Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Sunofsomething

Looking for info on a scope I found in classifieds.

So I'm on the lookout for a first scope and I found an advertisement for a Meade 2060 LX6 in my local classifieds for $675 CAD. 

I tried looking up this particular scope and it seems that it's an older model, so there isn't much to be found in the way of reviews or manufacturer information. Does anyone have experience with this type of scope? Would it be good for a beginner? It's just a little above my price range, considering that I was looking into getting a SkyWatcher 8" dob ($550 CAD).

It seems as if the guy is offering a mount a fork mount along with it, as well as some other accessories.

Here's the original text of the ad:

Clean MEADE 2080 LX6 wide field schmidt cassegrain telescope with Meade wedge (with fine tune knob), heavy field tripod (large enough for 10"), Meade LX6 quarts drive fork mount with Hand box and Meade dec motor installed, 8x50 finder, piggy back mount and choices of either a celestron visual back and diagonal (1.25) plus a Vixen 20mm NPL eyepiece or Celestron Plossl 26mm. OR a Meade 2" hybrid back with 1.25" insert one one of the above eyepieces and front cap. 
Note: front cap does not sit fully as I have replaced the collimation screws with knobs for easier collimation. I can put the original screws back in for you but you collimate. 

The inner coating on the corrector plate is faded in one section from a cleaning years ago. No idea why that happened but dos not effect viewing so never bothered me. 

The LX6 line-up was designed with a bright f6.3 Multi coated optical group (1280mm fl) as opposed to the usual f10 2100+/- set ups in most 8" sct scopes. These were designed for brighter, wide field viewing where nebulae, star fields and the like were more targeted than high-power planetary viewing and are great for imaging purposes. 

That said, lots of aperture for higher power eyepieces and the Saturn rings are easily made out even from my part-country location at 26x or more. Venus in phase is brilliant (it is in phase now with a lower crescent position.) 
$675 for set up 1 and $775 for set-up 2. 

These are not toys. This is not a goto. 

Also includes Meade travel case and literature. 

Located 1/2 hr west of NewMarket. 

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The F/6.3 Meade schmidt-cassegrains were not that popular when they came out. I'd recommend having a look at Rod Mollise's excellent, comprehensive and free (!) guide to use schmidt-cassegrains. You can download it here:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/index.htm

PS: I think page 36 covers the Meade LX6's

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Hi . I would go for a skywatcher 200p if it was me ( 8" dob). This would be a great scope for your budget. Would be great on planetary and lunar and a good way of getting into the DSO. A "proper" first scope. On a Dobson mount, so up down, and side to side to track and locate objects . A very simple but effective scope.The SW 200p is probably the best bang for buck scope on the market for the beginner .

I hope the above helps☺

3 minutes ago, John said:

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The F/6.3 Meade schmidt-cassegrains were not that popular when they came out. I'd recommend having a look at Rod Mollise's excellent, comprehensive and free (!) guide to use schmidt-cassegrains. You can download it here:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/index.htm

Wow, I never imagined anything so comprehensive was out there. I'm just getting into the hobby and I've been startled at every turn at how dedicated a lot of people seem to be!

Thanks for your reply!

5 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hi . I would go for a skywatcher 200p if it was me ( 8" dob). This would be a great scope for your budget. Would be great on planetary and lunar and a good way of getting into the DSO. A "proper" first scope. On a Dobson mount, so up down, and side to side to track and locate objects . A very simple but effective scope.The SW 200p is probably the best bang for buck scope on the market for the beginner .

I hope the above helps☺

Yeah I think I agree, I've been asking around in other places and I've visited a few shops and every time I consider a scope other than an 8" dob, I just turn around and go back to the 8". Seems like the pros outweigh the cons every time for a beginner.

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

I hope the above helps☺

Being that the OP is in Canada, I'd probably recommend the Zhumell Z8 Deluxe Dobsonian as a much better bang for the buck than the Skywatcher 8" Dob for about the additional price of a single eyepiece ($44).  It comes with a two speed focuser, primary cooling fan, a right angle finderscope, adjustable azimuth bearings, and somewhat better included eyepieces.  This all assumes shipping and duties don't kill the deal (NAFTA?).

I would also recommend an 8 inch DOB for a first scope. The Zhumell is not available in this country but the specs look good.

I think the Zhumell's are the same as the TS Services and Revelation dobs in Europe and the UK. Made by GSO and pretty decent performers.

Edited by John

4 hours ago, John said:

I think the Zhumell's are the same as the TS Services and Revelation dobs in Europe and the UK. Made by GSO and pretty decent performers.

Yes, the TS GSO 8-inch f/6 Dobsonian Telescope Deluxe Version and the Revelation 8" F/6 M-CRF Premium Dobsonian do look the part aside from the right angle finderscope.  How well received are they versus the Synta (Skywatcher) Dobs in the UK?  I think Zhumell is the only one offering the GSO in the US.  There are multiple Synta retailers.

I used to have a LX6, I have remounted the F/6.3 OTA on a LX200GPS  GoTo mount.

The F/6.3's have coma in the corners, but apart from that I don't have any issues with the OTA, holds collimation very well.

The LX6 mount is fine for visual, but requires a difficult mod to the handbox to enable guiding.

The mount has trainable PEC, and all the Meade accessories will fit it.

I would say it is way overpriced given the fading on the secondary and the age, so I would go for the new scopes suggested, or offer $450 Canadian for the Meade, if it gives good views on test.

Michael

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this