Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon sketch

Richard Hather

I was hoping to get out tonight to do my first lunar sketch but the clouds had other ideas ?

I did however have a practice sketch earlier today and thought I would share it with you all anyway.

Ive tried using my moon map to know what area of the moon I sketched without success.

Ive also posted the image I took for practice with, the are of the moon I sketched is bottom left near the terminator if anyone knows the name of the area don't hesitate to inform me ?

I enjoyed lunar sketching and can't wait to try it whilst observing ☺

Clear skys ✨??☄️

Richard

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5342.JPG

Memm I am not sure which craters they are, Could it be Aristillus (the large one), Cassini and Theaetetus bellow? Autolycus would be missing.

But again, it's a wild guess.

That's also a really nice sketch (; Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you everyone, it was strange sketching from a picture I took, I think I would get a lot more detail when actually observing hopefully tonight ?

I think I sketched the Archimedes crater and below the Kirch crater going of moon globe?

What a great app I can't wait to use it to find targets.

Clear skys ✨??☄️

Richard

2 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Thank you everyone, it was strange sketching from a picture I took, I think I would get a lot more detail when actually observing hopefully tonight ?

I think I sketched the Archimedes crater and below the Kirch crater going of moon globe?

What a great app I can't wait to use it to find targets.

Clear skys ✨??☄️

Richard

I can't remember his name at the moment, may be others can help, but there was a 19th century lunar observer who used photographs as a foundation onto which he sketched detail. It's not really cheating as it assures accuracy of the formation. Even today, its very rare that an image of the moon can reveal the same level of fine detail that the eyepiece view in a good scope can. So, it could be  good way of accurately rendering the eyepiece  view by adding to an image. 

Mike

Something to think about tonight maybe I will take my DSLR out with me and get some more images.

It is tough to get detail of the moon from any image I found that out last week but I'm hoping it won't be as challenging tonight as I'm a bit more used to using the camera and all the different settings.

Honestly can't get enough of the moon at the moment and with any luck I mite get my first observation of Jupiter tonight ?

Clear skies ✨??☄️

Richard

Archived