Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aran Islands (Irish Dark Sky Site)

Jeff-Colorado

I'm in Ireland this week and was on the Aran Islands yesterday. What an amazing dark sky site! It is fairly easy to get to (flight to Dublin, direct bus from Dublin airport to Galway, then daily bus/ferry runs to the main island) and breathtakingly beautiful, with cliffs that exceed the views of Moher.

Have any of you been there with binoculars (that was all I had) or a telescope?

I've never been out onto the Aran Islands - I'd say the sky is stunning on a clear moonless night ;) I've been on Cape Clear Island off the very South Westerly tip of Ireland, and the night sky was incredible - so dark - but no scope sadly.

I hope you got to see some of the Burren region in Clare - a beautiful unique part of the country.  There's a star party there in the Autumn which I hope to make it to with my scope.

Enjoy your stay! :) Where else are you planning to visit?

Also, if you have time to spare and can do it (are you driving or on a week long tour?)..........a trip to the Burren (County Clare) is well worth a visit. Fantastic dark skies at night (clouds permitting). 

When i travel out West or NW (Donegal), or even SW (Kerry)..............i always bring a pair of 10x50 bins. The cloudy east coast weather usually follows me though (at night time anyways.)

If you like it dark...........do a trip down into the Aillwee Caves (County Clare). 

P.S.~I have to question your comment about the cliffs of the Aran Islands being better than the cliffs of Moher. The Cliffs Of Moher are just stunningly beautiful (and a bit scary). Years ago you could go right up the edge and lie down and tilt your hear backwards (i did it many times before i discovered i have veritgo). Its not allowed now and you can not go right to the edge. People still do and a few have been carried off the edge by high winds. Its a 1000ft drop to the bottom.

IF at all possible, try to squeeze in a visit to Kerry (Skellig Rock,Ring Of Kerry,Valencia Island,Killarney National Park etc). Absolutely the most stunning part of Ireland i have ever been to.

Nice Spring weather we are having at the moment. 

+1 for Skellig: even the 1.5hr boat trip out from Portmagee to circle the Skellig rocks is something I guarantee that you will remember for a lifetime.  Around the headland is Ballinskelligs, one of my favourite spots in Ireland (and a Gold Tier Dark Sky reserve region).  There's a great star party held there in August each year.

Ha ha - yep - lying down and looking over the edge of the Cliffs of Moher is a pretty scarey experience! I was dismayed to see the fencing up nowadays, though it is hard to believe that more people weren't killed in years gone by.

I was in Kerry (Ring Of) back in about 2007 during the Easter break. Fantastic 3 day break (the boat trip from Portmagee around the Skelligs etc). Was even lucky enough to spot a couple of Dolphin and a whale (not sure what kind). My hotel was situated right on the edge of a cliff on the peninsula (not the Dingle peninsula.......the one below it).

I could barely understand a word the locals were saying. I made more sense out of conversations i had with a German tourist staying in the same hotel (and i dont even speak German). 

I also saw a common European lizard on Valencia Island. It's probably the only area in Ireland where any lizard (reptile) species still exists (they are in West Cork also).

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back in Colorado now. I did visit the Burren, Aillwee Cave, and Clifton. Saw seals right off the coast. Irish is spoken there more than English (though of course everyone speaks both).  I laid down, on my stomach, with my head over the cliffs. Breathtaking view. The Cliffs of Mother are beautiful too, but much more crowded, and yes, people get too close to the edge taking selfies.

I'd love to see the Skelligs. Maybe next trip.

Archived