Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Poolaris 114EQ-D mount question

Scdouglas

Does anyone know if I'd be able to reuse the equatorial mount from the 114eq-d with a different OTA? I have the Polaris lying around since I have a better telescope but I'm looking to upgrade and not buying a new mount could shave off $100-$200. From my understanding it's only a matter of how much weight the mount can hold but I can't find that information anywhere. If anyone knows that'd be great. Thanks in advance. 

9 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The Meade mount looks identical to the Skywatcher EQ2 / Celestron CG3 so any telescope supplied on those mounts will be suitable, Skywatcher Evostar 90, Explorer 130, Skymax 102, Celestron Astromaster 90. Astromaster 130.

could I potentially buy new mounting rings for a larger scope and mount it to this mount? Or is this mount made specifically for certain telescope designs and anything else is incompatible with it? Thanks

Just now, Cornelius Varley said:

The Meade mount uses a standard vixen style dovetail bar, so you will need a pair of tube rings for the new telescope. These may even be supplied with the new telescope.

perfect. Exactly the answer I was looking for. Still debating over getting an OTA with the tube rings or getting a collapsible dobsonian. I'll have to see what the final price is. Anyway thanks for the help.

Archived