Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon & jupiter tonight

Nathan UK

Hey everyone.....

Sorry I haven't posted in a while , 

I might be new but I haven't gave up ???

hopefully the good people of SGL I spoke to remember me.

well tonights sky wasn't good at all but I managed to see a beautiful view of Jupiter & the Galilean moons , all four moons were visable and in a really lovely position which I really appreciated and I also had a good observe of our moon .

I also tried viewing the m51 but every time I got close to my target the clouds decided to block the way.

For those of you who have never spoke to me and those who can't remember my current scope is the Skywatcher explorer 130p EQ2, 

i have also been having a little go of Afocal iPhone photography while  using a iPhone mount and nightcap pro,

unfortunitly I couldn't manage to get any decent shots of Jupiter as the weather wasn't permitting it due to cloud and I couldn't stay out long enough to wait for them to pass but I did get a couple of shots of the moon which as a complete novice I am proud of. I also think that the blue I  produced playing with the W/B made the moon look cool as hell, reminded me of Star Wars or something haha. Anyway I hope your all keeping well and here are my moon shots below,

Nathan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good to have you back Nathan, and glad you had a reasonable session despite the Cloud.

Nice pics too! I'm partial to a bit of iPhone AP myself so am always pleased to see others giving this a go. I use the app ProCam 4 and find it gives excellent control of exposure and focus for the moon and planets. Nightcap seems better for longer exposures of DSOs

Look forward to hearing more of your reports :) 

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Good to have you back Nathan, and glad you had a reasonable session despite the Cloud.

Nice pics too! I'm partial to a bit of iPhone AP myself so am always pleased to see others giving this a go. I use the app ProCam 4 and find it gives excellent control of exposure and focus for the moon and planets. Nightcap seems better for longer exposures of DSOs

Look forward to hearing more of your reports :) 

Thanks for the kind words Stu,

this has been my first observation in a short while due to life getting in the way (thus the reason I haven't been posting)

i really appreciate your tip on procam4 and night cap pro.....

i have noticed with night cap pro when ever trying to take a image of Jupiter for example,

to get any detail on Jupiter the settings go to dark to capture the moons as well... Hoping pro cam4 might help with this? If not atleast it will make my images of the moon and planets abit better.

will download it at some point later today,

nathan 

22 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Welcome back, Nathan - was wondering where you'd got to.  Glad you haven't given up!

Doug.

Thanks Doug, was just a little unwanted break due to weather and a few personal issues but was really pleased to have a brief session yesterday.

This is my go to place for questions and sharing reports ?

Hope your keeping well buddy

Nathan

1 hour ago, Nathan UK said:

Thanks for the kind words Stu,

this has been my first observation in a short while due to life getting in the way (thus the reason I haven't been posting)

i really appreciate your tip on procam4 and night cap pro.....

i have noticed with night cap pro when ever trying to take a image of Jupiter for example,

to get any detail on Jupiter the settings go to dark to capture the moons as well... Hoping pro cam4 might help with this? If not atleast it will make my images of the moon and planets abit better.

will download it at some point later today,

nathan 

Hi Nathan,

You are welcome.

I have had some success with Jupiter, see the attached image which captured detail on the surface plus two moons (one just peeking out from behind the planet). I managed Venus too.

I also use PS Express, another phone app which helps a lot with processing.

Stu

EDIT Added one of M42 taken with NightCap :) 

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hi Nathan,

You are welcome.

I have had some success with Jupiter, see the attached image which captured detail on the surface plus two moons (one just peeking out from behind the planet). I managed Venus too.

I also use PS Express, another phone app which helps a lot with processing.

Stu

EDIT Added one of M42 taken with NightCap :) 

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

Again thanks for the advice mate I will get that app also.

great images buddy

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Glad you're back Nathan, and a nice report. It sounds like you had a good session. Hope to see more of you on SGL and plenty more reports.

Firstly thank you for the kind words and warm welcome back ? 

You will see me about John I'm not going anywhere,

plus when I start going night fishing this season I will be taking my scope to use while I wait for the alarms to scream :-) and we all know sometimes carping you can wait days for a bite at times

PeterW, stormaurora thanks for your comment guys ...

the moon and Jupiter where in a lovely position to catch them in one  FOV , if only the clouds permitted me to photograph it :-( arghhhh well that's astronomy for ya!

theres always next time when ever that may be.

hope the sky's are clear for you all and hope to hear some productive observation reports from guys on the near future

Archived