Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus At Sunset - But No Mercury Yet!

cloudsweeper

Set out to see Mercury just after sunset, having so far only seen it in transit across the Sun last year.  So off to the coast (west), where the only cloud in the sky was a long low black band across the horizon!

I'm not really sure I'd have seen Mercury at only 6 degrees, that close to sunset anyway, but it was not a total waste of time since Venus was easily seen at 18 degrees as a lovely slender crescent at the bottom of her disc.

And now it's clear over the garden so here I go again!

Doug.

4 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I manged it through the scope after I had used Venus to sync it on, even then it was a bit faint against the very milky sky.

Thanks Steve - that's good to know.  I probably wouldn't have spotted it even without the cloud bank since I only had binos with me!

Doug.

Unlucky Doug,

atleast you had a nice view of Venus mate. I need to get myself some binos for the just out and about go.

dont really know anything about them tho or what mags are best for what type of observing 

4 hours ago, Nathan UK said:

Unlucky Doug,

atleast you had a nice view of Venus mate. I need to get myself some binos for the just out and about go.

dont really know anything about them tho or what mags are best for what type of observing 

Cheers, Nathan!  I'll wait until there is greater separation between Mercury and the Sun, I reckon.  But as you say, Venus was nice - the crescent at the bottom of the disc is unlike the lunar crescent in these parts.

The binos are 8 x 50s which I've had for ages.  You could do with a pair when fishing, rather than take a load more stuff with you.  x10s are popular, but you can get x15 and more, although the field narrows then, and they are unstable and generally need a tripod.  And of course a bigger aperture than 50 (70, 100) makes everything brighter.

Doug.

14 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Venus is a beautiful slender crescent now with almost any optical aid. 

Yes, Kerry!  And the crescent at the base of the disc is rather unusual to see.  Because it looked "wide", I initially thought it was a 'plane!

Doug.

2 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yes, Kerry!  And the crescent at the base of the disc is rather unusual to see.  Because it looked "wide", I initially thought it was a 'plane!

Doug.

Yes. When Venus is 'above' the sun it looks most unusual. Stunning sight in the dusk.

I managed to catch Venus about an hour ago. The phase was clear with my 6x30 finder and the planet looked lovely at 200x-250x with my Tak 100. I didn't see Mercury or the tiny Mars though although my quarry was Venus for that session.

54 minutes ago, John said:

I managed to catch Venus about an hour ago. The phase was clear with my 6x30 finder and the planet looked lovely at 200x-250x with my Tak 100. I didn't see Mercury or the tiny Mars though although my quarry was Venus for that session.

Nice one, John!  I was delighted to see Venus y'day, despite going there to try for Mercury.  Since I had to travel a bit, I didn't have all my gear, only binos - the view west from home is nothing but trees!

There's always something new, something beautiful, and something else to try for.  What a hobby!

Doug.

Archived