Narrowband

Solar Observing

Yes- a sheet is only about £20 and you can make a perfectly safe filter with that (or maybe several filters if you have a smaller scope).  You only need basic cardboard and scissors DIY skills to make a holder.  Make sure you get Baader ND5.0 filter and NOT 3.8 which is for photography only.

I notice you are in the USA so I believe Baader film is available but there is also USA made "Thousand Oaks" film - does the same job.

I wouldnt say it is unsafe. It depends on how well you stick the solar film from the glasses down so they cant blow off in a breeze etc. I just think the size of the bits of solar film you get in eclipse glasses wouldnt be enough to cover the front of a scope and could possibly let light in around the edges?.

Best to buy a full sheet and cut to size for whatever it is you want to use.

not knowing the blocking "strengh" of the glasses I'd be loathed to use them. looking at the sun is one thing but magnifying that view brings a whole load of issues into play.

I can look at the sun naked eye without any serious injury (although I wouldn't advice more than a glance) doing the same through a scope could cause permanent damage. 

15 minutes ago, Scott said:

not knowing the blocking "strengh" of the glasses I'd be loathed to use them. looking at the sun is one thing but magnifying that view brings a whole load of issues into play.

I can look at the sun naked eye without any serious injury (although I wouldn't advice more than a glance) doing the same through a scope could cause permanent damage. 

I hadnt thought about it like that. Yes indeed, looking at the sun through zero magnification solar glasses is one thing.............adding magnification to those same glasses could be a bad thing. 

16 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Ok thanks all, would small 10 x 25 binoculars be better or no better. The glasses cover both the lenses with room to spare.

As above................the glasses may be fine for looking at the Sun because they give zero magnification. I wouldnt risk it by putting them on the lens'.

1 minute ago, Galen Gilmore said:

.... Better safe than sorry I guess :happy8:

Can there be any doubt ?

A solar filter for a scope costs perhaps $20-$40, less if you make your own using the Baader Safety Film. How much is the sight in one eye worth ?

I think this is what they call a "no-brainer"

Archived