Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last nights moon.

thought I would upload another image of our moon I took last night

this image is a single shot, 

taken through my Skywatcher explorer 130p at x65 (using a 10mm EP).

i used a iPhone holder/adapter and night cap pro.

Nathan

image.jpeg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Good result for a single shot, you must try stacking!

To be completely honest I know nothing about stacking mate, I have only heard the phrase on SGL. I get the concept of stacking a few images for more detail but I wouldn't know where to start plus the photo was taken on a iPhone not even sure if you can stack on them and thanks mate

27 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

To be completely honest I know nothing about stacking mate, I have only heard the phrase on SGL. I get the concept of stacking a few images for more detail but I wouldn't know where to start plus the photo was taken on a iPhone not even sure if you can stack on them and thanks mate

Great job with the iPhone on the Moon. Have you tried Jupiter to pick up the moons?

12 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Great job with the iPhone on the Moon. Have you tried Jupiter to pick up the moons?

I have taken pictures of Jupiters and its moons mate....

im rather new to this and I'm finding to get any details on Jupiter I have to chase the iso and exposure which is completely leaving the moons in the dark on off the picture, I'm not sure if it's because of this iPhone or because I'm learning buddy

9 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

I have taken pictures of Jupiters and its moons mate....

im rather new to this and I'm finding to get any details on Jupiter I have to chase the iso and exposure which is completely leaving the moons in the dark on off the picture, I'm not sure if it's because of this iPhone or because I'm learning buddy

I'm learning all over again too. Took a long break there from taking pictures, almost 7 years, so feels like I'm starting from square one again.  

I dont think it's possible to get both at the same time with the phone. 

Is your telescope mount motorised?

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I'm learning all over again too. Took a long break there from taking pictures, almost 7 years, so feels like I'm starting from square one again.  

I dont think it's possible to get both at the same time with the phone. 

Is your telescope mount motorised?

I'm currently using the sky-watcher 130p , I have recently purchased a MD but haven't used it yet.

i was going to purchase a webcam style camera but can't as I don't own a laptop only a iPad and for some reason (maybe because the eye pad has its own cams) the software isn't compatible . 

I am happy doing what I'm doing for now anyway, I will be upgrading my scope before long,

going to get the SW skyline 200p , been checking it out today with a bit of green eyed monster in my eye haha. With it being a dob I don't think purchasing / spending serious money on camera gear is appropriate .... Or so I believe 

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice pic Nathan. Had a tweak myself with PS Express, better I think?

IMG_0016.JPG

A lot better mate I've also just been having a play around myself haven't got a clue what I'm doing tho hahahahaha pic below

image.png

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice pic Nathan. Had a tweak myself with PS Express, better I think?

IMG_0016.JPG

Again I had another play with the image and got from this to that below, what would you suggest with what I've done? Do you think I've made the image too dark? I'm desperately trying to bring out detail you see

thanks mate

image.png

image.jpeg

It's certainly a lot better than the unprocessed one, well done. The main difference I can see between mine and yours is that you seem to have lost the nice colour, it looks too blue now, not sure why. Also the highlights are a little too bright so some of the brighter detail is lost.

What are you using, PS Express?

I'ma long way from being an expert, I just try to adjust a combination of exposure, contrast and highlights/shadows so that the bright areas are not saturated and the detail in the blacks is not crushed. The just a bit of sharpening to bright out the detail.

Less is usually more to stop it looking too unnatural.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

It's certainly a lot better than the unprocessed one, well done. The main difference I can see between mine and yours is that you seem to have lost the nice colour, it looks too blue now, not sure why. Also the highlights are a little too bright so some of the brighter detail is lost.

What are you using, PS Express?

I'ma long way from being an expert, I just try to adjust a combination of exposure, contrast and highlights/shadows so that the bright areas are not saturated and the detail in the blacks is not crushed. The just a bit of sharpening to bright out the detail.

Less is usually more to stop it looking too unnatural.

Thanks Stu no mate got rid of ps express and got photoshop mix it seems a lot easier to use , has more on it and plus you can do stacking on it ?

1 hour ago, Nathan UK said:

Thanks Stu no mate got rid of ps express and got photoshop mix it seems a lot easier to use , has more on it and plus you can do stacking on it ?

Interesting. Just tried it and don't think it has as many capabilities in terms of processing as Express, but if it works for you, good stuff!

I use iPhone for imaging too, though I use a different app... I was wondering, can you control the ISO and focus manually in long exposure mode on  the nightcap app? As this is a problem I've had in ProCam4... the autofocus crops the images at slightly different sizes when it adjusts between subs...not much, but having to rescale each picture by 0.2% to align the stars is a nightmare... wondered if nightcap would make this a little easier?

24 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

I use iPhone for imaging too, though I use a different app... I was wondering, can you control the ISO and focus manually in long exposure mode on  the nightcap app? As this is a problem I've had in ProCam4... the autofocus crops the images at slightly different sizes when it adjusts between subs...not much, but having to rescale each picture by 0.2% to align the stars is a nightmare... wondered if nightcap would make this a little easier?

You can manually adjust all the parameters including focus in ProCam 4 and they stay fixed between exposures. Should be fine

1 minute ago, Stu said:

You can manually adjust all the parameters including focus in ProCam 4 and they stay fixed between exposures. Should be fine

Yes you can, but only up to half a second exposure... for long exposures the app controls everything, you only have control of the exposure length and the 3 modes: motion blur, light trail and low light... if the developers would put the same controls in long expo mode as it had in normal photo mode then it'd be a 100% 5 star app!!.... maybe the controls are different on an iPhone 6s or 7... I know that ProCam has RAW capture mode on these, but I'm afraid I only have the standard iPhone 6 so maybe I'm missing some features?

17 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

Yes you can, but only up to half a second exposure... for long exposures the app controls everything, you only have control of the exposure length and the 3 modes: motion blur, light trail and low light... if the developers would put the same controls in long expo mode as it had in normal photo mode then it'd be a 100% 5 star app!!.... maybe the controls are different on an iPhone 6s or 7... I know that ProCam has RAW capture mode on these, but I'm afraid I only have the standard iPhone 6 so maybe I'm missing some features?

Ah yes, you are right, I only ever use it for planetary stuff so it's not a problem for me.

Have you looked at LongExpo Pro? Looks like you can do it in there

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ah yes, you are right, I only ever use it for planetary stuff so it's not a problem for me.

Have you looked at LongExpo Pro? Looks like you can do it in there

It's only a problem for me while I don't have a DSLR or purpose build CCD camera for imaging.

Ive got the free LongExpo app and managed to get a recognisable M42 capture with it, but I gave up on it as it crashes a lot while saving the picture, I don't want to fork out money on too many camera apps when it could be better saved for one of the cameras I mentioned above... that's why I was enquiringly about night cap pro as I've heard it's a good app to try.

It's just great to see folks having a go with what they have at their disposal.
Smartphones do a mighty fine job of Imaging sky objects, the moon being the prime target.
Just keep at it, and results will improve. 
I'm not speaking from personal experience, but there was a member here at one time   username  Steelrat.
He did some superb stuff on the moon with his phone, and these things have improved a great deal since that time,
so all Is good for the Phone Cam. Imager. 

Archived