Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

frugal

California Nebula under moonlit skies

First attempt at imaging in a while. Probably not a good idea to try this with an unmodified DSLR, but I figured I would give it a go. Only 10x300s subs before the moisture levels really started to rise and everything just became soggy. Lots of problems with guiding as well, 8 out of the 10 had some kind of guidance error show up in the frame (fortunately they were straight lines out and bak in one of the cardinal directions so they mostly got cleared up in stacking). Final image is horribly noisy due to the poor quality of the starting frames, but I am at least back in the saddle again. Someone remind me where PixInsight put the "Silk Purse from Sows Ear" function, I seem to have lost it ;)

33470068745_4cf1255b6d_c.jpgNGC1499_CaliforniaNebula 

To give you an example of the frames I had to work with:

33086533510_41ddf2b95c_c.jpgngc1499-Light-ISO800-300sec-frame3_16C 

Lights: 10x300s @ ISO800; Darks: 112; Bias: 489; Flats: 35

Scope: Skywatcher ED80-DS Pro

Camera: Canon D60 (unmodified)

Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT

Guiding: Skywatcher ST-80 and Lodestar X2 using PHD

Processing: PixInsight

I tried to move from ISO400 to ISO800 as I read that it helps with the horrible banding from the Canon camera, however now I end up with bright stars blowing out ;(

Edited by frugal
  • Like 4

Very good effort considering the conditions.

As you have PI go to  script > utilities > Canon banding reduction, (you may have to alter the parameters slightly) it does a great job of removing even the worst banding.

8 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Very good effort considering the conditions.

As you have PI go to  script > utilities > Canon banding reduction, (you may have to alter the parameters slightly) it does a great job of removing even the worst banding.

I make extensive use of that script when I have a bad image, but sometimes the image defeats the script. For example, this stack of 41x30 second subs has horrible banding that does not appear in any of the individual subs, or the bias/dark frames, and defeated all of my attempts at cleaning it up. Fortunately I only needed the core for HDR processing with some longer duration subs.

33346058961_c23513dd20_c.jpgM42_0030s_Color

• Like 1

Wow thats serious banding, i have never encountered anything that bad and never vertical though i am fairly new to AP.

Nice shot of the California nebula under the given situation. Do you have a single sub with the background extracted? 

42 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Nice shot of the California nebula under the given situation. Do you have a single sub with the background extracted? 

Here is the same single sub, but calibrated (Darks, Bias, Flats), Background Neutralisation, and a simple stretch to make it non linear (puts the peak of the histogram at 25%).

33347470761_5fb7ca4d24_c.jpgngc1499_Light_ISO800_300sec_frame3_16C_c_RGB_VNG

• Like 2

The Nebula is starting to reveal itself--nice FOV.  I know all to well the conditions you face.  If it wasn't for narrowband I would probably have long ago beat my rig into smithereens.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

If it wasn't for narrowband I would probably have long ago beat my rig into smithereens.

I keep putting various combinations of CCDs and filters into the FLO shopping basket, in the hope that one time it will magically become affordable; then sighing and taking it all back out again.

5 minutes ago, frugal said:

I keep putting various combinations of CCDs and filters into the FLO shopping basket, in the hope that one time it will magically become affordable; then sighing and taking it all back out again.

I know that feeling too!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stevebb
      Having recently replaced my astrophotography camera, I now have the old one up for sale on an astro site. However, doesn't hurt advertising it here

Here is an astro modified Canon Rebel xsi which is the Canon 450D equivalent. It is "good" condition and fully working order but does have some light scratches to the rear screen. I have tried to photograph these but they do not show up when the camera is switched on
      Shutter count is 3860 which is extremely low.
      Also included are the following :
      Astronomik CLS clip filter which really is fantastic and makes a huge difference. It also adds additional dust protection.
      Battery system / dc coupler - connects to a figure of 8 lead (IEC C7 Power Lead) - I might have one spare if deemed absolutely necessary. This device provides permanent power to the camera for those long nights - brilliant !
      3 batteries and multi-voltage charger (mains / 12volt / 24volt)
      I do not have the original box but it can be posted to UK address.
      I would prefer collection (near Filey, North Yorkshire) but willing to post if you cover Paypal fees.
      I might have a couple more batteries in other camera bags !!
      Reason for sale is purchase of an astro modified Sony A7S with canon lens adaptor.
      Including a few photos taken with this camera. Two of these images were placed 1st and 3rd in two separate Astrofest competitions in Yorkshire (York and Hull).
      £120

