SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this how I do it?

Nova2000

As far as u know. To make a permanent pier, 

Dig a hole. 

Fill it with concrete 

Bolt a pier to It and keep the concrete block separated from the surrounding ground by wood. 

Am I right? 

If I want to move the full shed 

I'll have to make rails right? My surrounding is hot. What material would you'll suggest for the shed? And yes it pours a lot. 

Pretty much. Don't forget to put your threaded bar in the concrete whilst it is wet. You will need to make a template to hold them in the correct position whilst the concrete sets. You then let it dry and drop the pier onto the threaded bar and bolt it down.

20 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Pretty much. Don't forget to put your threaded bar in the concrete whilst it is wet. You will need to make a template to hold them in the correct position whilst the concrete sets. You then let it dry and drop the pier onto the threaded bar and bolt it down.

Ok. So I put 4 irons bars with threading on top, put the pier and bolt it down.? 

I wouldn't bother putting wood in your hole to separate the concrete from the ground. In time it will rot and leave a void.

I would also suggest bending the threaded rod you set into the concrete to increase it's purchase. But make sure the rod that protrudes above the concrete block comes out vertically.

As for a moving shed, don't make it too large (voice of experience here - 400kg is too large!) but ensure that a gust of wind can't blow it off its rails (same VoE :( ). Also, make sure it is structurally rigid, or the body can "rack" as it is rolled on or off.

I used wood to make my shed, in order to keep the thermal mass down, so the rolled-off shed doesn't create thermal currents. However, wood needs painting - and getting marine-quality wood might be difficult. It is near impossible in southern Spain. Luckily we get less than 30cm of rain a year in these parts. Insects, lizards and animals  nesting in the nice, warm, shed are a bigger problem.

23 minutes ago, pete_l said:

I wouldn't bother putting wood in your hole to separate the concrete from the ground. In time it will rot and leave a void.

I would also suggest bending the threaded rod you set into the concrete to increase it's purchase. But make sure the rod that protrudes above the concrete block comes out vertically.

As for a moving shed, don't make it too large (voice of experience here - 400kg is too large!) but ensure that a gust of wind can't blow it off its rails (same VoE :( ). Also, make sure it is structurally rigid, or the body can "rack" as it is rolled on or off.

I used wood to make my shed, in order to keep the thermal mass down, so the rolled-off shed doesn't create thermal currents. However, wood needs painting - and getting marine-quality wood might be difficult. It is near impossible in southern Spain. Luckily we get less than 30cm of rain a year in these parts. Insects, lizards and animals  nesting in the nice, warm, shed are a bigger problem.

So how do I separate the concrete block?  Rainfall here is more than 1mtr a try mostly ?. I'm still thinking of a good design. 

10 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

So how do I separate the concrete block?  Rainfall here is more than 1mtr a try mostly ?. I'm still thinking of a good design. 

Yes you are correct. Make a wooden box to separate the wet cement from the ground by enough space and then once the cement is dry remove the wood. I called mine the 'Emperor's Chair''. If I find a picture of it I will post it.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a8d3618e3fad39391f460d1d3165079.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes you are correct. Make a wooden box to separate the wet cement from the ground by enough space and then once the cement is dry remove the wood. I called mine the 'Emperor's Chair''. If I find a picture of it I will post it.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a8d3618e3fad39391f460d1d3165079.jpeg

So I remove the wood and put sand? I've seen some do like this maybe. Total newbie here :)

Archived