Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Couple of Questions about the StarSense

I'm contemplating using the Celestron StarSense, and a couple of thoughts have crossed my mind.

1. If I replace my RDF on my refractor with the StarSense, it will be mounted on the part of the focuser that can rotate. Initially I thought that this wouldn't be suitable, but thinking a bit more it occurred to me that as the StarSense is only used during the initial setting up, then it shouldn't matter. However, it would probably require the initial calibration of the device to the 'scope to be carried out each time it is used as the focuser may well have been rotated during packing and unpacking during storage, or indeed to better frame objects during an imaging session. Any thoughts please?
  2. Although I've got reasonable views towards S, W and E, there are areas where there are power cables running over the garden, or tree branches intruding in places. Would it matter if some of this was included in StarSense's field of view during setting up, or does the StarSense absolutely  require a totally clear field?

Thanks

Ian

You need to fix the Starsense securely to the telescope tube, otherwise good results are not guaranteed. :happy11: You really don't want to be recalibrating the Starsense/telescope axis alignment every time you us it, as this defeats part of the point of having the SS. There is no need to remove the RDF, other than for mechanical reasons, and you will still need the RDF for setup and suchlike.

Don't worry about branches and power cables, or the occasional cloud - the device will still work. If you have a lot of obstructions, you can set the Starsense's aim manually (see the user manual pdf.)

You've not said which OTA you are using. I have mine on my refractor - along with guidescope (a few companies do 

something like this Omegon Tri-Finder finderscope mount that allow you to add more than one bit of kit to the finder scope out.)

1. The time it takes to do a recalibration, is pretty minimal. OK, it does add another 3-4 minutes to setup. But given that this is still under 10 minutes to get alignment, I see that as worth while if you must tear down every time. I image mostly, so, after PA, and StarSense auto align, I use AstroTortilla and stellarium to make sure my target is centered.

2. There is an option to tell SS where you can see stars. I'd have to dig up a copy of the manual to point you to the relevant chapter - I want need to use that myself :)

Past couple of bights I've been using AVX, Equinox ED80, with 600D, and guicescope/cam and star sense attached.

I just take this in and out most days - I have marks on the ground to lin the legs, so I just need to double check PA and run an auto align. No more the 30 mins from opening the doors to being aligned.

8 minutes ago, iapa said:

You've not said which OTA you are using. I have mine on my refractor - along with guidescope (a few companies do 

something like this Omegon Tri-Finder finderscope mount that allow you to add more than one bit of kit to the finder scope out.)

1. The ....

2. There is an option to tell SS where you can see stars. I'd have to dig up a copy of the manual to point you to the relevant chapter - I want need to use that myself :)

Indeed there is, and you can save your selected fields in the manual auto option. But I was particularly interested in whether it needed a completely unobstructed view, or whether it will tolerate bits and pieces. I've since found out that the camera's FoV is less than 10 degrees wide, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ian

29 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Indeed there is, and you can save your selected fields in the manual auto option. But I was particularly interested in whether it needed a completely unobstructed view, or whether it will tolerate bits and pieces. I've since found out that the camera's FoV is less than 10 degrees wide, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ian

As I mentioned, it's not an issue for me - pretty good views from SW-N-E.

However, still interested to know if it does well work with your more differently limited sky view.

It takes a lot of time out of your setup by speeding up your star alignment.

If you could advise what sort of issues you are experiencing perhaps someone can help you resolve them?

Of course, if you dont want it, I'd be quite happy to take if if your hands off the cost of the postage :)

9 hours ago, newbie alert said:

What do you want starsense for? i bought mine before christmas and it hasnt worked yet!

Kind of thinking i dont need it now

I'm surprised you've had much opportunity to try it out properly, with all the clouds we've had! I'm hoping it'll make life a little easier, not that manual aligning is difficult but with my ageing frame anything helps :icon_biggrin:. I'm also hoping for a more precise alignment.

