nice eyepieces though.

12 hours ago, John said:

Chatter "across the pond" has mentioned that these might be a re-vamp of the Meade HD 60 eyepieces. I've no idea if this is correct but the rumour seems to be gaining some traction, as they say.

John - is it fair to assume at such an affordable price, this EP would have to be rebadged? ES seems to have such a wide  range of prices - so I've always assumed the expensive ones are those developed in house? 

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

John - is it fair to assume at such an affordable price, this EP would have to be rebadged? ES seems to have such a wide  range of prices - so I've always assumed the expensive ones are those developed in house? 

I think that is a fair assumption Mark :icon_biggrin:

ES seem to use 3 approaches to their eyepiece ranges:

- Re-boot an existing design.

- Replicate a leading edge design by another brand.

- Develop their own designs.

Not surprising perhaps that the last approach leads to the most expensive products.

18 hours ago, John said:

I think they're saying they might be a re-vamp of the Meade 5000 Plossls.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meade-series500-plossl-eyepcs125.html

Here's the ES in all FL's.

63c719c199556e85cc67a13317626c7e_02196xx

Archived