Camera Quark

Davey-T

It does seem to be a bit of a case of making a product for the product' sake. They could surely just make the adaptors available so people could configure the Quark however they want?

1 hour ago, Ewan said:

I have been wondering Dave with a few adapters or something else if you could get a 'standard' Quark to do this, im sure it would be possible.

Looks perfectly possible to knock up your own adapter.

Dave

Apart from the possibility of creating your own adapter, I would not advocate a DSLR for H-alpha imaging, because your will only be using 1/4 of the pixels. I am not sure certain lenses (especially with plastic components) would fare well without an ERF to keep out most of the heat. After all, Petzval scope designs are not recommended for use with a quark, because the rear elements will bear the brunt of solar radiation. Likewise, I would think a classic telephoto (which is roughly a fast objective with a matched Barlow) would have similar problems

13 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Apart from the possibility of creating your own adapter, I would not advocate a DSLR for H-alpha imaging, because your will only be using 1/4 of the pixels. I am not sure certain lenses (especially with plastic components) would fare well without an ERF to keep out most of the heat. After all, Petzval scope designs are not recommended for use with a quark, because the rear elements will bear the brunt of solar radiation. Likewise, I would think a classic telephoto (which is roughly a fast objective with a matched Barlow) would have similar problems

Bit of a provisio but only above 80mm ? perhaps it's just to cash in on the upcoming eclipse, not sure what colour Sun you'd end up with :grin:

Camera-Quark3.png.6e8bf0805ea0fb0d82bbde9cffdc1876.png

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

Bit of a provisio but only above 80mm ? perhaps it's just to cash in on the upcoming eclipse, not sure what colour Sun you'd end up with :grin:

Camera-Quark3.png.6e8bf0805ea0fb0d82bbde9cffdc1876.png

Dave

I would still not be comfortable pointing my 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L at the sun. You end up with a red sun, regardless of the front filter, because the H-alpha bandpass of the quark removes all other wavelengths

4 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I would still not be comfortable pointing my 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L at the sun. You end up with a red sun, regardless of the front filter, because the H-alpha bandpass of the quark removes all other wavelengths

Nor me, definitely looks like something introduced to cash in on the eclipse for folk not into astronomy in general.

I did see an article where NASA ? possibly, are handing out free solar kit to people on the totality path to gather data for them, they then get to keep the gear afterwards.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Nor me, definitely looks like something introduced to cash in on the eclipse for folk not into astronomy in general.

I did see an article where NASA ? possibly, are handing out free solar kit to people on the totality path to gather data for them, they then get to keep the gear afterwards.

Dave

Did not see that article. Do you have a link? I will be in the eclipse path, with part of my own kit, but if NASA hands out stuff, I will certainly not say no!

Just now, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Did not see that article. Do you have a link? I will be in the eclipse path, with part of my own kit, but if NASA hands out stuff, I will certainly not say no!

Will see if it's in my history, don't think I saved it.

I'd imagine it's only for USA residents :grin:

Dave

10 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

OK, then my friend from Longmont, Colorado where I will be staying may qualify

Found this one but not sure if it's the one I saw before as it doesn't mention getting to keep the kit.

Dave

https://sites.google.com/site/citizencateexperiment/

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Found this one but not sure if it's the one I saw before as it doesn't mention getting to keep the kit.

Dave

https://sites.google.com/site/citizencateexperiment/

Come to think of it, I had spotted that, but it is impractical for me to go to the training events :D

Archived