Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

erratic azimuth neq6

Hi All,

I am getting closer to having a permanent pier but until then I have to make do with the tripod and dealing with the fact I need to move it once in a while.

(its that special time of year that involves dusting off the lawnmower)

I seem to constantly have issues using php2 and polar alignment. Even if I am very careful and only make small adjustments the graph can jump from over 100+ in both east and west.

I do remember the first time I used it I could make small adjustments and this would show as small adjustments on the graph.

I am using a st80 and qhy5.

Is this a mechanical fault, software fault or is it the user.

I slacken off the middle screw just a touch to allow the head to move and only turn the azi bolts by less than 1/8th of a turn.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Spill.

Your procedure seems correct. Where do you have the drift star? For az adjustment it must be near the meridian (south), and ideally close to the celestial equator. For me at 60 deg latitude, that is 30 degrees above the horizon.

Another Doh!! moment. I had forgotten that I had remove my guide scope to make a bar for a more secure fitment. When I place it all back together the rotation of the guide scope was wrong.

After some quick adjustments its all back to normal. I put this down to the weather stopping me from regularly using my kit.

Don't you haul out your gear whenever there's risk of a gap in the clouds? I do:

(:wink:)

1. Set up tripod

2. Level

3. Set up mount

4. Attach scope

5. Attach guide scope

6. Balance

7. Star alignment

8. Polar alignment

9. Set up guiding software

10. :clouds1:

11. Detach guide scope

12. Detach scope

13. Take down mount

14. Watch skies clear

15. :BangHead:

I'm getting pretty good at setting up my gear to be ready just in time for clouds to move in.

Kind of but it goes.

1. sky looks clear

2. look for leads for about 1/2 hour

3. forget torch stumble around for a while trying to manage without it

4. have a cuppa and grab torch.

5. set up laptop and mount to polar align

6. spend half hour or so with pa

7. attach scope and balance

8. connect everything up

9. look up only to see the clouds rolling in and manage a couple subs that I end up binning.

10. pack it all up making sure I pull all the leads somewhere I will find them for next time. You now that really safe place.

11. go back in and have a drink and look at what other people have manged in the time I have wasted.

1 hour ago, triton1 said:

I seem to drink a lot of tea ☕️ once the scopes been set up and then revert to alcohol when it's packed away when the skies clear.

"At this point we would like to advise our audience not to drink and slew at the same time."

And guide responsibly.

Cheers,

47 minutes ago, wimvb said:

"At this point we would like to advise our audience not to drink and slew at the same time."

And guide responsibly.

Cheers,

very sensible. staggering around the garden tripping over leads is not very health and safety. hic*

32 minutes ago, spillage said:

very sensible. staggering around the garden tripping over leads is not very health and safety. hic*

And those lawnmover things could easily chop off a toe, for your own safety and increased leisure time rip up the lawn and install astroturf, stays green year round and never needs mowing........result I say.

Archived