SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Satellites, 4 of them!

Since so many people are posting pictures of our moon in this competition, I'm assuming that any moon classes as a satellite?

So I thought I'd mix things up a bit and offer Jupiter's moons as my entry, 4 satellites in one photo!

I know that my picture doesn't compare to many of those in this forum, but I am new to imaging and this is my first EVER attempt at Jupiter, so I'm naturally quite pleased with it!

So, the technical bit:

OTA is a Skywatcher explorer 130, 900 FL, f6.9 on an EQ2 mount (I did use the tracking motor, but it merely slowed down the drift)

iPhone6 with ProCam4 app.

1 sub at ISO 2000, 1/17 sec (to get the moons) through a 10mm EP.

11  at ISO 64, 1/25 sec (to get Jupiter) through the 10mm EP but with additional X2 Barlow lens.

The 11 subs were stacked and processed manually in adobe After Effects and composited onto the shot with the moons, I also made sure Jupiter was resized to scale with the moons. I'm aware that many people use video footage to stack the frames when imaging Jupiter, which can yield better results, but hey, it's my first time and I know I'm the underdog here already, so I just thought it'd be fun to enter!

Clear skies! Art.

jupiter1.jpg

Archived