Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SS Cygni

I'm doing some studying with the Open University and came across something in the book which I thought you might find interesting.

We are looking at Cataclysmic Variables. The book we are using has a chart showing the variation in luminosity of the variable  SS Cygni over nearly 100 years of observation data collected by amateur astronomers in a group called the American Association of Variable Star Observers and there is a credit for the chart to John Cannizzo.

They should be proud of that achievement and it shows how well amateurs can contribute to Astronomy.

There have been a number of posts from people who've gotten bored with the subject after ticking off the lists of interesting objects but I was thinking that taking on a project such as variable star observation could rekindle  interest.

Cheers

Steve

I have just this year become rather hooked on variable star observing with my CCD camera. There is some free software, Muniwin, that will do all the processing and there is loads of help and guidance on the BAA variable star section website.

If you are equipped for imaging then you can do useful work on variable stars. I have now invested in a V photometric filter which makes the results even more useful.

Dave

I'm thinking this is something I'd like to try but I haven't the kit at the moment.

Just a quick technical question. How do you calibrate your measurements? Since each night the atmosphere will be more or less transparent there must be some way of allowing for that.

Cheers

Steve

On 17/03/2017 at 21:47, woodblock said:

I'm thinking this is something I'd like to try but I haven't the kit at the moment.

Just a quick technical question. How do you calibrate your measurements? Since each night the atmosphere will be more or less transparent there must be some way of allowing for that.

Cheers

Steve

What I do is comparative photometry. Basically you download a finderchart fro the particular star from the aavso website and on that chart will be marked some suitable comparison stars with their precise magnitudes quoted on a separate page. The Software, Muniwin, then works out the magnitude of the variable star by comparison. You say that you don't have the kit at the moment but just a DSLR and lens can do valuable measurements.

Dave

Hi Steve,

Nice that you also like variable stars :happy11:

Check the site of the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO). They have a lot of information and even maintain some observation manuals, like the DSLR Observing manual. It is worth a look because things can be way less trivial than they seem at first.

Best,

CS

1 hour ago, woodblock said:

Thanks Dave,

I have a DSLR. Would I need a tracking mount for the camera?

Cheers

Steve

Probably but not necessarily. It is certainly worth a try, a short exposure and high iso should enable you to "see" many of the brighter variable stars. I've never tried this.

Dave

Archived