Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powermate or Explore Scientific focal extender

Is there any justification in spending £202 on a Televue 5x Powermate when I can buy a Explore Scientific 5x Barlow / Focal Extender for £99 ?

They are both Four-lens Telecentric Barlows (I'm led to believe) and Explore Scientific seem to get pretty good reviews.

I plan to use it solely for planetary imaging.

Has anyone, any thoughts on either ?

5x by any manufacturer is really pushing things to beyond the max.

if you are potentially considering spendin £200 on a Powermate, why not just get a second hand scope which has a much longer native focal length than the one you are using? 

It would be worth spending 20 minutes doing a good online search for your scope and 5x and your camera and seeig what results others have achieved.

James

Hi Martin,

I have a 2x PM (2")  and the ES 5x (1.25").   I am not the most seasoned of observers / imagers but using both on an 8" SCT with a ZWO 120mc to image Jupiter then I find the PM gives the best results. ie. the easiest to focus and resolve.  I find the ES almost has too much power and the image I am trying to capture is just not steady enough or has the contrast and detail to get reliable captures.   I do not use filters in the light path which could help eliminate edge fuzziness, ..I think I  read somewhere.

But PM's are expensive. The fact that not many come up for sale probably suggests people like them.

Sean.

Thanks all for the info

James I'd love to buy yet another telescope but, I daren't.

I've decided to go for the ES, having read a few reviews, at half the price of a TV, it's got to be worth a go.

If I ever get that rare combination of time and a clear sky, I'll post some images.

Here you go Martin,  dug some pictures out from last week.   I have cropped them to be the same size.

The left one is the ES 5X.

The right one is the PM 2X.

More or less the same processing was applied. I think the ES one had less frames in the stack.  I'm not the best photographer, and both shots were taken through the branches of a tree !!   The PM was a brighter image and so will have had a greater frame rate. (fps)  in the capture.

JUPcomp.jpg

Archived