SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi everybody,Newbie from Doncaster

Grapefruitmoon

I have had a lifelong interest in all things cosmological,but have never really had the time to really pursue the hobby,I eventually plumped to get my very first Telescope  for Christmas,a  Skywatcher Heritage 130P,the only problem I am quickly learning is trying to find a clear sky with a Dark Sky location around Doncaster,the Light polution in this area is dreadful.I went out last night to Idle Bank at Westwoodside,thinking this location would be Excellent,but even though a very clear night,the light Polution from Doncaster is still really bad and still couldnt see Andromeda with the naked eye.Where do people go to in Doncaster to get an acceptable Dark Sky.I am new to the hobby,but I have to admit their are already BIG frustrations with getting an enjoyable sky around here.Any advice would be very welcome.Thanks

2 minutes ago, Grapefruitmoon said:

I have had a lifelong interest in all things cosmological,but have never really had the time to really pursue the hobby,I eventually plumped to get my very first Telescope  for Christmas,a  Skywatcher Heritage 130P,the only problem I am quickly learning is trying to find a clear sky with a Dark Sky location around Doncaster,the Light polution in this area is dreadful.I went out last night to Idle Bank at Westwoodside,thinking this location would be Excellent,but even though a very clear night,the light Polution from Doncaster is still really bad and still couldnt see Andromeda with the naked eye.Where do people go to in Doncaster to get an acceptable Dark Sky.I am new to the hobby,but I have to admit their are already BIG frustrations with getting an enjoyable sky around here.Any advice would be very welcome.Thanks

Welcome to SGL ,

firstly either make or purchase a light shroud. You can make your own easy enough and cheaply enough . Buying them can be expensive for what it is, that should help you see and block some pollution, I live in liverpools which is also heavily light polluted but I use the Skywatcher explorer 130p and I see a great deal of stuff.

a light shroud will be your solution in my opinion ,

Nathan

Hi Grapefruitmoon and welcome to SGL, I am afraid I am not conversant with the Doncaster area, but I am sure there will be someone along soon that can give you some guidance on suitable places to observe from, enjoy the forum :)

Hi and welcome to SGL - Sadly LP is the bane of all of our lives to some extent...... I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas of where to go, or have you considered a local astro society? They may be able to give you ideas as well.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi and welcome to the forum and the hobby ... and the fight with LP! ??

It's important to enjoy your struggle to overcome the challenges as well as the joy of having overcome them. (Good grief, that comes across as if I'm trying to be profound!)

Just have fun. ??

Welcome to the SGL.

From my garden the nearest street light is two garden widths away, far too close! but If I hide in the shadows, keeping my eyes away from the light, it does help, and the longer you look through the scope itself, the more you will actually see. I have even used a DoB-tent? its a portable utility tent supposedly for toilet use, has shelves for soap and towel, which can hold my eyepieces?

I don't know Doncaster without reference to Google Earth, but there is no doubt, getting away from any visual light pollution is a bonus, I was quite surprised by the difference, given Im using the same scope. It felt like I had a bigger better scope?

Hiding in the shadows, even a towel over your head will work, but the trick is to stay away from looking at the light, only looking through the scope.

Hi there,

This link should give you some idea of the nearest areas with less light pollution. Heading towards the coast or the Derby Dales looks like your best option.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=9&lat=7086924&lon=-113899&layers=B0TFFFFF

Alternatively you may want to try one of the local astronomy clubs - they often have access to relatively shrouded observing locations. There is one in Donnie:

http://www.donastro.org.uk

Clear skies.

John

Archived