Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter the boring side but nice to be out!

Moonshane

Nice sketch Shane!

I've struggled with Jupiter so far this year, as its always been low when I've observed it. I'm just lazy and don't want to wait up until its high enough. It won't be long now before it reaches a good elevation at a civilised time, then I'm hoping for some wonderfully detailed views. 

Mike

10 minutes ago, BGazing said:

nice detail. 90x in bino should be the equivalent of 135x in mono, right?

The magnification stated was 900mm focal length of scope x 2.6 (GPC) / 25mm eyepiece = 93x. Not sure how that equates to 135x in mono? Is that a standard viewpoint?

I did also use 18mm (130x) and even tried 15mm (156x) and 12mm (195x) but the seeing/elevation didn't allow these sorts of mag with any real benefit.

9 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Nice sketch Shane!

I've struggled with Jupiter so far this year, as its always been low when I've observed it. I'm just lazy and don't want to wait up until its high enough. It won't be long now before it reaches a good elevation at a civilised time, then I'm hoping for some wonderfully detailed views. 

Mike

Agreed Mike, it is still quite low. I stayed up until about midnight and could see gradual improvement so as I said in my notes, I have high hopes. I have now added the Calsky view above which is a decent match

37 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

The magnification stated was 900mm focal length of scope x 2.6 (GPC) / 25mm eyepiece = 93x. Not sure how that equates to 135x in mono? Is that a standard viewpoint?

I did also use 18mm (130x) and even tried 15mm (156x) and 12mm (195x) but the seeing/elevation didn't allow these sorts of mag with any real benefit.

I was told that bino vision gives about 50% gain over mono view. I cannot recall where I have read that and it might be completely off and, of course, it is wrong to equal magnification and acuity.

Never tried binoviewing, so I am just fishing here in the dark.

here, after some search, a user mentions 40% aperture gain, which is not, of course, comparable to magnification increase. but still, above say 1.3mm exit pupil its sorta comparable as the magnification reveals new detail as opposed to simply blowing up detail that is already there.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51863-bino-vs-mono-acuity-sensitivity-and-contrast/?p=675708

i am sure someone actually knows this stuff, unlike me. :)

4 hours ago, BGazing said:

I was told that bino vision gives about 50% gain over mono view. I cannot recall where I have read that and it might be completely off and, of course, it is wrong to equal magnification and acuity.

Never tried binoviewing, so I am just fishing here in the dark.

here, after some search, a user mentions 40% aperture gain, which is not, of course, comparable to magnification increase. but still, above say 1.3mm exit pupil its sorta comparable as the magnification reveals new detail as opposed to simply blowing up detail that is already there.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/51863-bino-vs-mono-acuity-sensitivity-and-contrast/?p=675708

i am sure someone actually knows this stuff, unlike me. :)

There's a lot of debate about magnification increase in binoviewers, but usually after reading through copious view points and opinions, the reader I'd generally none the wiser.

From my personal experience I've found that 18mm TAK Le's in my binoviewer give a similar image scale on my FC100DC to a mono 5mm Pentax XW, (X148). The bino view could be even higher power than that, if Peter Drew's view that theres a X4 increase, is accurate. My favourite eyepieces that I use in my binoviewer are 16.8 Orthoscopics, which with Peters X4 formula is very close to the image scale to a 4mm giving me X176 (The 4mm would give X185). Variations in magnification can be had by altering the position of the X2 barlow lens relative to the eyepieces. When screwed directly into the binoviewer I get an image scale of approx X170. Using the Barlow in its own body and then attached to the binoviewer gives an image scale equivalent to X200 +. If I add a Takahashi extension tube and fit the Barlow before the diagonal it increases still further.

Mike

In some ways it's academic I suppose. I just look and change the eyepiece pair if the seeing won't (or will!) support what I want to use. I can say for certain (albeit based on a sample of one) that the views of Jupiter last night for such low elevation were very very good, and also very very relaxing.

1 minute ago, Moonshane said:

In some ways it's academic I suppose. I just look and change the eyepiece pair if the seeing won't (or will!) support what I want to use. I can say for certain (albeit based on a sample of one) that the views of Jupiter last night for such low elevation were very very good, and also very very relaxing.

I'm very jealous Shane, binoviewers just don't seem to work for me on planets :( 

Great sketch for such low mag!

5 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

They are great but agreed, not the cheapest solution. Buying used is a good option and cheap plossls work very well. 

looking at the prices it seems like 300 euros is where most of them are at...and than there's mark V...

5 hours ago, John said:

It's definitely worth trying binoviewers even if you ultimately find (as I did) that they are not for you. Otherwise you have that "what if ...." nagging in your head :rolleyes2:

yup. the thing is to try them before buying. or thread the same path...buy cheap, buy twice. and it does not make sense to splash in the dark and spend a lot on something you might not end up liking.

Archived