Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD problems

cuivenion

I am using a Vixen GP with AstroEQ with EQMOD. Even though I've been using it for a while there are some things I'm unsure of.

In EQMOD setup what setting do I need for SideOfPier? I have it set to non (ASCOM) at the moment.

Also does my choice of epoch matter as long as it's the same as the planetarium software I'm using?

I generally use stellarium with stellariumscope, but I have to reverse my RA in the AstroEQ setting for it to work correctly is there some way to correct this? It doesn't happen when using CDC.

Lastly in the Mount Position part of the EQMOD driver, next to the slew controls there is a reading for PierSide that reads "East Pointing West". Is this correct and if not is there anyway to change it.

Any help much appreciated I havn't seen a lot on these subjects on google.

Guest Tuomo
42 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I am using a Vixen GP with AstroEQ with EQMOD. Even though I've been using it for a while there are some things I'm unsure of.

In EQMOD setup what setting do I need for SideOfPier? I have it set to non (ASCOM) at the moment.

Also does my choice of epoch matter as long as it's the same as the planetarium software I'm using?

I generally use stellarium with stellariumscope, but I have to reverse my RA in the AstroEQ setting for it to work correctly is there some way to correct this? It doesn't happen when using CDC.

Lastly in the Mount Position part of the EQMOD driver, next to the slew controls there is a reading for PierSide that reads "East Pointing West". Is this correct and if not is there anyway to change it.

Any help much appreciated I havn't seen a lot on these subjects on google.

I really want to know those answers too.

The easiest way to fix the direction issue in RA, is to set it in the configuration utility (7.4 or the 7.5.1 Beta) available from Tom's website.

I set mine to side of pier = Ascom & epoch to j2000 & don't worry about side of pier in EQmod

5 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

The easiest way to fix the direction issue in RA, is to set it in the configuration utility (7.4 or the 7.5.1 Beta) available from Tom's website.

I set mine to side of pier = Ascom & epoch to j2000 & don't worry about side of pier in EQmod

Hi, that's what I've done, I'm just wondering why my RA's reversed in the first place. There are two ascom settings for side of pier, which one do you use?

8 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Hi, that's what I've done, I'm just wondering why my RA's reversed in the first place. There are two ascom settings for side of pier, which one do you use?

It's due to how the phases of the stepper motor is wired. If you re-wire the motor phases it will start to turn the other way. You can check you manufacturer's specs for the motor to see which wires couple together for each phase. Usually it is blue-red and green-black. 

About the EQMod settings; I have no idea but the default settings seem to work for me in CDC. However, I wouldn't say no to a detailed explanation.

2 hours ago, doramason said:

It's due to how the phases of the stepper motor is wired. If you re-wire the motor phases it will start to turn the other way. You can check you manufacturer's specs for the motor to see which wires couple together for each phase. Usually it is blue-red and green-black. 

About the EQMod settings; I have no idea but the default settings seem to work for me in CDC. However, I wouldn't say no to a detailed explanation.

Hi, I thought I had it wired right but I'll double check it. I have changed Side Of Pier a couple of times, do you know what the default is?

On 15/03/2017 at 17:14, cuivenion said:

Set the SideOfPier to Pointing(ASCOM). This is the ASCOM standard method for reporting SideOfpier - the other methods are to maintain backward compatibility for folks who are using non ASCOM complaint applications.

EPOCH doesn't really matter. All it does is set an EPOCH that EQMOD will report to any application that asks the question "what epoch should I use". If you are setting up the planetarium separately, or it doesn't ask that particular ASCOM question (and most don't!) then EPOCH will make no difference (The EPOCH doesn't make any difference to EQMOD itself).

1 minute ago, chrisshillito said:

Set the SideOfPier to Pointing(ASCOM). This is the ASCOM standard method for reporting SideOfpier - the other methods are to maintain backward compatibility for folks who are using non ASCOM complaint applications.

EPOCH doesn't really matter. All it does is set an EPOCH that EQMOD will report to any application that asks the question "what epoch should I use". If you are setting up the planetarium separately, or it doesn't ask that particular ASCOM question (and most don't!) then EPOCH will make no difference (The EPOCH doesn't make any difference to EQMOD itself).

Thanks Chris much appreciated.

19 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Hi, I thought I had it wired right but I'll double check it. I have changed Side Of Pier a couple of times, do you know what the default is?

There are no right or wrong that's why Tom put a reverse option in config utility. As long as you can point and track accurate enough don't get bothered with stuff like this. There are already many things to worry about, I would recommend to keep the list as short as possible ;)

3 hours ago, doramason said:

There are no right or wrong that's why Tom put a reverse option in config utility. As long as you can point and track accurate enough don't get bothered with stuff like this. There are already many things to worry about, I would recommend to keep the list as short as possible ;)

Lol too true.

Archived