Narrowband

Dual rig viewing

I have an AzEQ6 and one of the benefits of this mount is the ability to do dual scope in Az mode. I set it up for an outreach event recently with a 10" newt and a 80mm refractor, but found it difficult to get them both aligned on the same object. Alt adjustment is fine, it is the Azimuth side to side ones, given the scopes are attached directly via the dovetails. What solutions do people use, other than the rather expensive adjustable guidescope type saddles or is that the only decent solution?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, I have done the same for outreach with my AZEQ6.  Its easy to align in Az in a few seconds by using the cone error adjusters on the dovetail.  See below for my ED80.  I have also used brass shims between the dovetail bar and scope ring when I had my 130PDS set up semi-permanently.

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.0567e9a814c0e2f63af1b74be79e057e.JPG

Mercury transit....

IMG_0384.JPG.dd444f7bed3a54b0e5b00f59c7d610b7.JPG

I was able to get both the PST and the Vixen refractor pointing at exactly the same place with the Skytee II mount (also being used for outreach). No drives on that mount though.

solarkit01.JPG

5 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Matt, I have done the same for outreach with my AZEQ6.  Its easy to align in Az in a few seconds by using the cone error adjusters on the dovetail.  See below for my ED80.  I have also used brass shims between the dovetail bar and scope ring when I had my 130PDS set up semi-permanently.

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.0567e9a814c0e2f63af1b74be79e057e.JPG

Mercury transit....

IMG_0384.JPG.dd444f7bed3a54b0e5b00f59c7d610b7.JPG

That's great info, thanks! I've used a guide scope mount in the past for this, but your suggestion makes much more sense. I'd don't quite know why some dual head mounts won't align perfect in az but often they don't! 

Before adjusting in Az I  just push gently on the 2nd scope in Az to see which way the adjustment needs to be and adjust the appropriate end of the dovetail. The adjustment required is very small.

Novice alert - can I ask why you are setting up two telescopes like this - is it for imaging or just for observing - what advantages are you getting?  NB.  this is just an 'idle curiosity' type question.

6 minutes ago, JOC said:

Novice alert - can I ask why you are setting up two telescopes like this - is it for imaging or just for observing - what advantages are you getting?  NB.  this is just an 'idle curiosity' type question.

In the images above the scopes do two different things... Those photographs show Solar setups, with one scope showing the sun through a white light system and the other through a Hydrogen Alpha system. 

In other instances, at night, one side may carry a wide field refractor and the other a SCT... Like Stu and I do.

IMG_4988.JPG.e73c4962519ec947e227c4bae76880c3.thumb.JPG.37e3f1561600ebb26c73cf51b4d52209.JPG

55 minutes ago, John said:

I was able to get both the PST and the Vixen refractor pointing at exactly the same place with the Skytee II mount (also being used for outreach). No drives on that mount though.

solarkit01.JPG

I guess in this instance you have AZ adjustment on the PST via the connection with the dovetail because the PST is mounted on top. That's not an option on the AZEQ6 and similar mounts

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I used the Guidescope mount to get the adjustment in this setup

IMG_4985.JPG

Stu

Off topic briefly, but do you power your dew heater from a rechargeable pack in your chalk bag or one powered by conventional batteries ? I'm trying to work out a way we might get power out to Namibia for a Dew Heater without having to take a heavy rechargeable pack with us.

Simon

37 minutes ago, Racey said:

Stu

Off topic briefly, but do you power your dew heater from a rechargeable pack in your chalk bag or one powered by conventional batteries ? I'm trying to work out a way we might get power out to Namibia for a Dew Heater without having to take a heavy rechargeable pack with us.

Simon

The bag just had the dew heater in it, it was powered by one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-22ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

There are smaller/lighter/cheaper capacities available which may be fine just for dew heaters.

Back on topic... sorry OP :) 

Archived