Ian

Ive tried twice at my dark sky location and a few times at home with intermitant cloud...at home it got to 98% solved so next time at the datk site i was confident it would work but it didnt..said its star count was on 38 but i could see more with my eyes( nomally between 100-170 stars)..i emailed celestron again and he said it shouldnt do that...so losing abit of faith..but will try again..

To be clear, I'm not intending to use it for polar alignment as I have an Alt-Az mount, though I'd be interested to know how effective it is at polar aligning. What sort of exposure times would it allow one to get just by using the StarSense alone for polar aligning?

Ian

I've had a Starsense for Skywatcher for a few days now and only really had 2 quick goes with it.  Worked both times straight out of the box, which I'm happy with as I've seen others having issues.

When I say 'worked', there were a couple of times it locked up during an auto align and the HC was totally unresponsive. On both occasions it was looking almost straight up towards the zenith.  Power on/off & start again!

I did a Manual Align, followed by a User Auto Align and it's not happened since , I did try a number of other auto aligns to check and all now seems OK, but time will tell on that one!

It now auto aligns using only N, E & S ....  my W horizon is mostly blocked by our house.  I know that in theory the SS means you don't need an RDF, but with my admittedly limited time using it, I did find my Telrad was a great help during the manual align.

As for goto accuracy, well my set up was very quick (pushed for time on both occasions).  A very rough PA by pointing the scope N,  a quick look through my Telrad  .....  "Yeah that's about North!" was about as much as it took.

Then an Auto Align and first time Calibrate Centre were giving me goto's where the object was within view in a 9mm EP, not centred but visible each time and each time was less than 5 mins from switching on the power.  I imagine with a better PA and a few calibration stars things should improve. 

I'll be running through the Calibrate Centre routine again next time as I've swapped the position of the SSA on the scope to give my guide scope a better position.

For visual observing it does seem to make things much quicker and easier ...... not tried any (guided or unguided) imaging yet, but if it gets me on a target quickly so I can switch over to the guide cam then I'll be happy.

Early days (or nights) but looking good so far!

Al

22 hours ago, The Admiral said:

To be clear, I'm not intending to use it for polar alignment as I have an Alt-Az mount, though I'd be interested to know how effective it is at polar aligning. What sort of exposure times would it allow one to get just by using the StarSense alone for polar aligning?

Ian

starsense plate solves on star alignment..nothing to do with polar alignment as i found out after i bought it..

As you have a az mount then you would be restricted on exposure times anyway..

You can buy mine if you like..but i cant get it to work

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

starsense plate solves on star alignment..nothing to do with polar alignment as i found out after i bought it..

As you have a az mount then you would be restricted on exposure times anyway..

You can buy mine if you like..but i cant get it to work

after doing alignment, calibration, the another alignment, the controller allows you do correct/improve polar alignment, then do another alignment.

It's all done in very short order.

I know some people try to do an 'alignment' indoors, and forget to do a reset before using on stars :).

On 18/03/2017 at 10:49, newbie alert said:

Ive tried twice at my dark sky location and a few times at home with intermitant cloud...at home it got to 98% solved so next time at the datk site i was confident it would work but it didnt..said its star count was on 38 but i could see more with my eyes( nomally between 100-170 stars)..i emailed celestron again and he said it shouldnt do that...so losing abit of faith..but will try again..

Does your StarSense also tell you there are insuffient stars for a fix? Is 38 too few?

Also, how do you estimate 100-170 stars visible in a FoV of only a few degrees square?

Ian

29 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Does your StarSense also tell you there are insuffient stars for a fix? Is 38 too few?

Also, how do you estimate 100-170 stars visible in a FoV of only a few degrees square?

Ian

yes it said too few stars on the 38 occasion,with a almost perfect fov and clear skies..and the times its done 100-171 is usual for the amount it collects at home in light polluted skies without a great fov with intermitant cloud...

Archived