Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adapter to increase objective lens diameter of handycam?

I can't really afford to buy any good binos now, but I have a handycam that has 40× optical zoom. I was just wondering, is there an accessory to increase the dia of the objective lens like an adapter and such? Just temporarily. If so please do me.

Unless there is a simple way of removing the current objective lens, I very much doubt it mate and I'm not sure why you would want to?

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, increasing the size of the lens would not increase the zoom of the camera, it would more likely do the opposite and increase the field of view... maybe at the expense of your camera's ability to focus.

If you want to increase the zoom, you'd have to extend the focal length of the lens. So unless you can unscrew the lens from your handycam and fit it with a telephoto lens similar to those used on DSLR cameras... I think you're better off leaving it as it is.

23 hours ago, Art Gecko said:

Unless there is a simple way of removing the current objective lens, I very much doubt it mate and I'm not sure why you would want to?

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, increasing the size of the lens would not increase the zoom of the camera, it would more likely do the opposite and increase the field of view... maybe at the expense of your camera's ability to focus.

If you want to increase the zoom, you'd have to extend the focal length of the lens. So unless you can unscrew the lens from your handycam and fit it with a telephoto lens similar to those used on DSLR cameras... I think you're better off leaving it as it is.

I don't want to increase the camera's zoom. Just want to trick the handycam into thinking that it has a larger dia, so that I could increase the light gathering capacity.

1 hour ago, Thepoorgazer said:

I don't want to increase the camera's zoom. Just want to trick the handycam into thinking that it has a larger dia, so that I could increase the light gathering capacity.

In that case, I think your best bet is a telescope and a digiscoping adapter that with fit your handycam... any telescope should do it, even a kids 3 inch first telescope, frac or newt, you can buy them for £10-£25 on eBay (am I allowed to say that?) or at a boot/yard sale... use the digiscoping adapter to align the lens on your handycam with the telescope eyepiece... as with everything related to astrophotography... the more money you can save toward buying your equipment, the easier it will be to get better results... if you haven't got much money to spend.. do plenty of research into what you want to achieve and look at other people's money saving methods on how they got there... learn from them as you build your own rig to suit your particular interests.

hope that helps

Art.

Archived