Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon. 17-03-17

johnfosteruk

After 2 weeks of permacloud with the exception of last Sunday it cleared at midnight so out I went.

Had an hour observing the terminator, then a little Jupiter and then it was time for a few quick images, as the seeing was remarkably steady.

First the full disk, captured with the frac. This is only 40 out of 100 frames stacked with the usual process. My only complaint is that I overexposed but it was salvageable.

58cb576179077_moonfd16-03.thumb.png.6a61732deb34fb3bbb3363c98a97eb75.png

And a terminator close up with the newt and a 2.5x barlow. 40 frames stacked the usual way. 

58cb5ff3afe48_mooncu16-03.thumb.png.ca9940e255448b5515c8ec6f385b586d.png

12 hours ago, RichM63 said:

Very good images, I'm surprised that you are not blanketed in fog, I have been since before the full Moon. :(

Well I was, until midnight, and then when I popped out again this morning there it was, cloud again!

11 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots John, very very nice detail mate, I think if you get a ed scope the world would be all yours mate but hay you don't need one with the shots your getting. well done. thanks, charl.

I'm glad you think I don't need one, multiple thousands saved there then :)

I am looking at a mak though.

1 hour ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Lovely crisp images John, my last effort wasn't great and I am unlikely to get any this weekend so it's good to look at images such as yours so that I can try to emulate them!

Thanks mate, and I don't think there's much emulation required, you've got it nailed the last time I looked.

8 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

I'm glad you think I don't need one, multiple thousands saved there then :)

I am looking at a mak though.

Are you looking at the 127 mak, it has about right focal length for imaging Luna with dslr

10 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Are you looking at the 127 mak, it has about right focal length for imaging Luna with dslr

yes, but also considering saving for a 150, I can do pretty nice full disks with what I've got, make the mak a mosaic workhorse with a ZWO or altair GP cam. 

Decisions decisions.

14 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Thanks mate, and I don't think there's much emulation required, you've got it nailed the last time I looked.

Thanks John, nice of you to say so! I too am looking at a ZWO or GPCAM, the GPCAM wins it for me based on cost for the same Sony IMX 224 chip, unless you want USB3! Having just bought the Canon 600D though, it's a bit off for me yet. I have the Mak 102 which is a cracking little scope but would love to trade up to a 127 or 150! the 150 is a big jump cost wise though!

1 hour ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Thanks John, nice of you to say so! I too am looking at a ZWO or GPCAM, the GPCAM wins it for me based on cost for the same Sony IMX 224 chip, unless you want USB3! Having just bought the Canon 600D though, it's a bit off for me yet. I have the Mak 102 which is a cracking little scope but would love to trade up to a 127 or 150! the 150 is a big jump cost wise though!

Steve, dont rush to trade up from the 102, i have owned all the Maks from a 90mm to 180mm and the 102 is a gem, a real powerhouse for its tiny size

2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Steve, dont rush to trade up from the 102, i have owned all the Maks from a 90mm to 180mm and the 102 is a gem, a real powerhouse for its tiny size

I am in no hurry, the 102 is a cracking scope. I have a lot to learn yet so it may never happen, I have the Skywatcher 150P and the WO 80ED that will keep me going. Really pleased with the images I'm getting with the Mak and the Canon 600D, want to try with a barlow next for closer shots then look at getting a GPCAM!

Archived