740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Review: Helios LightQuest-HR 16x70

Cheers Steve, great review as always :) I think it's a good move to improve image quality by increasing F-ratio from around 4 to 5. Lets face it, that jump from f4 to f5 can make a huge difference in scopes! Also, you'd expect to mainly mount a 16x70 bino so why not have them a touch longer? Aesthetically they look nice longer too in my opinion.  

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just joined and am dithering about getting some astro bins under £150 - Helios Quantum sound ok? 15 x 70.

Ive also seen some Bressner 20 x 80 advertised which seem to come with an inbuilt tripod attachment. Any advice wd be greatly appreciated. Im in the NE of Eng with fairly light poll skies but may occasionally go to dark skies.

A very informative and interesting read Steve, thank you.

What I really like is the consistent benchmarking you use, so we can rely on your reviews to be very "objective" (sorry!) and free of the emotional bias that many of us (myself included) can stray into.. You stick to the facts as you see them, assessing performance against a known, often "best in class" benchmark binocular. 

Having bought a binocular that you reviewed in this way, I had confidence that I would see largely what you reported in your review (good and bad), and so not get any nasty surprises. And so it proved.

There are SO many binos on the market these days that it can be truly difficult to know where to start and how to see past pure marketing "noise". To me, your reviews are unbiased, reliable and based on use in the field..What better way to assess potential binocular choices? 

These latest offerings from Helios really do seem to offer a very good all round package. Thanks again for reviewing them Steve?.

Dave

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ericleo1 said:

Ive just joined and am dithering about getting some astro bins under £150 - Helios Quantum sound ok? 15 x 70.

Ive also seen some Bressner 20 x 80 advertised which seem to come with an inbuilt tripod attachment. Any advice wd be greatly appreciated. Im in the NE of Eng with fairly light poll skies but may occasionally go to dark skies.

If you can get the Q4 for under £150, then go for it. Not as good as the Stellar II (£179), but a decent step up from the SKywatcher/Revelation budget offerings. There's some stuff on the Bresser here.

4 hours ago, F15Rules said:

A very informative and interesting read Steve, thank you.

What I really like is the consistent benchmarking you use,

Thanks, Dave; appreciated. It's darn difficult to be consistent, mostly because our skies aren't, but also because I suspect my eyesight may be gradually deteriorating with age. What I do appreciate is that the people who lend me binoculars to review for my website (mostly TBS/FLO, but I have just received three from Opticron) agree with a "no interference" policy - I will only change something if it is objectively wrong. It actually makes good business sense - some outfits (not ones I deal with!) used to get "shill" positive reviews written for them - they they realised that the cost of returns when the reality failed to meet the unrealistic hype was just not worth it.

• Like 2

Sorry to come back on this thread; Im not sure if my last post was in the correct place! I have had a look at Strathspey webpage and am thinking of buying the 15 x 70. Is it a relaible company anyone please?

3 hours ago, ericleo1 said:

Sorry to come back on this thread; Im not sure if my last post was in the correct place! I have had a look at Strathspey webpage and am thinking of buying the 15 x 70. Is it a relaible company anyone please?

Yep, very reliable and helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...