• By Jason126
      Newb here. I have settled on my first telescope being the 4SE or 6SE and I have a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR I would like to be able to connect to play around with AP. I am barely starting to grasp the terminology involved with telescopes in general but it seems connecting a camera to a telescope is a whole different ball game.
      It seems as though the 4SE has a separate eyepiece and camera attachment? Looks like you can just flip a knob to swap between the viewer and camera? Whereas the 6SE it appears that you have to remove the whole eyepiece to connect the camera. After reading some reviews everyone says they immediately wanted a more powerful telescope so I am thinking the 6SE may be the way to go but I really don't like the idea of having to swap back and forth by removing the eyepiece, is there an after-market accessory that would allow it to work more like the 4SE (flip a switch from viewer to camera and back)?
      And I guess my other question is are the optics really that much better on the 6SE that it would be worth the hassle when connecting the camera? I see that the light gathering capability and magnification are better but how perceivable is that difference? My goal is to do some moon viewing but it would be great to see some cool deep space objects too. +
      One final thought, how much does the auto star tracking feature help or hurt the image quality? I mean on a 20 second+ exposure the object is going to move some amount, is the Nexstar tracking system really able to keep the object that precisely still in the optics? Or should I just expect to get blurry spots of light when photographing deep space objects?
      Thanks
    • By Ahgii
      Hi all!
      Few days ago i tried imaging a deep sky object for the first time, so i tried m13 as an easy first target, I used took 7  lights, out of witch i selected 3 for stacking, and used 5 darks. DSS only selected 1 frame out of the 3 and stacked that. The result wasn't that good but then again....it's the first time i'm doing this. Settings were iso 6400, 15 second exposure, auto WB. I have also been having this problem, when my telescope slews to a target, it's always to the left of the frame and that was a bummer since i had to crop my picture. Please give me your advice and feedback, Clear skies!

• By Xiga
      Hi guys
      I thought the DSO season was well and truly over for me, but the weather's been unusually clear here in N.I for the last while that i just couldn't help myself 😛
      So even though there is no astro dark at this time of year up here at 54 degrees N, i decided i wouldn't let that stop me try for one last target. There was also a very big bright moon up as well, so i figured M13 was pretty much the only viable target for me. Of course, with just a wee SW 80ED to work with (at 510mm FL) i knew i didn't really have the FL to do this one justice, but having never shot a Globular Cluster before i was still excited to give it a go. So here it is:
      Shot on May 24 from Crumlin, N.Ireland
      20 * 420s with the IDAS-D1 at  ISO 200
      10 * 60s with the IDAS-D1 at  ISO 200
      All frames dithered aggressively every frame
      Usual gear, Nikon D5300 on a HEQ5-Pro, guided with a QHY5 and PHD2, and captured with SGP. 
      AstroPixelProcessor used for stacking, gradient reduction, and star colour calibration. Everything else done in Photoshop. The 60s subs were used just for the core. 
      I'm kind of pleased with how it came out. Although i'm not completely sure tbh, as this is new ground for me, and if there's one area the wee 80ED does struggle a tad with it's with stars, and with a globular there's certainly nowhere to hide on that front!
      Also attached is a 100% crop showing just the globular cluster itself. 
      C&C most welcome as always. 
      Cheers guys!

• By Ahgii
      Hi all!
      Last night i went out to a friend's place on the outskirts of the city to image jupiter with my 8 incher and my DSLR. Atmospheric conditions were average-ish, just enough to push the scope to F20. I used backyardEOS in planetary mode to control the camera and captured jupiter 2 times about 45 minutes apart with 1700 Frame videos. In one of the images the great red spot is visible and in the other it's not. Please give me your honest feedback and advice, Clear skies!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.